Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Facebook or Google+?
Facebook or Google+? [message #34007] Sat, 08 October 2011 18:34 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have decided to create U++ page in facebook, with intention of sort of "blogging" new interesting features there.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Upp-Framework/262346610476027

Anyway, as U++ is about programmers and all programmers seem to switch head over heals to Google+, I am now questioning whether we should rather be there (I am not going to update both Smile.

Any suggestions?

Mirek
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34014 is a reply to message #34007] Sun, 09 October 2011 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
For me I prefer Google+.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34015 is a reply to message #34014] Sun, 09 October 2011 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
In addition, could we have these problems?:

- If some day Mark considers we are a harmful project Laughing he can delete all our info
- If some day Mark considers we are useful, how his famous TOS (Terms Of Service) protect us (or unprotect us Rolling Eyes)

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34016 is a reply to message #34015] Mon, 10 October 2011 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I have heard Google+ is for programmers in London...
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34020 is a reply to message #34007] Mon, 10 October 2011 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harmac is currently offline  harmac
Promising Member
Google or Facebook sounds like a choice between Scylla and Charybdis. Both are evil data squids. If blogging is the purpose, why not simply use a blog? For shorter news, there are also Twitter or identi.ca.

I would strongly suggest to use own infrastructure, though, for I find it an alarming trend that everyone seems to outsource infrastructure and becomes dependent on external providers. Many blogs, for instance, use Disqus for comments, which is absolutely horrible, given that they are not shown without JavaScript (btw another disturbing trend to require this for even the simplest websites or (even worse) online shops). Then again, instead of, say, Google Code, maybe something like Indefero should be used for more independence, but I digress.

I don't know, if there are good alternatives to something like Facebook, that can run on own infrastructure (maybe Diaspora when it is finished). If it is all about blogging, I would suggest to use a blog for that (sounds simple, I know) instead of anything else.
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34231 is a reply to message #34020] Fri, 04 November 2011 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Actually, now I think I have got it wrong way...

So the new plan is to put FB/Google/Twitter "like" buttons on all website pages and if possible, to individual forum threads or posts too.
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34234 is a reply to message #34231] Fri, 04 November 2011 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Mirek

IMHO it seems a good idea.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34236 is a reply to message #34234] Fri, 04 November 2011 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
...plus, maybe, a new "Development Blog" forum...
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34280 is a reply to message #34007] Tue, 08 November 2011 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cb27758 is currently offline  cb27758
Promising Member
Facebook is being screened in our country Mad
Re: Facebook or Google+? [message #34349 is a reply to message #34231] Fri, 18 November 2011 03:13 Go to previous message
harmac is currently offline  harmac
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Fri, 04 November 2011 12:58

Actually, now I think I have got it wrong way...

So the new plan is to put FB/Google/Twitter "like" buttons on all website pages and if possible, to individual forum threads or posts too.

This is actually a very bad idea, for Facebook tracks users even if they don't have an account. If they create one at a later time, there will already be a profile. Of course, tracking is even worse with an account.

A German computer magazine has developed a solution to prevent such tracking (Google translation) and provides the source code and documentation (Google translation) for free use (MIT License). If you want to integrate FB/Google/Twitter buttons, I'd suggest to use this solution.
Previous Topic: webbrowser like
Next Topic: What are your development phases?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:10:33 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01711 seconds