Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Compiling and linking problems
Compiling and linking problems [message #28489] Fri, 03 September 2010 09:40 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mirek

In Package organizer it is possible to set libraries and add compiler and linker options.

There is a problem: if you change the libraries but do not change a line of .cpp or .h files, linker does not work again.

It would be good that if compiling options are changed or removed, full compiling would have to be forced.

In the same way, if linker options or libraries are changed or removed, new linking would have to be done.

I think the same would have to be done when in "Build methods", INCLUDE, LIB and PATH - executable directories are changed, removed or reordered.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Compiling and linking problems [message #28490 is a reply to message #28489] Fri, 03 September 2010 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Koldo,

I believe this is not really issue. Yes, the trouble are by design of the build system, but it is too keep it fast. This situation is quite rare, I don't think it is worthed the trouble.

If a developer changes the libraries or paths etc. he should know that the code needs to be recompiled. Usually it is enough to just hit "Clean package" if you add library to package. Full recompile is only necessary if you change the build method.

Honza

PS: There is also one more thing you could worry about: If you update the lib in your system, theide won't detected and use the system wide headers from new version for new code, while linking together with older code that was compiled with the old version. This could be checked too, but it is reaaaally slow (I implemented this in the universal Makefile, so I know how long it takes to gcc to analyze all the dependencies Smile ).

[Updated on: Fri, 03 September 2010 11:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Compiling and linking problems [message #28495 is a reply to message #28490] Fri, 03 September 2010 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

Quote:

If a developer changes the libraries or paths etc. he should know that the code needs to be recompiled. Usually it is enough to just hit "Clean package" if you add library to package. Full recompile is only necessary if you change the build method.

It would be better if TheIDE would do this automatically to avoid problems. Or at least to set a "dirty" flag to know that when you click "F5", all code should have to be recompiled or linked.

I think any actuation in "Package organizer" or "Build methods" would have to force:
- a full recompiling if it affects to:
-- includes
-- compiling options

- a new linking if it affects to:
-- libraries
-- linking options

I recognize that checking if any of the libraries have been externally changed is perhaps out of TheIDE capabilities.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Compiling and linking problems [message #28513 is a reply to message #28495] Sat, 04 September 2010 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Koldo!
koldo wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 12:12

It would be better if TheIDE would do this automatically to avoid problems. Or at least to set a "dirty" flag to know that when you click "F5", all code should have to be recompiled or linked.

Well, maybe it should be there. It would definitely be user friendly Smile I am just not sure if it is worthed the amount of work needed. I was dealing with the build system code lately, so I know what a beast it is Twisted Evil

Honza
Re: Compiling and linking problems [message #29265 is a reply to message #28513] Wed, 13 October 2010 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I guess this is so specific and so implmentation difficult that I would stay with "hit the bomb after changing libraries" rule...
Re: Compiling and linking problems [message #29278 is a reply to message #29265] Wed, 13 October 2010 21:02 Go to previous message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi guys,

There is another case where the exact same problem occurs:
When you select a package( from the list of packages on left side ) and select 'SPEED' option: if you don't recompile everything then the option isn't really taken in account.

This is not user friendly since the option is directly accessible.
At first I thought the SPEED option didn't work until I recompiled everything.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 21:03]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Debugging console app?
Next Topic: My TheIDE complaints
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:18:54 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00917 seconds