Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Compilers: Microsoft vs GCC (or MinGW)
Compilers: Microsoft vs GCC (or MinGW) [message #27023] Mon, 21 June 2010 19:10 Go to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
Folks:

I would like know the pros and cons of the different compilers. Have you any preference?

I think that the Microsoft compiler is available gratis; is it correct?
Re: Compilers: Microsoft vs GCC (or MinGW) [message #27026 is a reply to message #27023] Mon, 21 June 2010 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello 281264

Yes, Microsoft compiler is gratis, more complete and better supported in U++ than MinGW.

However I would like that U++ will be always MinGW compatible, because perhaps some day Microsoft could decide to have a closer license.

I do not like my job to depend on one company. I have much more confidence in an Open Software project, and yet more in Gcc.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Compilers: Microsoft vs GCC (or MinGW) [message #27027 is a reply to message #27023] Mon, 21 June 2010 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Hello,
GCC is more strict and follow C++ standards better than MS compiler does. I use both but prefer GCC.

Andrei
Re: Compilers: Microsoft vs GCC (or MinGW) [message #27029 is a reply to message #27027] Mon, 21 June 2010 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
An advantage of using two compilers is that sometimes one of them detect a problem do not detected by the other one.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Compilers: Microsoft vs GCC (or MinGW) [message #27031 is a reply to message #27023] Tue, 22 June 2010 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

The performance of the latest releases of Gcc, seems to be the most prefered compiler. Gcc is everywhere: Linux, Windows, MACOS, ... .
Re: Compilers: Microsoft vs GCC (or MinGW) [message #27034 is a reply to message #27023] Tue, 22 June 2010 11:18 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I prefer GCC (MINGW) because I tend to work both in linux and windows. But I'm also using MSCC8 just to make sure my code does not have some hidden ill side-effects, which don't show up in gcc.

Also debugging in U++ is a bit more stable with MSCC, another good read reason to have installed both of them, if you have windows machine.
Previous Topic: Basic question regarding callbacks
Next Topic: How to create and add several icons to an application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:40:34 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01070 seconds