Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » Windows 8
Windows 8 [message #33896] Thu, 22 September 2011 23:06 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Ok, I have watched many sessions from build conference and I must say all that metro stuff is not for me. For tablets that seems to be a good solution but for desktop.. well - I just don't feel it. I was sad that very good start menu from windows 7 is gone until I found this comment here:
http://community.devexpress.com/blogs/seth/archive/2011/09/2 1/microsoft-build-conference-2011-ted-neward-s-take-on-day-1 .aspx
It turns out that metro start screen can be disabled and old good start menu can be restored. I hope MS will leave that possibility in the final version Smile
But more than that I was interested in new winrt and ability to use c++ and xaml. This is certainly a good move in spite of being forced to use visual c++ with some new extensions. Xaml is powerful and lot of things (complex ui controls, animations) can be done with ease. But although xaml is nice I still prefer U++ way and I was a little bit afraid at first that creating metro applications without xaml will be impossible. In this post however ( http://dougseven.com/2011/09/15/a-bad-picture-is-worth-a-tho usand-long-discussions/) I found that xaml is not the only option for new windows' ui. DirectX (and most likely Direct2D) can be used as well. So I guess the first thing we need is directx plugin for rainbow. If I only find some time I'll try to provide such a plugin (unless someone else will do it first Smile. The next thing necessary will be moving away from win32 api and that part can be more complicated (or not as winrt support some part of win32 functionality (if I understand correctly one of the speaker)).
I wonder what you guys think about new windows.
Re: Windows 8 [message #33897 is a reply to message #33896] Fri, 23 September 2011 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I don't follow MS products any more and I don't care.

I have plenty of worries with late development path of Linux and classic personal computing, looks like most of the people went insane and they are giving up all the freedom and power for the funny toys usable just to listen mp3s and watch films. :/
Re: Windows 8 [message #33898 is a reply to message #33896] Fri, 23 September 2011 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sounds like one more reason to develop W++ and NaCl support.. Smile

Mirek

Re: Windows 8 [message #34347 is a reply to message #33896] Fri, 18 November 2011 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harmac is currently offline  harmac
Promising Member
According to posting pattern, reads like spam.
Re: Windows 8 [message #34351 is a reply to message #34347] Fri, 18 November 2011 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello charliedawgs

I cannot find the post about W 8 low RAM consumption.

Could you include a link ASAP?

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Windows 8 [message #37925 is a reply to message #33896] Fri, 23 November 2012 20:38 Go to previous message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Windows 8 worries me.

I don't know what will be left of classic desktop computing.

I hope U++ can support Windows 8.
Previous Topic: Build application for WinCE
Next Topic: [BUG - solved?] HttpRequest fails under FreeBSD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:09:19 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01918 seconds