FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Documentation » Ultimate book questions
Ultimate book questions [message #29606] Wed, 03 November 2010 12:31 Go to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
I can't figure out what the UltimateBook application in bazaar is supposed to do - it asks for html folder and pdf file name. Is this going to make a pdf file out of a bunch of html files? If so, why would I want to?

I also can't figure out the ultimate book project. I've read the tpp topic with the horse picture Smile
What is this all about?

I'm hoping the end result is going to be a document that has better index/ contents etc. than a bunch of html links on web pages or the topic++ style.

Graeme
Re: Ultimate book questions [message #29607 is a reply to message #29606] Wed, 03 November 2010 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Graeme,

It produces pdf and/or html files. Just fill in the file name for pdf or folder to put the html in and check the respective options. But first you will have to change one line in source specifying the path to sources. It is in Main::DoGo(), in main.cpp and it should be something like
String uppfolder = "C:\path\to\upp\"; //note: the ending '\' is required

One more note: The uppfolder must contain uppsrc and uppbox directories, i.e. it must be sources taken from SVN (regular releases don't have uppbox).

It is a bit inconvenient, but that will definitely get better with time Wink

Honza
Re: Ultimate book questions [message #29610 is a reply to message #29607] Wed, 03 November 2010 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Thats it Smile. (thank you Honza)

In the help it is possible to follow the status of this package.

It is very preliminar but if you want an oflline help you can get it with .html or with a big unordered .pdf.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Ultimate book questions [message #29619 is a reply to message #29610] Thu, 04 November 2010 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Well I haven't managed to follow what the idea of the ultimate book is at all but I think U++ needs a proper/traditional help facility organized along the lines of what I wrote here
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4428& amp;start=0&

I think there should be a left hand pane with a tree showing the contents and the right hand pane with the text. Possibly even a standalone app or a separate window so you can view code and the help at the same time if you want.

Do you think this is viable?

I seem to remember there was some kind of problem with doing this so I'll have to review that thread and see if I can remember what it was.

Graeme
Re: Ultimate book questions [message #29621 is a reply to message #29619] Thu, 04 November 2010 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

gprentice wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 11:48

I think there should be a left hand pane with a tree showing the contents and the right hand pane with the text. Possibly even a standalone app or a separate window so you can view code and the help at the same time if you want.
Isn't that what is in theide right now? Left panel with help contents arranged into chapters, one chapter for each package, right panel with the actual text. There is even a search box, to help you find what you are looking for. I don't say the help is perfect, but IMHO it gives you very similar possibilities as traditional windows help browser. The rest is a question of what the help contents should look like... (And is to be discussed in the other thread you mentioned)

Having help in separate window might be nice feature, but I personally would not use it much, simply because I don't need to. I commonly use the help for two things: 1) I need just a quick glimpse into the reference to get a meaning of some argument or something similar, or 2) I am studying something more complex, e.g. trying to understand a whole class. In either case I don't need to see the code at the same time, because in 1) I can keep it my memory for the short period of switch and in 2) I write code after I finish reading.

BTW: For 1) I often use Alt+J to get to the definition of whatever I need to see reference and point the mouse on the green square which shows the reference as tooltip, and then just Alt-Left arrow to get back to wherever I was before. That is IMHO the fastest way to use the reference Wink

Honza
Re: Ultimate book questions [message #29628 is a reply to message #29621] Thu, 04 November 2010 20:21 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
dolik.rce

Having help in separate window might be nice feature, but I personally would not use it much, simply because I don't need to.

Yep, but you're more of a developer than a user. For beginners, finding information is a challenge. If U++ is intentionally beginner unfriendly that's ok but I'm going to investigate whether I can create a proper help facility. There seems to be enough people willing to fill in content if they knew where to fill it in.

dolik.rce

BTW: For 1) I often use Alt+J to get to the definition of whatever I need to see reference and point the mouse on the green square which shows the reference as tooltip, and then just Alt-Left arrow to get back to wherever I was before. That is IMHO the fastest way to use the reference Wink

Yep, I use SlickEdit and goto definition and pop back is one of its top features. In U++, pop back doesn't work if you're in a layout file and not in text mode. I have an idea the goto / pop back mechanism could be improved in U++ - or at least document the Alt-Left arrow key in the help or keyboard shortcuts dialog, if not already. SlickEdit tends to "push bookmarks" automatically a lot and it has a bookmark stack viewer and a pop-all-bookmarks command and you can also push a bookmark on demand. Unfortunately, the heavy use of macros in U++ tends to defeat SlickEdit's goto definition sometimes.

Graeme
Previous Topic: How can I set up UPPWEB on my computer?
Next Topic: Problems with help organization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:36:18 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02952 seconds