Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Rendering
Rendering [message #35515] Fri, 24 February 2012 14:50 Go to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

I decided to continue the rendering conversation outside the RGBA/Color topic, since this clearly does not belong there.

--

My mind goes frequently around graphics rendering, APIs for that and even dreams of hardware acceleration. Not to mention the 'terrifying' changes in the OS platforms.

I really like to think of U++ as the ultimate abstraction layer to all important platforms and technologies which will protect my SW development investment in the years to come and over the platform changes. I'm thinking of Win32/WinRT change and Wayland coming to Linux as examples of this.

Writing and maintaining applications necessitates that we have fixed interfaces that remain available for the years to come. Employing new technologies (behind the scenes from the application's point of view) requires new abstraction layers and potentially new interfaces to gain access to new features while preserving source compatibility for the existing applications.

I admit I do not understand the U++ rendering infrastructure nearly well enough, and therefore my ideas may be simply stupid.

My point with void Paint(Painter &painter); as an option was just to offer access to new Painter grade rendering features in a way that could allow various backends to implement them efficiently later with different backend technologies and on different platforms -- even accelerated some day... perhaps.

The idea is analogous to what Draw does currently with GDI grade graphics.

Maybe I see the big picture all wrong (it has happened to me before ...)

How do you see the future on this subject?

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Rendering [message #35519 is a reply to message #35515] Fri, 24 February 2012 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Fri, 24 February 2012 08:50

How do you see the future on this subject?

IMO, Draw is functional subset of Painter and it is easier to use too, yet it has enough capabilities to cover 90% of cases (I have to admit that I have not yet used Painter to paint the surface of widget in any of my production code. Draw is simply enough).

Draw, unlike Painter, can also be implemented with almost all host systems, which then leads to HW acceleration.

If you have to use Painter, it is OK, but it looks like the hard part, the one that needs to be maintained in the furure, is painting algorithm itself, not its binding to Paint, which is relatively simple.

As to the whole subject of WinRT/Wayland etc... I am starting to think that maybe some experimental RAINBOW project to hijack some other toolkit as U++ low-level might not be that bad idea... OTOH, perhaps OpenGL backend is enough too. Hard to say.

Or maybe we should make CtrlCore somewhat optional and build CtrlLib on higher-level stuff... I do not know. But our unability to get MacOSX covered makes me a little bit nervous Smile
Re: Rendering [message #35573 is a reply to message #35519] Wed, 29 February 2012 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Thanks for your views. Using OpenGL sounds much more appealing to me than some heavyweight toolkit. Do I understand it correctly that Uno is working on this as a Rainbow backend?

If U++ would work on MacOSX, I would certainly consider getting one.

--

The original reason I started using Painter was nothing more than lack of wide dashed lines in Draw. Now I'm addicted to anti-aliasing too...

Anyway, could you consider merging wide dashed lines support to Draw if I can supply working code for both GDI and X11, while also keeping it source compatible for applications?

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Rendering [message #35575 is a reply to message #35573] Wed, 29 February 2012 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Wed, 29 February 2012 15:35

Anyway, could you consider merging wide dashed lines support to Draw if I can supply working code for both GDI and X11, while also keeping it source compatible for applications?

Best regards,

Tom

Actually, I was rather thinking about removing (well, obsoleting) anything line/polygon related from Draw...

Thing is, most application I have ever done are only using DrawRect, DrawText and DrawImage. It is enough to build a GUI. For polygons, we can use Painter.

Would simplify creating new rainbow backends as well...

Mirek
Re: Rendering [message #35578 is a reply to message #35575] Thu, 01 March 2012 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Scary!

If Draw would only support Rect, Text and Image, it sounds like a lock-out of HW accelerated vector graphics. Is this really your intent? Although there are many dialogs using standard controls, most of my applications use vector graphics too.

Best regards,

Tom

Re: Rendering [message #35579 is a reply to message #35578] Thu, 01 March 2012 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2012 04:05

Scary!

If Draw would only support Rect, Text and Image, it sounds like a lock-out of HW accelerated vector graphics. Is this really your intent?

At this moment, it is just opinion, not intent Smile

And, if that happens, it would be more likely "obsoleting", not removing. Or maybe saying that basic Draw is not required to implement those or something like that.

All things considered, I would say that the basic level provided by Draw is simply unsufficient for anything serious and good looking by today's standards - but if you move beyond that, you would find that there is little HW acceleration possible for 'fine' 2D.

Re: Rendering [message #35583 is a reply to message #35579] Thu, 01 March 2012 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mirek

You are right but for now there is a big speed difference between Draw and Painter.

Draw visual quality is sub-standard but key for special applications. I realized it using ScatterCtrl for "real time" graphs: Draw is much faster.

Best regards
IƱaki

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2012 13:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Rendering [message #35594 is a reply to message #35583] Sat, 03 March 2012 09:33 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Based on current GDI and X11 implementations, I have been thinking of Draw as a single native vector graphics abstraction that is and will be mapped to all native targets on all supported platforms, no matter if they are window, buffer, printer or PDF. Additionally, some targets (window and buffer) may gain acceleration on the way if such is supported by the target. IMO this kind of one-stop-vector-graphics-shop will be needed in the future too.

If mandatory parts of Draw will be narrowed down, I seriously suggest having mandatory BeginGdi()/EndGdi() -like solutions for all native targets to allow proper target specific extensions to be developed. This way it would be possible to make a 'SuperDraw' that takes Draw as contructor parameter, and then implements wider API calling GDI/X11/OpenGL/Painter or whatever the backend really is. If the backend was not (yet) natively supported by 'SuperDraw', we could use local BufferPainter to handle the drawing and push the image to Draw.

Best regards,

Tom
Previous Topic: Substring search algorithm
Next Topic: Subforum for collaboration on commercial projects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:07:35 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01461 seconds