Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What Operating System do U++ users work with?
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #37380 is a reply to message #34593] Sat, 29 September 2012 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jheblack is currently offline  jheblack
Promising Member
Lubuntu -- That is as far as I can tell (2012), the Ubuntu variant that is the lightest. Installed U++ on Kubuntu before that.

I had to put stuff on a ram drive so picked the lightest OS of the Ubuntu variants that I could see.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 September 2012 02:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #40468 is a reply to message #37380] Mon, 05 August 2013 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
jheblack wrote on Fri, 28 September 2012 20:06

Lubuntu -- That is as far as I can tell (2012), the Ubuntu variant that is the lightest. Installed U++ on Kubuntu before that.

I had to put stuff on a ram drive so picked the lightest OS of the Ubuntu variants that I could see.

I'm considering testing Lubuntu or Linux Mint.

I didn't like Unity really well in Ubuntu.

PS: Also bumping this thread so more users answer.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 August 2013 22:10]

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #40550 is a reply to message #34593] Sun, 11 August 2013 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
I use both Arch Linux and Windows, but prefer to develop on Arch Linux, and in general, Linux.

Regards.

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #40555 is a reply to message #34593] Mon, 12 August 2013 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update: I'm now running Debian testing.
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #40562 is a reply to message #34669] Tue, 13 August 2013 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce wrote on Sun, 04 December 2011 15:00

lectus wrote on Sun, 04 December 2011 19:38

Interesting. I've been wanting to try Fedora 16, but didn't find any suitable U++ rpm packages. How did you install it?
There is a spec file in svn... I guess that with some minimal tweaking you could use it to build rpm package on your fedora. Or you can always compile it from source code, the old way Smile (Ask in separate thread, if you are feeling adventurous Wink )

I now installed Fedora in another box. This spec file will be useful.
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #40807 is a reply to message #40468] Fri, 20 September 2013 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

lectus wrote on Mon, 05 August 2013 22:10

I'm considering testing Lubuntu or Linux Mint.

I didn't like Unity really well in Ubuntu.

Unity, gnome shell, cinnamon... are complicated environments that I don't like. Heavy and not usefull !

You can have a Mate version of Linux Mint : it's really like the "old" (but nice !) gnome 2.

No equivallent to Lubuntu with Mint, but you have an XFCE version (like Xubuntu). And of course, you can install OpenBox/LXDE. It's what I do when I need a light environment (I don't like so much XFCE...).

And about light distros, I just discovered (yesterday afternoon !) Slitaz. Seems very nice and fast... I'll try to install U++ on it as soon as I have some time.
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #41282 is a reply to message #34593] Sun, 24 November 2013 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been happily running OpenSUSE 12.3 for some months now.

I now upgraded to OpenSUSE 13.1. This release will be evergreen and have support for 3 years. So, I'll leave it alone stable, just receiving updates.

I got U++ package from https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:dolik_rce:night ly

Great distro. Feels like Windows 7 with KDE so well integrated. Good escape from Windows 8 madness.
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #41284 is a reply to message #41282] Sun, 24 November 2013 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
Linux+UPP is otherwise fine except the debugger is much harder to use. For example, while the debugged program is running, the ide is not usable unless the debugged one is paused at a break point. You cannot view the log, nor can you edit files, ...
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #41822 is a reply to message #34670] Sun, 26 January 2014 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akspring is currently offline  akspring
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Sun, 04 December 2011 21:16

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised that Win is only 56%... Smile

Mirek

What!? Nonsense! Laughing

I would like to lodge a complaint! This poll is obviously biased, with over 11 choices for Linux and 3 for BSD. But only 1 for Windows? What about Windows 3.1? What about IBM DOS? Very Happy

Actually, that sounds like it would be an awesome port. I will make sure someday that U++ is faithfully ported to those OSes.

And that is how Utopia was created. It all started right here, with DOS, Windows, some fermented fruit juice, a 286, and our fatherly lord and shepard, the Profit BillyG, with his Debt freeing and Interest bearing Sun, the Oracle!

Edit: I forgot to comment about Mac OSX
Edit: Edit: Wait what's Mac OSX?

[Updated on: Sun, 26 January 2014 14:59]

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #41834 is a reply to message #34593] Tue, 28 January 2014 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nestorkea is currently offline  nestorkea
CrunchBang. Debian based, but more lightweight and... elegant. With same problems, however.
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #41969 is a reply to message #34593] Sun, 09 February 2014 11:44 Go to previous message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
I started using Gentoo, and am quite happy with it. only once I had a problem: libpng got upgraded and since I haven't upp as an ebuild and my build is using shared libs, I couldn't run upp for a while. remember: always build umk, statically, for these situations...
Previous Topic: CLANG 3.4
Next Topic: How's it going?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:27:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01539 seconds