Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » SOLVED - When I try to do the exe on computer I get has encountered a problem
icon14.gif  SOLVED - When I try to do the exe on computer I get has encountered a problem [message #32721] Fri, 03 June 2011 20:07 Go to next message
silverx is currently offline  silverx
I created a couple of programs. I can run them on the vista machine I created the program, and then when I try on another computer running XP SP3, they run fine, but if I try and run them on yet another computer also running XP SP2, but I upgraded to SP3 as well it gives me:

xxx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Send Error Report, or Don't Send.

While I can see the data that it has with the I can't copy it to even send to any one. The data doesn't stay around long enough for me to even copy it.

I have attached the code, and the exe in a zip file. This is a stripped down system information example to just get a few simple items and put in a prompt box to view the information.

Is there anything I can do to make it easier to find the issue on the one system that my programs are not working?

The simple gui01 does work on it just fine, as I did try that on the machine.

I did try it on a windows 7 system, and they did run fine. I only have limited access to the windows 7 system as it is strictly remote access and not very fast.

Thanks

David

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2011 16:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #32725 is a reply to message #32721] Sat, 04 June 2011 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello SilverX

I have compiled your sample. As XSysInfo package is not included, I added SysInfo package and changed <XSysInfo/XSysInfo.h> to <SysInfo/SysInfo.h>.

In my PC it compiles and runs perfectly.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #32726 is a reply to message #32725] Sat, 04 June 2011 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am added zip for the xsysinfo.h and that. The reason I used it is the sysinfo package gives me a error code about an entry point not found, and will not compile. So I had to modify it to not include those items, and only include the functions I need.

As I say I can get it to work just fine on 3 out of 4 machines just fine.

I don't know why on the one machine it doesn't run.
  • Attachment: xsysinfo.zip
    (Size: 130.13KB, Downloaded 315 times)
Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #32728 is a reply to message #32726] Sat, 04 June 2011 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello SilverX

AFAIK the problem you detected was solved in this post. Changes were uploaded to Bazaar.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #32730 is a reply to message #32728] Sat, 04 June 2011 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I know it was fixed, but that was after I stripped it down to just what I needed.

Further on the issue, I found the statement that it is having the problem with. I got IDA disassembler, and using the address from the information I found the instruction. Also the IDA disassembler allows you to run the code, and it gave me the illegal instruction on the same instruction.

It is in the Upp::StdConvertDouble code.

I also compiled and linked the code for bombs.exe and it runs fine on all of the computers including the one that I am having the issue with my program with.

I then used the IDA disassembler on bombs.exe and found the same code.

Interesting, it is not the same code. My uses MOVSD which is the illegal instruction.

Attached is a zip with 2 files in it. one with bombs.txt, which is the code from bombs.exe the other mysysinfo.txt from code of my program.

Not sure why the code is different for this function, as both were compiled and linked on the same computer. And I didn't change any linking option between them.

Any possible reason for this difference in the compiled code?

smaller part of code from mysysinfo

mov ecx, $S20
or ecx, 1
mov $S20, ecx
mov [ebp+var_4], 0
push 0
movsd xmm0, ds:qword_8DB838
xorpd xmm0, oword ptr ds:__mask@@NegDouble@
sub esp, 8
movsd [esp+1Ch+var_1C], xmm0
sub esp, 8
fld ds:qword_8DB838
fstp [esp+24h+var_24]
mov ecx, offset unk_AFE170
call j_Upp__ConvertDouble__ConvertDouble
push offset _Upp__StdConvertDouble____2____dynamic_atexit_destructor_for __x__ ; _onexit_t
call atexit
add esp, 4
mov [ebp+var_4], 0FFFFFFFFh

The code from bombs for the same part of the code

mov ecx, $S20
or ecx, 1
mov $S20, ecx
mov [ebp+var_4], 0
push 0
fld ds:dbl_7845E8
fchs
sub esp, 8
fstp [esp+1Ch+var_1C]
sub esp, 8
fld ds:dbl_7845E8
fstp [esp+24h+var_24]
mov ecx, offset unk_947D28
call j_Upp__ConvertDouble__ConvertDouble
push offset _Upp__StdConvertDouble____2____dynamic_atexit_destructor_for __x__ ; _onexit_t
call atexit
add esp, 4
mov [ebp+var_4], 0FFFFFFFFh

Just a few lines are different, it uses fstp instead of movsd.

Any idea's on why and how to get them to generate the same code?

David

• Attachment: codedif.zip
    (Size: 1.64KB, Downloaded 302 times)
icon7.gif  Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #32732 is a reply to message #32730] Sat, 04 June 2011 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good news I found the issue. I had it set to GUI SSE, and the processor on the one it is not working doesn't is very old.

I changed the setting to just GUI and rebuild it all, and then tried it, and it works. I also checked the code and it looked like the booms.exe.

So problem is solved.
Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #32739 is a reply to message #32732] Sun, 05 June 2011 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #32807 is a reply to message #32730] Sat, 11 June 2011 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
Hi David

I was just curious as to why you chose the IDA disassembler?

I tried that and it seems to break an .exe file down OK but haven't
taken the time to try and understand it.

I have the latest sqlite but still can't open their Help file.
Re: When I try to do the exe on computer I get xx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. [message #33643 is a reply to message #32807] Sat, 03 September 2011 15:01 Go to previous message
I use it as it is free. And it appears to do a an ok job for me. If someone knows of a better free one, then I will give it a try as well.

David
Previous Topic: Compile Error with NOGTK flag
Next Topic: Windows Can't continue error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:13:01 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01538 seconds