Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » Applications created with U++ » EnvVarEditor
EnvVarEditor [message #2695] Fri, 21 April 2006 21:33 Go to next message
kevinle10@gmail.com is currently offline  kevinle10@gmail.com
Promising Member
I wrote this application which is intended to help users dealing with Windows environment variables in a more user-friendly way.

http://pragmaticobjects.org/index.php?itemid=3

Ultimate++ helps making my job very easy. I'd like to summarize my expeiences with U++:

1. Things I like:
a. Making windows resizable is so trivial.
b. Overall number lines of code in an app is short.
c. Using ArrayCtrl, I get almost everything for free: inline editing, context menu with insert, append, move actions.
d. One liner to give app XP look on Windows.
f. Callback (event handling is superior)
g. Modern use of C++.
h. App footprint is small. No dynamic linking is necessary.
i. On Windows, at installation time, you point to the VC8 compiler, and compiling/linking starts working from point. Not like VC8 IDE.
j. No nonsense managed/unmanaged features like VC++ 8.
h. Deployment (distribution) is pleasant. Again, distribution of apps developed by a VC++ 8 just doesn't make sense (That's all the space and time permits me to say about this now and here). But I want to thank Microsoft for making this distribution feature a nightmare, because that's what prompted to look into U++.

2. Things I wish U++ has, but I can find work-around:
a. Nicer File Select and Folder Select common dialogs (on Win). I used ShellAPI to work around. I don't know if the equivalent can be done in Linux.

3. Things I wish U++ has, and I can not find work-around easily:
a. Browser widget. QTF is NOT that great.
b. ArrayCtrl with cells that have helper button. Button normally is hidden until users starts editing on the cell. This is really needed in app that has large string data in cells. For example, a database manager like TOAD with a grid of data.

I look forward to the next release and beyond. Thanks U++.
Re: EnvVarEditor [message #2698 is a reply to message #2695] Sat, 22 April 2006 00:08 Go to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

First! Congratulations!
Second! Thanks for a great tool. I was about to write similar one myself. It is a shame that since win nt environment variables editing window is so small and not resizeable. PATH var in very short time become very very long. But this is not the only place when dialogs are not resizeable. I wonder if vista inherits these...

PS: Speaking about file selector. Upp must have it's own one because your program can be run on different platforms. Of course there are places to improvement like adding unc paths or left highly customizable pane for shurtcuts.
(BTW: Native win32 fs is the ugliest one I've ever seen. You can't add your path on left pane, and you can't make that large icons smaller... but the worst is the time I have to spend waiting it to open up (and of course there is no option to switch off checking cd-roms labels to speed it up a little bit..))
Previous Topic: How does Ultimate Player do that?
Next Topic: Mix++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:11:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01062 seconds