Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Tutoring Plan
Tutoring Plan [message #26253] Sun, 18 April 2010 16:01 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Sometimes when I have tried to use some open source project I tried to ask questions in the Forum and I did not find enough support. Because of it I had to leave it.

To avoid that in U++ and training us looking to GSoC I wanted to propose you a "Tutoring Plan".

This plan would let a person to have assigned a Tutor during a short term of time giving them a reasonable support to let them enter in U++ world.

Proposal

- Duration: 2 weeks per person

- The plan is anonymous. If the programmer wants his/her name will not be known

- To enter it can be sent an email indicating:
-- Forum name
-- Areas where they expect to use U++

- The possible tutors would receive an email. If someone is available, the tutoring will begin

- The Tutor will give a reasonable support to tutored person, letting him/her to know different U++ resources like documentation and Forum, and answering questions

- This tutoring will be a training for Tutors focusing to GSoC

It is true that this is really done nowadays in Forum.

However it is also true that people use to be shy and do not want to ask many question showing everybody that they are newbies. If they have a way to ask many questions and receive a personal support they perhaps would enter in U++ more easily.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Tutoring Plan [message #26256 is a reply to message #26253] Sun, 18 April 2010 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
That is a good idea but there will always be a time lag between a question and a response.

Here are a few suggestions from a newbie:
Have another menu item to the right of "Setup" called "Help".
That is what most people are used to, having "Help" under "Assist" is a bit confusing.

The "Manual" is good, being able to access that from "Help" and opened in a separate
window/browser even when offline. If that is a separate download the default location
could be a subdirectory under MyApps.

One of the problems with most forums is some are too lazy to use the "Search" in that Forum,
it is easier to just post a question, having a tutor may just promote this.

I have found the help on this forum to be very good.

If this would be something to fill a requirement to get into the
GSoC then it would be good.
icon14.gif  Re: Tutoring Plan [message #26265 is a reply to message #26256] Mon, 19 April 2010 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Koldo,

Very interesting idea. You are right that it works like this in forum now, but it would definitely lower the barrier for shy programmers.

nlneilson wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 22:07

That is a good idea but there will always be a time lag between a question and a response.

Actually the tutor and tutored person can make an agreement and meet on irc/icq/{whatever IM system}, let's say every two days for an hour or so. That would make the cooperation much faster then through the forum or mail.

Here are a few suggestions from a newbie:
Have another menu item to the right of "Setup" called "Help".
That is what most people are used to, having "Help" under "Assist" is a bit confusing.

Yes, this is true. Not having Help menu is like having no help at all. People are sometimes too lazy to hit F1 not even to mention to search for help in non-standard locations...

The "Manual" is good, being able to access that from "Help" and opened in a separate
window/browser even when offline. If that is a separate download the default location
could be a subdirectory under MyApps.

You mean like having off-line html version of help? Topic++ contains the same info and you can have it in separate tab. But actually exporting html help would be really easy, basically just running uppweb with few extra lines of code to exclude forum and ads...

But back to the tutoring: I like the idea and I would probably use it myself if it existed when I started to use U++. Count on my help as far as my skills go Smile

Regards,
Honza
Re: Tutoring Plan [message #26272 is a reply to message #26265] Tue, 20 April 2010 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
I was thinking about giving it an informal and nice name.

I do not know, perhaps something giving idea that U++ is easy including words like pushover or breeze, or with the meaning of a small push to U++ Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Tutoring Plan [message #26273 is a reply to message #26272] Tue, 20 April 2010 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

IMO we (a U++ community) should first of all prepare nice and well structured U++ "newbie" tutorial. This tutorial should be a part of TheIDE docs as well as U++ site. This tutorial should also have massive number of links from this tutorial to reference help pages.
Tutorials we have now are poorly structured and mostly isolated from help system itself.
About 1-2 years ago I started making this tutorial (currently a part of articles structure is ready) but didn't have enough time to finish it.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 April 2010 08:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #26908 is a reply to message #26273] Tue, 08 June 2010 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

This is a call for all that would like to join as U++ tutors.

If you think you could give support during a couple of weeks to somebody that wants to enter in U++ world you can enter as a tutor.

A tutor can reduce the fear of somebody to enter in U++ Community, inviting her/him to use the documentation and Forum properly, pushing her/him to interact with the Community and giving her/him shield in case (very rare) of any possibility of flame over her/him.

Advantages of this are to be useful and respected by the Community and to be trained to be a Mentor if next year we get into Google Summer of Code.

To join in U++ Tutoring Plan you would have to indicate:
- If your name will be published or you prefer to be anonymous (but to the tutored person Smile )

- Level of the person to be tutored:
-- In U++
-- In C/C++

- Interests of the person to be tutored:
-- Database

With all the tutors we will agree details of the Tutoring Plan, we will document it in web and we will announce it in announcement forums.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #26909 is a reply to message #26908] Tue, 08 June 2010 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerson is currently offline  jerson
Experienced Member

Hey Koldo and others

Mentoring is one wonderful thought proposed here.

This is one tutorial I found invaluable while learning upp. I thought I could mention it here for others who want to be 'carried along' http://www.codeproject.com/KB/library/IntroUpp.aspx

Small things that tripped me up may also help. Maybe I was too blind to see it initially. The web is full of links to UPP605; unfortunately, that is something you can't change. Once on the site though, I did not find it easy to find my way through. The links to the SVN repository you gave were helpful though not very obvious since I was only searching for WIN32 binaries at the time. Especially the source browser was a big help to see how the code will look eventually.

The STermPro is one superbly executed project IMO. I know the assist function of the IDE has a lot to offer; however, I tend to agree here
Mindtraveller said

IMO we (a U++ community) should first of all prepare nice and well structured U++ "newbie" tutorial. This tutorial should be a part of TheIDE docs as well as U++ site.

A step-by-step kind of tutorial is definitely desirable for us newbies. As of now, I am still 'learning the ropes'

Thanks for your patience
Jerson
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #26925 is a reply to message #26908] Wed, 09 June 2010 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Koldo,

I offer my help as a tutor. I can share my limited knowledge on:
  • Basics of C++ (for those coming from C or other languages)
  • Basic ideas behind U++
  • U++ GUI basics
  • U++ containers
  • Debian packaging (possibly also some other Linux distributions)
  • Parallelization (Thread and/or openmp)
My specialty: "Programming for non-programmers" Very Happy

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #27160 is a reply to message #26925] Tue, 29 June 2010 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Tutoring pages begin here:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$tutoring$en-us.html

Start date will be July 12.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #27162 is a reply to message #27160] Tue, 29 June 2010 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

koldo wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 09:09

Hello all

Koldo,

You made a mistake by this link:
Quote:

Begin date will be 2010/06/12

may be:
Quote:

Begin date will be 2010/07/12

?

Best Regards, Ion Lupascu (tojocky)
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #27163 is a reply to message #26908] Tue, 29 June 2010 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

koldo wrote on Tue, 08 June 2010 11:17

Hello all

If you think you could give support during a couple of weeks to somebody that wants to enter in U++ world you can enter as a tutor.

A tutor can reduce the fear of somebody to enter in U++ Community, inviting her/him to use the documentation and Forum properly, pushing her/him to interact with the Community and giving her/him shield in case (very rare) of any possibility of flame over her/him.

Advantages of this are to be useful and respected by the Community and to be trained to be a Mentor if next year we get into Google Summer of Code.

- If your name will be published or you prefer to be anonymous (but to the tutored person Smile )

-- In U++
-- In C/C++

-- Database

With all the tutors we will agree details of the Tutoring Plan, we will document it in web and we will announce it in announcement forums.

Hello Koldo,

I can support in:
- Basic C/C++
- Oracle database using from U++
- SQLITE using from U++
- Image processing in U++
- Basic Control usage (Scatter, Splitter, QTF, ...)

|Best Regards, Ion Lupascu(tojocky)
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #27164 is a reply to message #27160] Tue, 29 June 2010 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 02:09

Hello all

Just one note. I will be available since 18.07 (after my vacation)
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #27320 is a reply to message #27162] Mon, 12 July 2010 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
tojocky wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 08:54

koldo wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 09:09

Hello all

Koldo,

You made a mistake by this link:
Quote:

Begin date will be 2010/06/12

may be:
Quote:

Begin date will be 2010/07/12

?

Best Regards, Ion Lupascu (tojocky)

Thank you Ion

Sorry for the delay Rolling Eyes.
Fixed.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Tutoring Plan. Call for tutors [message #27321 is a reply to message #27163] Mon, 12 July 2010 11:42 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
tojocky wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 09:02

koldo wrote on Tue, 08 June 2010 11:17

Hello all

-- In U++
-- In C/C++

-- Database

Hello Koldo,

I can support in:
- Basic C/C++
- Oracle database using from U++
- SQLITE using from U++
- Image processing in U++
- Basic Control usage (Scatter, Splitter, QTF, ...)

|Best Regards, Ion Lupascu(tojocky)

Hello Ion

Thank you very much!

I will PM you for details.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: voice library
Next Topic: Bada OS on Samsung smartphone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:56:03 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01201 seconds