FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Qt/Windows Open Source
Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2593] Tue, 18 April 2006 15:01 Go to next message
_Seven_ is currently offline  _Seven_
Well i'm interested in learning Qt. I would like to use Upp as mine IDE but i don't know integrate Qt/Windows Open Source with Upp. Can someone teach me how i can do that?? Exists some tutorial?
Thank you for your attention.Help me please.
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2594 is a reply to message #2593] Tue, 18 April 2006 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

_Seven_ wrote on Tue, 18 April 2006 09:01

Well i'm interested in learning Qt. I would like to use Upp as mine IDE but i don't know integrate Qt/Windows Open Source with Upp. Can someone teach me how i can do that?? Exists some tutorial?
Thank you for your attention.Help me please.

I strongly suggest you to be interested in learning U++ Wink especialy it seems that you don't know both qt and upp.
Althoug I didn't try to build qt apps from the ide, there should not be any bigger problem. All you have to do is to add custom build step to call moc preprocessor before running c++ compiler.. and set proper qt libs in package organizer to be linked.

Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2657 is a reply to message #2593] Thu, 20 April 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i only know C++ with console interface. Now i want create programs with a nice interface. I have already saw an examples of U++ but it seems to be much limited then Qt. But this isn't a problem for me, i don't want to be an expert in interfaces of programs. But i need some tutorials to learn U++. You know some tutorials that i can read? I will appreciate.
Thank you for your attention.
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2659 is a reply to message #2657] Thu, 20 April 2006 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
_Seven_ wrote on Thu, 20 April 2006 06:48

Well i only know C++ with console interface. Now i want create programs with a nice interface. I have already saw an examples of U++ but it seems to be much limited then Qt.

Why do you think so?

Mirek
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2663 is a reply to message #2593] Thu, 20 April 2006 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well Qt has been developed for a long time. I experimented use Qt development kit and comparing with the creation of layouts in U++ its clearly most advanced. Large number of applications are created with Qt , the feedback is much bigger and the support given too. I'm not take off the quality of U++, i'm one fan of U++ and i fallow the project for along time and i want continue to follow.
Now, that is a problem that exists in the project. If U++ have something to show, something for people learn and take the best of the U++, that information must have to be displayed to all comunity! Create a tutorial teaching the U++ language, with this more people came, more feedback will have.
I'm interested to learn but i don't know how!
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2664 is a reply to message #2593] Thu, 20 April 2006 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
_Seven_ wrote on Fri, 21 April 2006 00:31

Create a tutorial teaching the U++ language, with this more people came, more feedback will have.

I agree that U++ is currently too hard to get into for most people and it's quite hard to see what U++ is capable of. A way to get started is to read the tutorials that do exist

http://upp.sourceforge.net/examples$uppweb$HelloWorld$en-us. html
http://upp.sourceforge.net/srcdoc$CtrlLib$Tutorial$en-us.htm l
http://www.arilect.com/upp/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id= 114&

then try the examples and reference examples one by one and experiment. Pick a widget one at a time and try to find out how to use it - i.e. look through the examples to see how a widget of that type can be used. Some widgets like ArrayCtrl you can find documented in the help system.

Suppose you want to group controls - this is fairly basic GUI functionality, but as far as I am aware, it's not documented anywhere how to do it. The way to do it is to add controls to a parent Ctrl e.g.

struct App : TopWindow {
Ctrl mc1;
StaticRect s1;
// ...
w.mc1.Add(w.s1);
w.s1.SetPos(w.s1.PosLeft(5, 15), w.s1.PosTop(20, 5));

mc1 is the parent Ctrl and s1 is the child control. s1.PosLeft and PosTop set the position of the child control relative to the parent control. U++ widgets all derive from Ctrl.

By playing with the examples and widgets, you can gradually learn U++ - but it takes a bit longer than it would with proper help and "tutorials" for everything.

(oops, accidentally logged myself out while writing this - hope it doesn't appear twice or something!)

Graeme

[Updated on: Thu, 04 May 2006 15:15] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2666 is a reply to message #2663] Thu, 20 April 2006 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
_Seven_ wrote on Thu, 20 April 2006 08:31

Well Qt has been developed for a long time. I experimented use Qt development kit and comparing with the creation of layouts in U++ its clearly most advanced. Large number of applications are created with Qt , the feedback is much bigger and the support given too. I'm not take off the quality of U++, i'm one fan of U++ and i fallow the project for along time and i want continue to follow.
Now, that is a problem that exists in the project. If U++ have something to show, something for people learn and take the best of the U++, that information must have to be displayed to all comunity! Create a tutorial teaching the U++ language, with this more people came, more feedback will have.

OK, I was just curious. Everybody here has to agree about tutorials.

I do not get the "layouts part", but never mind Wink

Mirek
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2667 is a reply to message #2664] Thu, 20 April 2006 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
gprentice wrote on Thu, 20 April 2006 09:10

w.mc1.Add(w.s1);

Can be done with less typing (and typos) as

w.mc1.Add(w.s1.LeftPos(5, 15).TopPos(20, 5));

Of course, one can still use layout here too Wink

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2006 16:20]

Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2669 is a reply to message #2657] Thu, 20 April 2006 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
_Seven_ wrote on Thu, 20 April 2006 11:48

Well i only know C++ with console interface. Now i want create programs with a nice interface. I have already saw an examples of U++ but it seems to be much limited then Qt. But this isn't a problem for me, i don't want to be an expert in interfaces of programs. But i need some tutorials to learn U++. You know some tutorials that i can read? I will appreciate.
Thank you for your attention.

1. Then, read why Fox-Toolkit was created. Fox is better and easier.

2. But... I lost patience with Qt after 3 days (I'd better use MFC despite technology advantages...)... with Fox - after 3 months...

3. If you use GNU(Generally Not Useable...) or similar licenced software you can't sell your programs without big problems. Why to spend time learning if you are not free to use them freely?

4. Have in mind Ultimate's super libraries and super IDE where you have all-in-one and beauty of code without endless pointer casting end worries about memory leaks.

5. Tutorials? I started using Ultimate++ without any tutorials. What's inside - it's a tutorial itself... Smile Ok, Bruce Eckel for general C++ is useful. Read our forums and you will understand why... Smile
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2670 is a reply to message #2669] Thu, 20 April 2006 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
P.S. Start a single step and ask questions if you can't understand.
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2673 is a reply to message #2667] Thu, 20 April 2006 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Fri, 21 April 2006 02:19

w.mc1.Add(w.s1);

Mirek

Cool, thanks! By layout, I guess you mean the GUI designer - yeah, I forgot to mention that. (I thought fudadmin would jump on me there!). I'm more into coding and haven't played with the designer much yet.

Graeme
Re: Qt/Windows Open Source [message #2681 is a reply to message #2673] Thu, 20 April 2006 23:04 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
gprentice wrote on Thu, 20 April 2006 18:40

luzr wrote on Fri, 21 April 2006 02:19

w.mc1.Add(w.s1);

Mirek

Cool, thanks! By layout, I guess you mean the GUI designer - yeah, I forgot to mention that. (I thought fudadmin would jump on me there!). I'm more into coding and haven't played with the designer much yet.

Graeme

That's why some countries have never produced any "Ferraries"...
They're still trying to race with some jumping animals Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2006 23:05]

Previous Topic: why are these recent changes in upp files of plugins
Next Topic: Think bigger think higher!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:56:30 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02140 seconds