Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Very slow startup on Windows 7
Very slow startup on Windows 7 [message #30292] Wed, 22 December 2010 11:24 Go to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
This is an odd one. Basically on one of my Windows 7 boxes TheIDE starts up incredibly slowly, it takes 3-4 minutes before the package selection screen is displayed. There is a similar delay when opening some other dialogs, such as Build Setup.

My other Windows 7 64bit box is fine, so clearly this isn't a general issue. I've tried everything I can think of: Recompilation, run as administrator, run in XP compability mode, granting full permissions to the upp directories. Nothing makes any difference.

I have no idea what's wrong with it. I'm not expecting a definitive fix or anything, just wondering if anyone had further ideas of things to try. It's driving me crazy!
Re: Very slow startup on Windows 7 [message #30296 is a reply to message #30292] Wed, 22 December 2010 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi, couldn't it be a drive issue? I once had a hdd with many bad sectors that was performing very slow (before crashing my system completely Smile ). I would try to run theide from separate drive (even usb flash dongle would do...) to see if it helps.

Honza
Re: Very slow startup on Windows 7 [message #30332 is a reply to message #30292] Sat, 25 December 2010 00:16 Go to previous message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
I recently had a problem when switching from Vista to XP that ran OK until some apps were installed, then the OS
was very slow starting and would sometimes hang on exit.

I tried in taskmanager manually closing a process that would open on start up but not show as an application. There were several "add on" apps that come with downloaded applications.

After specifically closing ZoneAlarm, which I have used for years without a problem, with a new install of the XP with SP3 and ZA there was a glitch. Ended the process related to ZA and the computer shut down OK. When booted up again uninstalled ZA.

It boots and shuts down OK. There is a dual boot with Linux (Ubuntu) which ran fine so I was sure the hdd, etc was OK.

Some apps, including theIDE, were much slower opening also.

Problems are usually very easy to fix when the cause is found.
They make my head hurt.

Good luck on quickly finding the cause.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 December 2010 00:21]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: gcc441 + uldar produces a crashing executable
Next Topic: Docking for ToolBars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:38:37 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01717 seconds