FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Google Summer of Code
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25800 is a reply to message #25799] Fri, 12 March 2010 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
andrei_natanael wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 10:30

About GSOC Idea page, doesn't have mentors for each idea to be listed there? Who are u++ mentors? Until now i guess Mirek and Koldo.

Hello Andrei

Some open source projects that apply to Gsoc have now mentors but others do not.

The Gsoc mentorship also requires between other requirements:
- Time: The student will work full day and the mentor has to support him/her
- Interested: You as mentor have to love the project

I think the mentorship would have to be very public using Forum and Wiki actively. This way the student would receive support not only from the mentor but from the full community.

Also the mentorship could not be directly related to Gsoc. It could be just part or our strategy with new and energetic contributors. IMO it is key to develop a clear "Welcome Manual" that a newbie with ideas, skills and time can read to begin fast in U++.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25852 is a reply to message #25695] Mon, 15 March 2010 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Ultimate++ project application to Google Summer of Code has been submitted.

During this week Google will decide which projects will participate in this program.

The competence is awesome: all main Open Source projects apply to GSoC. And the number of available slots is limited.

Outside U++ I have heard an opinion saying (in simplified version) that GSoC is not interesting because long term supporters are convinced with the project. And convinced people works for free (like you, and you, and you, ... Smile ).

Well, I think this opinion is oversimplified because (in simplified version Smile ):

- GSoC is a world wide program. If anybody is concerned about PR (public relations) well, many of the BIG projects are in.

- Students apply for it because:
-- It is excellent for their curriculum
-- They get about 5k$

- We want this great students working full time for our project. And we have to convince them because we want them inside, also after GSoC.

- This is not granted for free: We have to work a lot in, at least:
-- Students selection
-- Project management
-- Mentorship (a lot of work)

However, the good thing of this is that we have to develop a system that:
- coming from the very first day of a person in U++ to be the new Mirek Wink
- will let this skilled, polite, organized, easy going and handsome person to get it in a finite deadline
- arranging the project and the community as the same thing.

Because GSoC lasts few months.

But U++ is opened 365/24:

- to give all programmers the best tools
- and to receive
--- more or less skilled people
--- with more or less time
--- but feeling that here there is something worth spending their valuable time.

Well, and that is great. Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25865 is a reply to message #25852] Tue, 16 March 2010 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Very excited News!

Sorry for my delay, I was busy with OCP(Oracle Certified Professional) exams.

And now go back to u++!

My new intentions is:
1. To integrate open ocilib(http://orclib.sourceforge.net/) in u++
2. Finish to test and integrate google v8 for runtime developing
3. Finish to integrate xlslib to u++
4. Finish to make a variant of Plugin framework

If is other more important task lets put by importance and complete it!

Best regards, Ion Lupascu (tojocky)

[Updated on: Tue, 16 March 2010 21:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25867 is a reply to message #25865] Tue, 16 March 2010 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
tojocky wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 20:40

Very excited News!

Sorry for my delay, I was busy with OCP(Oracle Certified Professional) exams.

And now go back to u++!

My new intentions is:
1. To integrate open ocilib(http://orclib.sourceforge.net/) in u++
2. Finish to test and integrate google v8 for runtime developing
3. Finish to integrate xlslib to u++
4. Finish to make a variant of Plugin framework

If is other more important task lets put by importance and complete it!

Best regards, Ion Lupascu (tojocky)

Hello tojocky, welcome back Smile

Have you passed the exams ?

Thank you for your offer. Please try to include additional info, trying to follow the "ideas" page format here http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$gsoc$en-us.html.

They could be or not in GSoC. However it is a good basic form to get an idea about them.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25873 is a reply to message #25867] Wed, 17 March 2010 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi all,

I know this may be to late, but Koldo told me it isn't so here it is:

My idea would have been to make an Upp plugin/feature for eclipse.
It would bring to eclipse the following things:
- C/C++ GUI creation / form editor
- UPP project / package management
- Upp iml editor
- C++ SQL management
- translation facilities
- integrated app documentation
- portable GUI apps
- ... all the Upp strengths

It would benefit from eclipse the following things:
- great C/C++ parser
- complete completion
- call graph
- include graph
- ... all the full featured C/C++ editor functions

And since there are no C/C++ GUI designers in eclipse, I would expect a very quick response from the eclipse community/users.

This would definitely push Upp to light Smile

Maybe this is compatible with Mirek's idea of Upp being a library ?

Maybe this could also fit in the eclipse GSoC ?

Finally, the mentoring would need, at least an experienced eclipse developer ( maybe the student ? ) and a good Upp developer with deep knowledge of the Upp mechanics.
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25876 is a reply to message #25873] Wed, 17 March 2010 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Didier wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 00:03

Hi all,

I know this may be to late, but Koldo told me it isn't so here it is:

My idea would have been to make an Upp plugin/feature for eclipse.
It would bring to eclipse the following things:
- C/C++ GUI creation / form editor
- UPP project / package management
- Upp iml editor
- C++ SQL management
- translation facilities
- integrated app documentation
- portable GUI apps
- ... all the Upp strengths

It would benefit from eclipse the following things:
- great C/C++ parser
- complete completion
- call graph
- include graph
- ... all the full featured C/C++ editor functions

And since there are no C/C++ GUI designers in eclipse, I would expect a very quick response from the eclipse community/users.

This would definitely push Upp to light Smile

Maybe this is compatible with Mirek's idea of Upp being a library ?

Maybe this could also fit in the eclipse GSoC ?

Finally, the mentoring would need, at least an experienced eclipse developer ( maybe the student ? ) and a good Upp developer with deep knowledge of the Upp mechanics.

Hello Didier

If this could be done in few months, it could be valid for GSoC (I do not have experience in Eclipse so I cannot answer)

What do you think about it Mirek ?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25878 is a reply to message #25867] Wed, 17 March 2010 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Hello Koldo,

yes, I have passed the exams.

Thanks for hint Koldo, I will try to include additional info!

koldo wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 22:42

Hello tojocky, welcome back Smile

Have you passed the exams ?

Thank you for your offer. Please try to include additional info, trying to follow the "ideas" page format here http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$gsoc$en-us.html.

They could be or not in GSoC. However it is a good basic form to get an idea about them.

Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25903 is a reply to message #25695] Thu, 18 March 2010 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Hi,
Seems that Upp didn't get in GSOC this year Sad
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google /gsoc2010
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25905 is a reply to message #25903] Thu, 18 March 2010 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
andrei_natanael wrote on Thu, 18 March 2010 21:56

Hi,
Seems that Upp didn't get in GSOC this year Sad
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google /gsoc2010

Yes it is

We have received this afternoon a very kind answer from Google informing us that this year it has not been possible to accept us and encouraging us to reapply net year.

The good thing is that this releases us from the pressure of this program now.

From today we have one full year to prepare us for next application.

In addition all the organization we are going to setup will be useful from the beginning. To be in GSoC will be a sweet cake but we will begin to eat cookies shortly Smile

Now more than ever we all are U++.

Best regards
Iñaki

[Updated on: Thu, 18 March 2010 22:44]

Re: Google Summer of Code [message #26017 is a reply to message #25905] Fri, 26 March 2010 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

GSoC organization has been very kind again Smile by sending us some advices about our application:

The ideas list was not very well fleshed out. Especially for organizations that have not participated previously, they like to:
- see links to further documentation in each idea
- contact information for a potential mentor
- links to source code for students to check out, etc.

We did a good job of classifying each idea according to difficulty, but all of our ideas were either medium or difficult, which can be a barrier to GSoC students who do not already have knowledge of U++.

They recommend beefing up our ideas list and to look for ways to take the experience of onboard new contributors to include it in next year GSoC application.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31137 is a reply to message #26017] Wed, 09 February 2011 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unknown user
Hello,

Google announced GSoC 2011 program so i think we need to start thinking at it. I would like to apply for same application from last year - KDE port of U++.
IMO would be good if we would have (*as a choice*, because i know U++ is mainly statically linked):

- U++ as a library - lib files for simple linkage from other IDE's and dll/so to make it easier to write plugins which use U++.
- Selecting theme engine at runtime - a .so file which provide theming for KDE and another for Gnome - part of that will be solved by my GSoC application - if user doesn't have any DM based on gtk/qt then U++ style will be used.

Andrei
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31139 is a reply to message #31137] Wed, 09 February 2011 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Yeah, we should really start working on the application...

Another thing still missing from U++ (aside from above mentioned theming) is BrowserCtrl. Any student who happens to know a bit about webkit internals (or any other engine) could do a great job at making the U++ bindings Wink

Honza
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31163 is a reply to message #31139] Fri, 11 February 2011 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello

GSoC 2011 new pages are set here.

The initial ideas page is here with your ideas. Please add more details. It will give us more possibilities.

Pages are open to you. Edit them as much as possible Smile.

Read our 2010 experience (very important! Smile )

GSoC main page is here. Of course it is a must to read it.

Please add as much doc. as possible. It is not enough to include links to other good projects. The possibilities are limited so we have to be more active and interesting than others.

If you do not want to update uppweb put the texts and somebody will do it for yourself. It is much better to put organized doc. in the web than just in the Forum.

Now it is the time to participate! Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31174 is a reply to message #31163] Fri, 11 February 2011 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unknown user
Hello Koldo,

Thanks for setting up the pages for GSoC 2011.

In my previous post regarding U++ as a library i've only said what I think would be fine to have Smile I'm not the original author of the idea for GSoC, it was proposed last year too and it was also discussed some years ago in forum. I think it would solve some problems we have now about creating plugins which use U++. If we don't have a dll/so then U++ code should be linked statically with every plugin and i think nobody wants to have a plugin which is 2MB+ and there are also other problems regarding that.

Regarding my second wish - "Selecting theme engine at runtime" i've said that it will be solved as part of my proposal for GSoC 2011 and it is the same as it was in 2010 - U++ port to KDE, so if you're kind you may copy the details from U++ GSoC 2010 page. If "U++ port to KDE" will be accepted in GSoC 2011 then - "Selecting theme engine at runtime" will be part of it, because currently is impossible to have gtk and qt theming in same application in U++, and because of that, when creating KDE theming for U++ one will have to make it loadable at runtime make U++ select at runtime to use gtk or qt. I don't see other way to have KDE look and feel for a U++ application.

It is possible to have also "Selecting theme engine at runtime" and part of that would be:
- port current U++ gtk+ theming part to a dynamic library
- add U++ support to load it (and qt theming part if ever provided) at runtime
- make possible for developers who want to have only gtk/qt theming available at compile time (statically linked), so there should be no dynamic library provided if developer choose to use qt or gtk theming

To explain why it is important:
1. having U++ as dll/so and lib is important for plugins, using U++ in other IDE's
2. having U++ qt theming is important to have same look and feel in KDE as KDE applications
3. having theming "engines" as .so files make our applications only depend on X11 if we choose so and if any qt/gtk is present use that for theming else use U++ default theme.

I don't have now time to explain more detailed but I think maybe it's enough to figure out what i wanted to say.

Andrei

P.S.: I'm still a student (master degree), that's why i wanted to apply to GSoC (with U++ port to KDE). I don't want to be mentor at last not yet, but if that's necessary i may think at that. Rolling Eyes

P.P.S.: Why U++ port to KDE? Because when using KDE i dislike having to install tone of gtk+/gnome libs only to use one application and when using Gnome i dislike installing tone of libs from qt/kde. So i thinkg U++ with X11 dependencies and qt/gtk at runtime will be a best solution (despite Mirek's beliefs about dll hell Razz )
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31178 is a reply to message #25695] Fri, 11 February 2011 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raxvan is currently offline  raxvan
Hello,

I propose to make from TheIde infrastructure a distributed build system with a server/client structure running TCP/IP.
Smile
I think this can be pulled of with a medium amount of effort because TheIde already has a build system.

Raxvan.

92b48bf94855483bb4cec8bcc8c0c933
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31181 is a reply to message #31178] Fri, 11 February 2011 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

raxvan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 17:05

I propose to make from TheIde infrastructure a distributed build system with a server/client structure running TCP/IP.
Smile
I think this can be pulled of with a medium amount of effort because TheIde already has a build system.
And it already has the ability to build on remote machines Very Happy That would be very little work Wink
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31185 is a reply to message #31181] Fri, 11 February 2011 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raxvan is currently offline  raxvan
dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 18:05

raxvan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 17:05

Smile
And it already has the ability to build on remote machines Very Happy That would be very little work Wink

Really.. ? I had no idea. Then this would be my next big thing i will try to do after i finish the include assist Smile.

92b48bf94855483bb4cec8bcc8c0c933
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31188 is a reply to message #31185] Fri, 11 February 2011 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hey all

It is great to have you here.

Please do not post ideas in Forum, post them in uppweb Smile (or both).

Please try to edit following the format (or improving it). I mean, fill ALL these fields:

- Proposed by
- Difficulty
- Experience required
- Description
- Mentors
- Roadmap

If you are an student, you can propose a project. Fill these fields as much as you can, but describing it all well, and post it in the Forum.

In next posts we will give you more details.

Best regards
Iñaki

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2011 23:00]

Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31198 is a reply to message #25695] Sat, 12 February 2011 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

It is very important to have ideas of various difficulties listed in the ideas section. So far there has been only very difficult tasks and we ain't gonna lure those students to work for us if we offer them only hard work Twisted Evil

So I just added a new, simple idea to write a GUI frontend for git, with possible integration into TheIDE, similar to usvn. If you have another any ideas from the simple to medium parts of the spectrum, please fill them in as well.

Honza
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31201 is a reply to message #31198] Sun, 13 February 2011 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

U++ GSoC pages have been updated.

Please check them and fix immediately any defect you could find.

If you want deeper changes you are welcome. Lets talk them in Forum.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: About Painter vs OpenGL
Next Topic: Question about pick behaviour
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:34:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01249 seconds