Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » Themes
icon8.gif  Themes [message #28098] Mon, 16 August 2010 07:30 Go to next message
Rishi is currently offline  Rishi
Is there any themes for ultimate++? This IDE looks loke waaay back to windows 95. What about creating new win-7/win-vis style icons? How to get 'theme' bazzar package to work?

~~~~Rishi~~~~
Re: Themes [message #28111 is a reply to message #28098] Tue, 17 August 2010 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Rishi wrote on Mon, 16 August 2010 08:30

Is there any themes for ultimate++? This IDE looks loke waaay back to windows 95. What about creating new win-7/win-vis style icons? How to get 'theme' bazzar package to work?

~~~~Rishi~~~~

TheIDE and all U++ applications use the native theme of your Windows version. U++ should look like Vista/7. Can you name an application that looks better as comparison? If you are talking about the huge title bars with buttons on them like in Internet Explorer and Explorer in Vista, we do not have that yet I think.

As for theme package, you need to use it and instantiate a Theme class from the Theme package with a path to one of the themes in Themes folder.
Re: Themes [message #28250 is a reply to message #28111] Wed, 25 August 2010 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for example, code::blocks. Are there any 'proposal' part of this website? The icons of upp looks some old fashion. I have some ideas for upp development. I can not help upp because I am a c++ learner and I am only 14 years old. maybe i can make a updater using libcurl.

Currently u++ supports c++. may be someone help you to put together other programming languages... If you like development of u++ like the eclipse ide, I can help you in developing BASIC ide, php ide and a server stack, asp.net server or something

Ultimate++ have an excellent code.
I am a copyleft hater. I don't use any gpl'd software. I found this software a relief. Maybe you can place clang-a bsd licensed c++ compiler and pcc?

Many c++ BEGINNERS do not use ultimate++ because this doesn't have a 'built-in' compiler installer.

~~~RISHIKESHAN~~~
Re: Themes [message #28251 is a reply to message #28250] Wed, 25 August 2010 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
the advantage of U++ is not the fancy look but the ability to keep overview...fancy look is not always the best option. --> simplicity is a virtue of it's own..
Re: Themes [message #28252 is a reply to message #28251] Wed, 25 August 2010 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

kohait00 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 04:06

the advantage of U++ is not the fancy look but the ability to keep overview...fancy look is not always the best option. --> simplicity is a virtue of it's own..

I pretty sure it's possible to combine fancy look, simplicity and usability Smile I agree that theide (especially icons) look could be better (system themes don't look too good for me). What we need it's a good custom theme which is platform independent. In one of my app I use sculpture theme. It looks really good (the only thing I don't like too much are scrollbars). I think we could make things easier for graphic designers if we provided some kind of theme creator application.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 August 2010 10:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Themes [message #28253 is a reply to message #28251] Wed, 25 August 2010 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well I installed Code::Blocks and the theme is pretty much standard with a couple of extra bits at the tab controls. Still, the layout looks a little less text-monster like the compared to TheIDE. So the themes is the same as in U++, i.e. Windows theme.

But a theme is different from an iconset, and Code::Blocks has better and more modern looking icons. We could improve that, but the question is how. Code can be improved simply. Art not that much. There was a thread about new icons but I don't think it ever got anywhere.
Re: Themes [message #28254 is a reply to message #28252] Wed, 25 August 2010 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 11:24

In one of my app I use sculpture theme. It looks really good (the only thing I don't like too much are scrollbars). I think we could make things easier for graphic designers if we provided some kind of theme creator application.

You still using it? Good Smile. Are you using the new Zip based one or the old Chameleon code based one? I did not get any feedback on the new one except for Mirek saying that he doesn't like external files. I have been using it for months now as my default theme in TheIDE and in some apps. I like it but the gray can become depressing after a while. Been thinking of another color scheme for it, something more lively yet easy on the eyes.

And yes, there where some problems with scrollbars, because of the way hotspots work and the way they filter the content in between. If you play a little with the scrollbar width, I think you can reduce the blurriness. I don't think I have the perfect scrollbar width out of the box.
Re: Themes [message #28257 is a reply to message #28254] Wed, 25 August 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

You still using it? Good . Are you using the new Zip based one or the old Chameleon code based one? I did not get any feedback on the new one except for Mirek saying that he doesn't like external files. I have been using it for months now as my default theme in TheIDE and in some apps. I like it but the gray can become depressing after a while. Been thinking of another color scheme for it, something more lively yet easy on the eyes.

I'm using the old one. I like internal image editor and similar to Mirek I prefer no external files. As for depresing. Recently I modified your theme. I added orange border for default buttons. But even without that my application (http://digitalsoftware.pl/pic.php?img=img/traveller1.png) doesn't seem to be depressing. The old version of your theme doesn't support button theming inside drop list control (in my case dropgrid) and on attached screenshot vista style is used there (and this is what I prefer, simple images on white background). Those white colors here and there brighten up the dark theme. And there are many colors on the main grid. Generally I like this mix Smile
Quote:

And yes, there where some problems with scrollbars, because of the way hotspots work and the way they filter the content in between. If you play a little with the scrollbar width, I think you can reduce the blurriness. I don't think I have the perfect scrollbar width out of the box.

Yes, I tried that. Reducing width of scrollbar helped (IMO they're too big by default)

Anyway, I tried to create my own theme many times, but I always failed Smile That's why I thought about theme creator app where the output would be an upp package. In this app one could observe in realtime any change made to images or theme settings on any upp control.
Re: Themes [message #28261 is a reply to message #28257] Wed, 25 August 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Oh God, that theme is woefully outdated and plain ugly Laughing . Was this the way I first put it out in the public? Shame on me Smile Rolling Eyes . Please give the new one a try and let me know what you think. It now has two color schemes, normal gray and dark gray (this is the one I find depresing). As for external files, you can always use .brc mechanism to get rid of them. I also checked, and the binary file increase from including the Zip support is minor, at least relative to my needs.

But I am prepared to support an alternative to Zip. But I don't want to support pure code themes any longer. The idea is that an artist who can use Paint (or Photoshop), Notepad and Zip should be able to create any theme his artistic vision allows, without having to know what a compiler is.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 August 2010 11:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Themes [message #28267 is a reply to message #28261] Wed, 25 August 2010 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
BTW: there is no example how to use Theme / Themes, or i still didnt find one..
can anyone of u guys point me somewhere to look at?
Re: Themes [message #28269 is a reply to message #28267] Wed, 25 August 2010 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well no, since I thought that it is fairly self explanatory and I didn't get to the part where I would write official documentation for it. But there is info in the original thread.

So here it goes.

You need to add the bazaar/Theme package. From here you will need the Theme class. Your instance should survive the run-time of your application (but I think it will work even if you discard it after use, never tried it before), so a good place would be in your main method before you setup you main windows.

You need to call:
Theme& theme::Load(const String& fileName);

with the path to your theme.

All themes come in the bazaar/Themes folder. This is not a package, it is just a folder. No need to add it to your project. In the Themes folder you will find the themes in as a Zip archive or as separate unpacked folders. You pass the Load method a path. If that path is a folder and it finds a theme.ini file inside, it will try to loadd it. If it is a file, a Zip file, it will unpack it in you temp folder and load the theme.

Then you need to call:
Theme& Theme::Apply();

And that's about it. You can disable the themeing of widgets with the UseXXX methods, and you can check if a widget is available with HasXXX methods.

Also, you can use the same Theme instance to load multiple themes in a row. This works best if the themes don't override the same elements.

If I wanted to apply Skulpture theme to UWord, and then replace the toolbars and menubars with the BlueBar theme, I would modify UWord.cpp like this:

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	Theme m;
	m.Load("c:\\upp\\bazaar\\Themes\\Skulpture.zip").Apply();
	m.Load("c:\\upp\\bazaar\\Themes\\BlueBar").Apply();

SetLanguage(LNG_ENGLISH);
	SetDefaultCharset(CHARSET_UTF8);
Re: Themes [message #28272 is a reply to message #28269] Wed, 25 August 2010 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
thats almost a complete docu, thanks, i'll give it a try
icon8.gif  Re: Themes [message #28273 is a reply to message #28269] Wed, 25 August 2010 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You just answered the 'theme' section in my thread. please answer the following such as coding with other programming languages. Do anyone like to combine 'SciTe' editor with upp? It supports many programming languages` syntax highlighting, though it is not an IDE. It is bsd-ish.

I think Development of a PHP ide and Asp.net ide are easier than of development of c++ ides.

I have some ideas for upp development. I can not help upp because I am a c++ learner and I am only 14 years old. maybe i can make a updater using libcurl.

Currently u++ supports c++. may be someone help you to put together other programming languages... If you like development of u++ like the eclipse ide, I can help you in developing BASIC ide, php ide and a server stack, asp.net server or something

Ultimate++ have an excellent code.
I am a copyleft hater. I don't use any gpl'd software. I found this software a relief. Maybe you can place clang-a bsd licensed c++ compiler and pcc?

Many c++ BEGINNERS do not use ultimate++ because this doesn't have a 'built-in' compiler installer. Please join Clang: this is both helpful to the llvm group and ultimate++ developers...
Re: Themes [message #28833 is a reply to message #28273] Sun, 19 September 2010 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, but you can change the icon, and the toolbar icons. Smile
icon10.gif  Re: Themes [message #28899 is a reply to message #28833] Fri, 24 September 2010 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use tango (It is Public Domain). Please note that we don't want to recompile IDE with Bazaar--Compiled binaries are better. Make a new theme, add Tango, Experience the best UI and Toolbars ::):):):):):
Re: Themes [message #29206 is a reply to message #28899] Sun, 10 October 2010 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is anyone interested??? tango.freedesktop.org
Re: Themes [message #29219 is a reply to message #29206] Mon, 11 October 2010 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
could you add some screenshots
Re: Themes [message #29223 is a reply to message #29219] Mon, 11 October 2010 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi,

I think everyone will be interested at some time or another with having the maximum themes available.
Re: Themes [message #29260 is a reply to message #29219] Wed, 13 October 2010 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have screenshots. I am talking about icons About IDE.
Re: Themes [message #29261 is a reply to message #29260] Wed, 13 October 2010 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Contributor
i've recently taken a look in the thing, and it seems really nice, to have uniform bautyful look Smile have to admit that the upp icons tend to look 'old' washed.
Previous Topic: Scatter : getDrawing !!!! help !!!!
Next Topic: Cypher package - An extensible Encryption package
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:03:50 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01636 seconds