Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » Dockable toolbars
Dockable toolbars [message #27469] Mon, 19 July 2010 14:07 Go to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Is it possible / foreseen in a (short) future ? Smile

Ciao

Max
Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27558 is a reply to message #27469] Fri, 23 July 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 08:07

Ciao

Max

Strangely, for me the pressure is relatively low. In kind of apps I am developing, nobody requests them...

Mirek
Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27579 is a reply to message #27558] Fri, 23 July 2010 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 23 July 2010 11:22

mdelfede wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 08:07

Ciao

Max

Strangely, for me the pressure is relatively low. In kind of apps I am developing, nobody requests them...

Mirek

It's for a cad application I've in mind, when I have the current one finished.
On CAD apps you've got tons of toolbars, and usually user customizes it's contents and placements with most used ones.

BTW, about the cad app.... I've got some starting code which is promising. I'd like to start an opensource CAD project, OpenCasCade based, if somebody is interested on jumping in Smile
Not right now, but in a manageable future...

Ciao

Max
Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27580 is a reply to message #27579] Fri, 23 July 2010 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Massimo

BTW, about the cad app.... I've got some starting code which is promising. I'd like to start an opensource CAD project, OpenCasCade based, if somebody is interested on jumping in Smile
Not right now, but in a manageable future...

If I can help in any way I am here.

In the past I did some manufacturing animation software using Catia OLE automation, and many times I am in touch with CAD in general.

Best regards
IƱaki

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2010 22:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27581 is a reply to message #27580] Fri, 23 July 2010 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
koldo wrote on Fri, 23 July 2010 22:42

If I can help in any way I am here.

In the past I did some manufacturing animation software using Catia OLE automation, and many times I am in touch with CAD in general.

Hi Koldo Smile
I work daily with cad, but never coded one.... besides some GIS apps in past.
I found some really good hints with OpenCascade, and it seems to me quite feasible without having to use many years of coding.
But I think the job would be indeed hopeless done by me alone, but if we're 3-4 people we could do something really good.

I've got 1-2 monthes of full work now, but then I'll come back to this Smile

Ciao

Max
Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27638 is a reply to message #27581] Tue, 27 July 2010 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I might be up for it, an interesting project is always good. I've never even used a CAD program but I know GL very well and have a strong interest in GUI design.

Maybe I could look at those dockable toolbars, I've attempted it at least once before after all Smile
Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27655 is a reply to message #27638] Wed, 28 July 2010 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mrjt wrote on Tue, 27 July 2010 12:06

I might be up for it, an interesting project is always good. I've never even used a CAD program but I know GL very well and have a strong interest in GUI design.

Maybe I could look at those dockable toolbars, I've attempted it at least once before after all Smile

Hi mrjt Smile
The thing can be interesting.... I was thinking starting with a good 2d drafting part, it's the most needed one.
This would be opencascade based, so that the extension to 3d world should be trivial.
What I want to do first is a "small" base to well define the interface, I'd like to have it most autocad-like as possible, as many people is used to it.
There are some opencascade-based projects out there, but all of them lacks a comfortable 2d drafting part, which is the base for a good cad application. Most of them start directly from 3d, and some has some small 2d extensions, but mostly unusable.

So, to draw some baseline....

1) The cad should have a command line. Often is quite faster to give short commands with it, and it's absolutely necessary to enter points coordinates in quick way.

2) Customizable toolbars, driven by a (xml, maybe) CUI file.
The toolbars buttons should send strings to the command line control (a lineedit derived, I guess), so you could mix menu and command-line driven commands. This would also ease a central handling of menus and toolbars.

3) TabBarCtrl basedi interface for multiple documents and multiple view of a single document. This one is easy, I've got already some working code there based on opencascade viewer.

4) I'd like (later on) to embed a scripting language, I was thinking about squirrel-lang which is c-like and quite well coded.

5) a *VERY* well defined api and an even better commented code.
The only thing I really miss on UPP is the poorly commented source code....

BTW, OpenCascade has already all the stuff needed to implement e doc/view engine, which interfaces directly with our GLCtrl very easy.

Ciao

Max
Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27657 is a reply to message #27655] Wed, 28 July 2010 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Sounds very good. I like the idea of XML (or whatever) based toolbars that sent text commands, it's nice clean expansible design.

I disagree on 5 personally, I find it very difficult to read heavily commented code. I want to be reading the code, not what the comments claim it does. And when written properly Upp code needs very few comments, just some hints here and there where something strange is going on.

What would be a real benefit IMO is something like <summary> in VS that lives in the code but can be hidden by TheIde. This would help when you just don't know what a function is supposed to be for.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 July 2010 10:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dockable toolbars [message #27660 is a reply to message #27657] Wed, 28 July 2010 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mrjt wrote on Wed, 28 July 2010 10:03

I disagree on 5 personally, I find it very difficult to read heavily commented code. I want to be reading the code, not what the comments claim it does. And when written properly Upp code needs very few comments, just some hints here and there where something strange is going on.

What would be a real benefit IMO is something like <summary> in VS that lives in the code but can be hidden by TheIde. This would help when you just don't know what a function is supposed to be for.

Well.... I had *many* difficulties to figure out what does what in ctrlcore code when coding the DHCtrl for Linux.... I spent 99% time to figure out what was happening and 1% for coding the control. And, I'm still not sure that all what I did was ok Smile

BTW, I agree with you, too heavily commented code can be cumbersome to read. What would be quite nice is the ability to comment code with some sort of "detail level", and insert in theide the ability to select on which level to stop displaying comments.
For example :

//1 Outermost level comment

//2 more detailed comment

//3 even more detailed one

//9 dumbly detailed comment

In theide, a menu to select the level.

Ciao

Max

Re: Dockable toolbars [message #28576 is a reply to message #27657] Tue, 07 September 2010 18:08 Go to previous message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
Dockable toolbars is a great idea; I asked for it several times (in spite of my short existente in U++). It gives an application a professional feature and look. This is particularly true for CAD applications.

Remark: Just in case this is of your interest, I am currently developing an engineering calculation application, which contains a CAD sub-application, by using OpenGL. Actually it is a general purpose Finite Element Analysis tool.

The idea is to prepare a commercial application (although my experience is limited I am a hardworker).

Anybody interested, please contact the undersigned.

Javier
Previous Topic: Application Wizard based?
Next Topic: why no 'Ctrl* Ctrl::Clone() const = 0' (virtual constructor)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:50:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01000 seconds