Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » External resources » Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater.
Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28672] Sat, 11 September 2010 07:56 Go to next message
Rishi is currently offline  Rishi

Add support for Other programming languages and web development[ 11 votes ]
1. Like 4 / 36%
2. Neutral 6 / 55%
3. DisLike 1 / 9%

Hello,
Ultimate++ is suitable for developing other languages like php, java, tcl/tk and much more like the sucking eclipse. Is anyone interested in making upp for other languages? SciTe is also BSD licensed and it supports many programming languages, though it is not an IDE. you can integrate its code. You can also include a good thing, apache. when run button is preessed, autodetect the documentroot, run apache on documentroot, then wait for a second and open the url of php file.
This may take a lot of time, but it makes a better future like MSVS.
You can include llvm compiler(BSDish)/watcom compiler(BSDish) built in compiler.
LLVM commands are same as gcc.
LLVM is a reimplementation of gcc in BSD license.
It is good to also include ++c, perl, ruby, html, java EE, fortran, BASIC Smile
Java syntax is like c++...
.net has a complex syntax and it is hard to implement.
but if you implement it, you will overtake microsoft visual studio, really.

With good hope and great expectations,
Yours sincerely,
L.Rishikeshan

[Updated on: Sat, 11 September 2010 08:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28679 is a reply to message #28672] Sat, 11 September 2010 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

I had a dream - about one cool ide for everything Smile Unfortunately it's not possible. It would require lot of people working day and night for few years. And they should be paid to not give up. (take a look at microsoft and visual studio 2010. In spite of having many developers they had to give up on intellisense for managed c++)
What I like is ide that supports one particular framework / language at very good level. In this case authors don't have to look for common dominator for all kind of projects. They can provide solutions best for given framework. I think we should follow this way in Upp world. With limited resources we should improve what we already have instead of trying to support more kind of languages / frameworks especially that we will never reach quality of already existing tools. Of course we could make the ide more modular and let you or other people to write plugins for other languages and maybe this is the way to satisfy all upp users but now I'd prefer to use your time to improve or to fix existing parts of theide. For example I would gladly see better xml editor (I mean syntax highlighting here) or new platform independent good looking skin or better searching (like in sumblime text (http://www.sublimetext.com))
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28684 is a reply to message #28679] Sat, 11 September 2010 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Sat, 11 September 2010 13:05

(http://www.sublimetext.com))

Looks like vim to me ... Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28708 is a reply to message #28684] Mon, 13 September 2010 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
Please, take Fortran into consideration.

Thanks you,

Javier
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28716 is a reply to message #28708] Mon, 13 September 2010 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
I'm with Uno(Daniel) on this one. I constantly go from not using U++ at all (=> not having time to improve it) to using U++ for extended periods of time (=> not having time to improve it). When I'm using it I absolutely love the library itself, but TheIDE is in need of a lot of final touches. The big ones would be things like make the "go to" fail proof once and for all (when not dealing with macros) and namespace support. The small ones would be disabling double click on the tab bar or fixing the stupid temporary scroll on mouse wheel.

With so many areas where one could bring improvements, I don't think we fit other languages in the schedule. I would rather improve TheIDE from a 8/10 editor to a 9/10 then keep it as 8/10 and also make it a 3/10 something else editor. But small touches like XML editor can be added safely.
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28740 is a reply to message #28672] Tue, 14 September 2010 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, Upp can't overtake MSVS but it can definitely overtake sucking Eclipse.
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28741 is a reply to message #28740] Tue, 14 September 2010 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SciTe Supports something useful to other programming languages. I use it to edit PHP Smile
Anyone at least add LLVM.
Someone can 'port' the code of SciTe to upp...

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2010 17:13]

Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28745 is a reply to message #28741] Tue, 14 September 2010 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Rishi wrote on Tue, 14 September 2010 17:12

You can use LLVM compiler if you want to. Just set llvm-g++/clang as a compiler. Thanks to the same syntax it should work just fine.

Honza

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2010 22:44]

Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28746 is a reply to message #28745] Wed, 15 September 2010 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 14 September 2010 16:41

Rishi wrote on Tue, 14 September 2010 17:12

You can use LLVM compiler if you want to. Just set llvm-g++/clang as a compiler. Thanks to the same syntax it should work just fine.

Honza

In my case it produces executables twice bigger than with GCC. Probably linker should also be substituted. But this is not possible because it is hard-coded in C++. Actually, hard-coded names of tools make impossible to use MinGW compiler on Linux. You can replace name of a compiler, but linker and librarian cannot be replaced.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28748 is a reply to message #28746] Wed, 15 September 2010 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Novo wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 05:39

In my case it produces executables twice bigger than with GCC. Probably linker should also be substituted. But this is not possible because it is hard-coded in C++. Actually, hard-coded names of tools make impossible to use MinGW compiler on Linux. You can replace name of a compiler, but linker and librarian cannot be replaced.

The sizes can be slightly bigger for llvm, but I don't see that as a problem. For me the results for compiling theide are following:
           Debug   Optimal   Size
llvm-g++   31 MB   7.3 MB    7.1 MB
g++        49 MB   5.3 MB    5.0 MB

The linker is called through the compiler, so there is probably not much we can do about it.

Honza
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28749 is a reply to message #28748] Wed, 15 September 2010 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Size is not a big issue IMO. The question is the speed and the quality of generated code.

How are the compile times?

And is it mature yet? How far away is it from production ready?

When will they finish support for Windows exceptions. I have a terrible time remembering what is missing and how the term is called? Is it SEH?
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28757 is a reply to message #28749] Wed, 15 September 2010 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is
[edit] It has gcc-compilation syntax and arguments. It is bsd-ish. You can include it in ultimate++ because the target licenses match. It supports full c++ syntaxes

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2010 15:05]

Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28767 is a reply to message #28748] Thu, 16 September 2010 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 06:25

Novo wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 05:39

The sizes can be slightly bigger for llvm, but I don't see that as a problem. For me the results for compiling theide are following:
           Debug   Optimal   Size
llvm-g++   31 MB   7.3 MB    7.1 MB
g++        49 MB   5.3 MB    5.0 MB

Honza

In my case:
LLVM.Gui.Mt.Shared             4451280
LLVM.Force_size.Gui.Mt.Shared  4353696
GCC.Gui.Mt.Shared              2297152
GCC.Force_size.Gui.Mt.Shared   2174176

It actually looks like LLVM adds two megs of something in each case.

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2010 06:04]

Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28768 is a reply to message #28748] Thu, 16 September 2010 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 06:25

The linker is called through the compiler, so there is probably not much we can do about it.

Honza

You are correct. Sorry for producing noise.

I didn't realize that
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mingw32msvc/4.4.2/../../../../i586-mingw32 msvc/bin/ld
is a correct application path + name.

But I still cannot link with MinGW on Linux. I added "-DflagWIN32 -UflagLINUX" options, but still getting a "cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0" error.

Is there a way to tell TheIDE that I want to compile for WIN32 but LINUX?

Sorry for the offtopic.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28770 is a reply to message #28672] Thu, 16 September 2010 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerson is currently offline  jerson
Experienced Member

Quote:

Is there a way to tell TheIDE that I want to compile for WIN32 but LINUX

Relevant question. How do you folks build the app for either Linux or Win? Compile on the relevant platform or use some compile time switches? How do you do it?
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28771 is a reply to message #28770] Thu, 16 September 2010 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
jerson wrote on Thu, 16 September 2010 08:13

Quote:

Relevant question. How do you folks build the app for either Linux or Win? Compile on the relevant platform or use some compile time switches? How do you do it?

Hello Jerson

I think it is a matter of the compiler used. MinGW and MSC generates code for Windows. Gcc in Linux generates code for Linux.

If you would get a compiler that could generate code for Linux or Windows just changing a flag, TheIDE would handle it well.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28772 is a reply to message #28771] Thu, 16 September 2010 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
koldo wrote on Thu, 16 September 2010 02:19

jerson wrote on Thu, 16 September 2010 08:13

Quote:

Hello Jerson

I think it is a matter of the compiler used. MinGW and MSC generates code for Windows. Gcc in Linux generates code for Linux.

If you would get a compiler that could generate code for Linux or Windows just changing a flag, TheIDE would handle it well.

Could you post an example, please? I couldn't make it produce binary for Windows on Linux (without installing TheIDE under Wine).

Regards,
Novo
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28778 is a reply to message #28772] Thu, 16 September 2010 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Novo wrote on Thu, 16 September 2010 08:42

koldo wrote on Thu, 16 September 2010 02:19

Could you post an example, please? I couldn't make it produce binary for Windows on Linux (without installing TheIDE under Wine).

One of the easiest and most common choices is wine+MSVC on Linux. There is a thread somewhere about how to set it up. This is for example how nightly builds for win32 are compiled Wink

Honza
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #28781 is a reply to message #28778] Thu, 16 September 2010 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 16 September 2010 11:28

One of the easiest and most common choices is wine+MSVC on Linux. There is a thread somewhere about how to set it up. This is for example how nightly builds for win32 are compiled Wink

Honza

Yep, I use wine+upp+msc8 to compile my app for windows, and it works perfectly.
There are some very minor graphic glitches, but just to develop is no problem at all.
To test the app in depth, I'd suggest a window machine or an emulator like vmware or virtualbox.
You'd need it anyways as lately there are more incompatibilities between windows versions than linux ones Smile

Ciao

Max
Re: Other programming languages, built in compiler and an updater. [message #40447 is a reply to message #28672] Fri, 02 August 2013 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
I think the only additional languages TheIde has to support is HTML and Javascript.

So it can evolve the web side of the framework (for Skylark).
Previous Topic: New database engine RocksDB developed by Facebook - BSD License
Next Topic: qt-creator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:26:21 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00947 seconds