FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Install script for Ubuntu
Install script for Ubuntu [message #26591] Thu, 13 May 2010 18:43 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,
Based on the troubleshooting of Neils problems with installing PPA on his system, I wrote a script that takes care about it.

What it does: Puts our PPA to sources.list, installs theide and upp and if there are no assemblies, it launches theide to go through the setup (after explaining it to user).

If there is some problem, user is either prompted what to do, or the script is terminated with explanation. I tried to make it as user friendly as a shell script can be...

Executing is as simple as "bash add-upp-repo.sh", password is prompted if necessary.

I'm looking forward to your comments!

Honza
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #26685 is a reply to message #26591] Wed, 19 May 2010 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
That should save many hours of frustration for those new to Ubuntu.

Worked great for me, thanks.

Neil
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #26697 is a reply to message #26591] Wed, 19 May 2010 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 13 May 2010 12:43

I'm looking forward to your comments!

Honza

Thank a lot for the script!
I always have problems recalling how to build UPP from source code.

Could you please make this script a part of source code distribution and also put it on the web-site in a place, where it can be easily found, because it will be lost among forum messages?

TIA

Regards,
Novo
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #26698 is a reply to message #26697] Wed, 19 May 2010 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Novo wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 19:32

Could you please make this script a part of source code distribution and also put it on the web-site in a place, where it can be easily found, because it will be lost among forum messages?

Hi Novo,

It is Ubuntu specific, so it should not be in the source package. But I plan to put it on the download page. Probably also with script to build package for Debian...

Honza
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #31554 is a reply to message #26591] Mon, 14 March 2011 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Honza

Tried to install upp on Ubuntu 10.10 using the script that worked with 10.04 "add-upp-repo.sh"

cd Downdoads
sudo bash add-upp-repo.sh

All attempts ended with:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Trying to install through Synaptics:
upp:
Depends: g++ but it is not going to be installed or
g++ but it is not going to be installed

Neil

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2011 03:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #31558 is a reply to message #31554] Mon, 14 March 2011 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Neil
nlneilson wrote on Mon, 14 March 2011 03:22

All attempts ended with:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
This means just that you either had some other instance of apt/apt-get/aptitude/synaptics/... running at the same time (only one is allowed, to protect database integrity).

nlneilson wrote on Mon, 14 March 2011 03:22

Trying to install through Synaptics:
upp:
Depends: g++ but it is not going to be installed or
g++ but it is not going to be installed

Well, this is strange. The g++ is really a dependency, but there should be no problem installing it and Synaptics should be clever enough to install it. At least it worked for me last time I installed upp on Lucid...

Anyway, you can try to run the script once more, this time making sure it is the only program trying to acces the package database. If it fails in some other way this time, please send me the full output of the script. Or you can try to set things up manually, it is actually just three commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dolik-rce/upp-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upp

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #31562 is a reply to message #31558] Mon, 14 March 2011 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Honza

After several more tries I still could not get it to work.
The problem is with my setup somehow.
I could not even get g++ to install with Synaptics.

Installed Ubuntu 10.10 on another Notebook and tried this:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upp

Worked the first time!

I will try correcting my Ubuntu 10.10 install on my main computer, otherwise do some backup and and reinstall.

edit: Re-installed Ubuntu 10.10 OS.
Upp installed OK.

Thanks for the help.

Neil

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2011 17:34]

Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #31960 is a reply to message #31562] Tue, 12 April 2011 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
I don't recall having this problem before.
Upp has been running OK after install with:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upp

I tried to update with:
sudo apt-get update
this is just the upp portion
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp-nightly/ubuntu/ maverick/main Translation-en
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp-nightly/ubuntu/ maverick/main Translation-en_US

sudo apt-get install upp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 46 not upgraded.
Need to get 34.2MB of archives.
After this operation, 4,313kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp-nightly/ubuntu/ maverick/main upp all 3332-1~maverick0 [34.2MB]
Fetched 34.2MB in 1min 39s (344kB/s)                                           
(Reading database ... 170376 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace upp 3280-1~maverick0 (using .../upp_3332-1~maverick0_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement upp ...
Setting up upp (3332-1~maverick0) ...

When TheIde is run it still shows 3280 and not 3332.
Probably some basic error on my part.

With the update manager it then showed upp would be updated, which I did also which required a reboot and then I get 3332.

Perhaps when using "update ~ install" from the command line a reboot is necessary also.
Or maybe after the first install any updates should be done through Synaptic.

Either way it's a great setup to get Upp into Ubuntu.

Neil

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2011 03:30]

Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #31962 is a reply to message #31960] Tue, 12 April 2011 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Neil
nlneilson wrote on Tue, 12 April 2011 02:25

I don't recall having this problem before.
Upp has been running OK after install with:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upp

I tried to update with:
sudo apt-get update
this is just the upp portion
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp-nightly/ubuntu/ maverick/main Translation-en
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp-nightly/ubuntu/ maverick/main Translation-en_US

sudo apt-get install upp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 46 not upgraded.
Need to get 34.2MB of archives.
After this operation, 4,313kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp-nightly/ubuntu/ maverick/main upp all 3332-1~maverick0 [34.2MB]
Fetched 34.2MB in 1min 39s (344kB/s)                                           
(Reading database ... 170376 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace upp 3280-1~maverick0 (using .../upp_3332-1~maverick0_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement upp ...
Setting up upp (3332-1~maverick0) ...

When TheIde is run it still shows 3280 and not 3332.
Probably some basic error on my part.

What happened is that only the U++ sources (package upp) got updated. Theide "version" is the version of sources used for its compilation, so since you had not updated it was showing lower version number - so far everything is correct.
Now the mystery is why theide didn't update as well... Are you sure you didn't mark theide to hold the version 3280 in synaptic/aptitude/apt-get/...?

nlneilson wrote on Tue, 12 April 2011 02:25

With the update manager it then showed upp would be updated, which I did also which required a reboot and then I get 3332.

Perhaps when using "update ~ install" from the command line a reboot is necessary also.
Or maybe after the first install any updates should be done through Synaptic.

Uh, reboot? Shocked And it really helped? Ubuntu is closer to windows than I thought Very Happy Ok, now seriously: none of the packages should require reboot to work/update. To get the new version of theide just open a new instance after updating and it will start the new version. With the new updating mechanism (theide 3307 and newer), theide gets aware (if set up to do so) of the new sources while running. The older versions needed to manualy copy the sources from /usr/share/upp to your local nests in /home/<user>/upp (in the default setup).

Does this clarify it?

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #31966 is a reply to message #31962] Tue, 12 April 2011 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Honza

dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 12 April 2011 08:18

Does this clarify it?

Best regards,
Honza

I think it does. Whatever else was updated may have required the update.

I didn't mark anything in theIde to keep a version number.

I am just leaving for a few days (no internet) and it's good to have the help that comes with Upp now.

Thanks
Neil
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #35033 is a reply to message #31966] Sat, 31 December 2011 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Hi Honza,

I want to be able to build my software in Ubuntu 11.10 using UPP4193.

I added your repositories and installed using apt-get install theide but my includes and libs sections in my build methods are empty.

Also, the package manager doesn't know where any of the examples are etc.

Is there a guide to what to add please. I went back and looked at my other Linux VMs but none of them can build either anymore so I thought it best to start from scratch.

I tried apt-get remove and then install again but that doesn't work.

Any help or pointers would be great.

Nick

EDIT: I uninstalled, deleted .upp and reinstalled with the first option which is local sources. Now I have no valid build method. The installation dialog seems to think it is setting up everything for an idiot(me) to be able to start coding....

[Updated on: Sat, 31 December 2011 05:20]

Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #35034 is a reply to message #35033] Sat, 31 December 2011 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Nick,

nixnixnix wrote on Sat, 31 December 2011 01:07

I added your repositories and installed using apt-get install theide but my includes and libs sections in my build methods are empty.

I think this is the problem Smile You installed only theide, not U++ sources. The installation command should be
apt-get install upp
The package theide will be installed automatically as dependency of upp. Then everything should work as expected. (If you wonder why this is possible: it is for people working with svn sources exclusively.)

I think I should some checks to the setup wizard in theide, to prevent confusion like this. It should not allow the simple setups when U++ sources are not installed, or at least give user a warning that something looks wrong. Thanks for making me aware of this issue Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #37042 is a reply to message #35034] Fri, 10 August 2012 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Just installed theide by mistake and now have to delete virtual machine and start again. I am stupid I know but it would be good to have it in big letters somewhere that it should be

apt-get install upp

I guess putting a post-it on my monitor would do the job Smile
Re: Install script for Ubuntu [message #37046 is a reply to message #37042] Sat, 11 August 2012 10:21 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

nixnixnix wrote on Fri, 10 August 2012 23:46

Just installed theide by mistake and now have to delete virtual machine and start again. I am stupid I know but it would be good to have it in big letters somewhere that it should be

apt-get install upp

I guess putting a post-it on my monitor would do the job Smile

No need to delete virtual machine or starting from start Smile

If you accidentally did "apt-get install theide", running "apt-get install upp" will just add U++ sources to the already installed theide. If you already run theide and the settings wizard, you can just run it again (Setup->Source management..).

Alternatively, you can "apt-get remove theide" and then "apt-get install upp", the difference from above is just semantics.

Best regards,
Honza
Previous Topic: Linking standard libraries
Next Topic: Win64 debugging
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:55:04 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01418 seconds