FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » lazarus and ultimate++ code
lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29035] Sun, 03 October 2010 05:24 Go to next message
mtdew3q is currently offline  mtdew3q
Experienced Member

Hi-

Ultimate ++ is really cool. However, the fancy sql framework and data aware controls are for windows only. I don't see any oledb for linux unless I missed something.

I am wondering if I create an Ultimate ++ program to do what it excels at (many things) and create a separate Lazarus program using Zeos controls. Can I distribute both of them if I don't try to make calls to Ultimate ++ from Lazarus? Is it considered the same program for license purpose if I don't communicate or make calls back and forth and don't mix the code ? Couldn't I just package the executables for distribution as separate downloads?

For example, at our office at our clinic there is a scheduling, reporting, data entry, and billing application written in C++. Do people write similar applications and have separate modules in different programming languages as part of a complete system that supports a mental health clinic for example?

Could I launch an Ultimate ++ executable from a Lazarus program without getting into trouble with licensing?

Thanks for any input. I'd like to develop in both Lazarus and Ultimate++. I don't have a lot of cash to buy Delphi Prism and use managed code mixed with unmanaged code (solving any license problems). I plan on using linux only soon too. I actually planned that for a lot of years but XP has lasted forever on my old pc.---
3rdshiftcoder
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29036 is a reply to message #29035] Sun, 03 October 2010 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

a quick note Lazarus and Zeos use LGPL and Ultimate++ ...you already know
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29037 is a reply to message #29035] Sun, 03 October 2010 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

another quick note - i am being firebird centric ---sorry.
if i wrote a system with postgres and u++ i could use fancy sql framework and controls
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29038 is a reply to message #29035] Sun, 03 October 2010 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Hi-

I have decided I am going postgresql book shopping. I'd like to use Sql and SqlCtrl and now I will be able to.

People will view it as a negative if I try to mix and match Lazarus in a big project with Ultimate ++ by creating separate executables for each.

I am excited to head in this new direction. This is such a cool framework.

thanks,
3rdshiftcoder
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29045 is a reply to message #29035] Sun, 03 October 2010 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mtdew3q wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 23:24

Hi-

Ultimate ++ is really cool. However, the fancy sql framework and data aware controls are for windows only. I don't see any oledb for linux unless I missed something.

Nonsense. OleDb is for windows, true, but you do not need OleDb to work with SQL in U++.

MySQL, Sqlite, PostgreSQL are all well supported in Linux. In fact, even MS-SQL can be used from Linux. Oracle should work too, but AFAIK was never tested in linux.

W.r.t. firebird, all that is required is somebody to contribute "plugin/firebird".
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29048 is a reply to message #29035] Sun, 03 October 2010 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I think that with separate download and making both SW operate without each other (but cooperating when detected each other installed), you satisfy the [L]GPL.

Also if there are linux libs for firebird, you can consider writing your own driver for upp (I don't know what combination are supported in upp, so I just accept your word firebird in linux is not supported).

But going Postgres way sounds to me as a quite healthy decision. I think PG is already quite solid and production ready database, and now with Oracle behind mySql I think PG will gain lot of momentum and importance.
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29052 is a reply to message #29035] Sun, 03 October 2010 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Thanks for writing.

IBPP for Firebird works really well for linux too. I tried some of the code out and a little sample code is on my website.

As mirek and mr_ped both indicated I will use one of the ultimate++ linux solutions. I didn't do a very clear job explaining and sorry mirek had to correct it.

For the first time very soon, I (3rdshiftcoder) will be able to offer to code a small project for someone that is a "real world" application. Maybe not a mission critical application, but a useful program for sure. Mirek and mr_ped can code the mission critical stuff.

I am already studying postgresql.

Time to go to my day job and work a little more this weekend.

Thanks,
3rdshiftcoder
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29054 is a reply to message #29045] Sun, 03 October 2010 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Sun, 03 October 2010 11:29

W.r.t. firebird, all that is required is somebody to contribute "plugin/firebird".

I volunteer to do that. I'll just need to port my old code to U++.

Regards,
Novo
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29098 is a reply to message #29035] Tue, 05 October 2010 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Hi Novo-

I needed some time to think about all of this. I get overrun with all the stuff I have going on.

I really appreciate that you are going to build a Firebird plug-in with ported code and I will hold off learning postgresql and continue to use IBPP for now. I can just file the postgresql book coming from the web on my bookshelf for now.

I could use postgresql in both lazarus and ultimate++ but I'd like to check out your plug-in and take it for a test drive.

I am going to use both Lazarus and Ultimate++ in projects as mr_ped suggested is ok and keep the code separate.

It is very cool you know how to make a plug-in for a db. I'd like to look at the code in the IDE when it is finished so I can see what it looks like to port a db plug-in.

thanks very much- 3rdshiftcoder
Re: lazarus and ultimate++ code [message #29118 is a reply to message #29098] Wed, 06 October 2010 04:08 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mtdew3q wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 01:39

Hi Novo-

I needed some time to think about all of this. I get overrun with all the stuff I have going on.

I like Firebird myself. Smile Almost everything was already done eight years ago.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: thinking about making a commercial ide from Ultimate++ Ide
Next Topic: Is my RSS feed broken?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:31:49 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01575 seconds