Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » debugging speed exes
debugging speed exes [message #36094] Fri, 27 April 2012 00:00 Go to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Hello,

I realise I should know this by now but I have a crash which only shows up in my optimal and speed builds. I can get it to crash when I debug my speed build but then I have no idea what to do with the resulting information. Even if I could find out what function it is in when it crashes that could be useful.

Anyone got any tips or info on debugging speed builds with theIDE please?

Re: debugging speed exes [message #36095 is a reply to message #36094] Fri, 27 April 2012 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
I decided to reply rather than edit as I am answering my own question.... I found the option to build with debug information - genius!! I can recreate my crash and see which function it happens in.

UPP rocks!

N Smile
Re: debugging speed exes [message #36096 is a reply to message #36094] Fri, 27 April 2012 07:26 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Nick,

Just a little warning Wink Be aware that even though the debugging symbols are present, the debugger might tell you slightly incorrect information. Due to optimizations often some variables can't be inspected and even some line numbers can be a little off, especially for inlined functions. So if the debugger points you to a code which looks perfectly correct, it might really be correct Smile

Another thing to try might be turning the optimizations off one by one... Or compiling only parts of the program with speed optimization - you can start by allowing it for some packages and after localizing the problem, you can step down to files level. That way, you can hunt the problem down at least to few functions in that file.

Best regards,
Honza
Previous Topic: MSC10x64 install
Next Topic: Compiling error with UPP 4810
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:14:01 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01534 seconds