Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Anyone still using Ubuntu Hardy or Jaunty?
icon5.gif  Anyone still using Ubuntu Hardy or Jaunty? [message #33132] Sun, 10 July 2011 11:40 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone!

I'd like to know if anyone is still using U++ on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron or on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope. Hardy officially is now only spported in the server version (till Aprill 2013), Jaunty is not supported by Canonical anymore at all.

I am asking because I would like to upgrade the launchpad builds to a newer version of debian packages, which is unfortunately not supported in these two old Ubuntu versions, so I am contemplating dropping the support for them. The statistics from I gathered from launchpad say that for last release there was 6 downloads from hardy and 3 from jaunty. That is definitely minor compared to 250+ downloads of the other versions, so I think that dropping them is no big deal, but I don't want to cause any trouble to anyone (so that's why I'm asking Wink ).

If you use the PPA on any of those two, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
Honza

Re: Anyone still using Ubuntu Hardy or Jaunty? [message #35212 is a reply to message #33132] Sun, 22 January 2012 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Does somebody still use ubuntu Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron or on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope?

This is last call. After half a year of this question hanging here I finally rewrote the packaging and since it now uses more modern format, adding support for hardy would be quite complicated. So if nobody objects, I'm determined to drop support for those two outdated distributions.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Anyone still using Ubuntu Hardy or Jaunty? [message #35215 is a reply to message #35212] Mon, 23 January 2012 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Honza,

There may be other opinions, but I think there is no reason for you to extend your support beyond what Ubuntu offers for the OS platform: It's 18 months for a normal biannual release, three years for LTS on desktop and five years for LTS on server. Although starting with 12.04 LTS, it will be five years for LTS for both desktop and server. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS)

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Anyone still using Ubuntu Hardy or Jaunty? [message #35217 is a reply to message #35215] Mon, 23 January 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Tom1 wrote on Mon, 23 January 2012 08:56

Hi Honza,

There may be other opinions, but I think there is no reason for you to extend your support beyond what Ubuntu offers for the OS platform: It's 18 months for a normal biannual release, three years for LTS on desktop and five years for LTS on server. Although starting with 12.04 LTS, it will be five years for LTS for both desktop and server. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS)

Best regards,

Tom

Well, yes I'm ... It depends whether we want to go for the server support lifetime. But thinking of it now, since development should happen on desktops I guess it is reasonable to drop Hardy Smile

And just today I noticed Jaunty support was removed from Launchpad, so it is gone forever whether anyone likes it or not Very Happy

Honza
Re: Anyone still using Ubuntu Hardy or Jaunty? [message #35219 is a reply to message #35217] Mon, 23 January 2012 19:20 Go to previous message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

I use. But always make binary theide from sources. PPA not needed!

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Previous Topic: PPA for Oneric !
Next Topic: Error compiling nightly-4611
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:09:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01606 seconds