FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Documentation » Problems with help organization
Problems with help organization [message #29599] Tue, 02 November 2010 14:07 Go to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
I've commented about the organization of the U++ help before. Now I'm doing it again.

So I'm a sort of newbie regarding using widgets in U++. I think in most toolkits you can expect to find a topic discussing each widget and what you can do with it. In U++, what information there is, is difficult to find (if you're a newbie).

I've got the hello world example open. I want to find out about the "option" control so I click the ? button for help but there's no way to find out about widgets through the help. After a while I remember there's stuff on the website but it still takes me a while to notice that in CtrlLib there's a list of widgets including option. For some widgets the information is minimal - like e.g. toolbar - there's no description. So now I just happen to know that the "examples" packages show how to use widgets - but, I can't see one for toolbars. Now if I'm lucky I know that the reference packages also contain examples - but, nothing jumps out at me about toolbars.

I expect many people give up because of the diabolical organization of the help. Some probably don't even make it to the website. I personally dislike having to go to a website to find help information.

I think U++ would benefit from having a "getting started" document that explained how to find things in the documentation and a few other basic things that newcomers need to know to learn U++, including how to use theIde (as the Russian reviewer "yesint" pointed out a while ago, it's badly needed). The article by "yesint" was actually a better "getting started" guide than anything U++ currently has.

I might start a document for this if I can ever figure out how to use the help and theIde myself, however I'm not gonna do it unless it can be made available in a prominent place that newcomers will be sure to see and I'm convinced that it's worthwhile etc. and that other people might contribute or at least answer my questions.

So is there any support for this?

Can theIde main menu have a "help" button with an item "getting started with U++" as well as being listed on the main "theIde" help page and on the website. The current "getting started" topic on the website is more about the philosophy of U++ followed by a core values tutorial etc. It should start with some more basic information.

Note I didn't actually say I was gonna do anything, I'm just thinking about it. I dislike that fact that there's no overall help contents/ index in theIde or a dedicated help file etc.

Graeme
Re: Problems with help organization [message #30254 is a reply to message #29599] Mon, 20 December 2010 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Generally I agree, but some of it is because the help system is intended to be modular. If anybody adds a nice package to bazaar and provides topics for it, they become integral part of help just by linking bazaar into assembly.

Re: Problems with help organization [message #30265 is a reply to message #30254] Tue, 21 December 2010 11:36 Go to previous message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
ok. I plan to look into this some more over the next couple of weeks to see if I can make a new help system that's orthogonal to the existing one. I have no idea how much time it will take or how much time I can put into it so it's just an idea at the moment.

Graeme
Previous Topic: Ultimate book questions
Next Topic: Getting started with theIDE update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:32:23 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01236 seconds