Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37257 is a reply to message #37256] Wed, 12 September 2012 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

I agree with drjo1952. Perhaps Bazaar items would fit in original BuildAll or in a separate BuildAllBazaar.

In any case the Bazaar contributors that would want their packages there would have to prepare the packages to fit in (if necessary) and indicate what are the packages to include.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37258 is a reply to message #37241] Thu, 13 September 2012 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 10 September 2012 13:33

Novo wrote on Mon, 10 September 2012 12:52

drjo1952 wrote on Mon, 10 September 2012 12:40

Mirek,

I would like to vote for an automatic testing program as a critical next-step activity.

drjo1952

Buildbot is good for both automated building and testing.

uppsrc/BuildAll builds all of reference and examples..

Original intention was to run it before each release Smile

I agree that some automated testing system would be nice. In fact, I guess this is where dolik's experimental website might be useful Smile

Smile Well, this one-loop app is far-far away in capabilities from buildbot, which is quite powerfull and easy to set up. Smile
IMHO it would be better to spend time improving U++ itself instead of reimplementing already well working apps.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37259 is a reply to message #36984] Thu, 13 September 2012 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 05:13

Hi everybody,

with Skylark being finialized (just a couple of documentation topics missing now), I would like to start a debate about things to be done next (and estimates in [d]ays/[w]eeks/[m]onth).

My favorite topics:

Platforms

Another crazy idea: hardware-accelerated version of rainbow similar to FireMonkey.
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Vector drawn interface elements
  • Any visual component can be a child of any other visual component allowing for creation of hybrid components
  • Built-in styling support
  • Support for visual effects (such as Glow, Inner Glow, Blur for example) and animation of visual components

Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37260 is a reply to message #37259] Thu, 13 September 2012 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Wed, 12 September 2012 23:49

Another crazy idea: hardware-accelerated version of rainbow similar to FireMonkey.
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Vector drawn interface elements
  • Any visual component can be a child of any other visual component allowing for creation of hybrid components
  • Built-in styling support
  • Support for visual effects (such as Glow, Inner Glow, Blur for example) and animation of visual components

Smile

I think you do not need to coordinate this with U++ release cycle, it should be possible to develop idependently...
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37360 is a reply to message #36984] Thu, 27 September 2012 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
malinowskia is currently offline  malinowskia
What about porting U++ to touchpoints (tablets, smartphones)

I know that main purpose of this software is to use in desktop application but new devices are trying to replace standard desktop apraoch and will do in near future.

F have informed that use HTML5 was a mistake and will switch to native app.

Arek

Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37361 is a reply to message #37360] Thu, 27 September 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
what about a nicer, more win32/gtk independent beatyfied upp ctrls look? Smile could be a upp own fingerprint /look and feel for upp-based software..we dont need software to look like OS related

those fancy controls from the touch gadgets are stealing the show... a bit.

win 8 will have touch/multitouch, we have to prepare to use that

[Updated on: Thu, 27 September 2012 15:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37363 is a reply to message #37361] Thu, 27 September 2012 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
Make the "Find" box display "No more found"
and an option to start at the top, edit text to search, ...

Instead of having it just disappear.
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #37770 is a reply to message #37363] Sun, 11 November 2012 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
With a desktop or notebook with a keyboard Ctrl+F is fast and easy to pull up the 'Find' box.

On a tablet with a smaller screen without a keyboard clicking to bring up an on screen keyboard or Edit->Find and Replace->Find to paste in selected text or just search again from the top or even another file.

I don't recall using any other IDE, text editor, etc. where the find box just vanishes.

Some users are more mouse oriented when debugging.
Especially when different computer keyboards are different for a 12, 15 or 17 inch computers.
And for those that do not have the Hot-Keys memorized.

One option may be to have Ctrl+F toggle it Off-ON.
Maybe even in setup have the option to toggle or the way it is now.
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38116 is a reply to message #36984] Sat, 01 December 2012 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
victor is currently offline  victor
Promising Member
All sounds great!
What is the status of UPP-MacOSX ? Where could I get the last version?
thanks,
w
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38168 is a reply to message #36984] Mon, 03 December 2012 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cocos2d-x is currently offline  Cocos2d-x
Hello All,

I know U++ can not be an all encompassing solution for every category of development.

That being said, I saw that someone proposed a FireMonkey (or WPF) like GUI system. I would like to second that.

I truly believe that more control over GUI and in particular adding animation will be mandatory really soon.

I don't know the easyest path to get this or even if core U++ developers have an interest to let this happen.

U++ is really great for productivity and it would be nice if it could also be used in future for more up to date GUIs.

Now a proposal. A full vectorial GUI is maybe too hard to achieve, but something more dynamic using OpenGl is feasible.

I tried Cocos2d-X, which is a C++ port of Cocos2d.

Results are great and impressive, some GUI controls like sliders and potentiometers are available. For sure it is game oriented, but can be extended to be a full GUI. It is not vectorial, but highly multiplatform.

Cocos2D-x coding is kind of verbose. But if .LAY file could generate Cocos2d scenes it would be a true gift.

A mix of U++ and Cocos2d-X would give a productivity boost for game developpers and a animatable GUI to U++ developpers.

Sorry for this long post. But i'm really interested in it.

Best regards.
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38190 is a reply to message #37770] Wed, 05 December 2012 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
To stop the 'Find' box from disappearing this was done and maybe it will be useful to someone else when working on a tablet without a keyboard or get tired of using Ctrl+F.

Quote:

To prevent Find box from vanishing:

C:\upp\uppsrc\CodeEditor\FindReplace.cpp
comment line 555 and add line with ;

compile C:\upp\uppsrc\ide in TheIDE
rename to theide.exe and paste into C:\upp

It will search to the bottom of a file then search from the top again. Other files can be searched also.
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38433 is a reply to message #38190] Sat, 15 December 2012 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
The above post worked OK for basics. When a Find-Replace in addition to the Find was opened there were problems.

Instead comment these lines
C:\upp\uppsrc\CodeEditor\CodeEditor.cpp(261):
C:\upp\uppsrc\CodeEditor\FindReplace.cpp(252):
C:\upp\uppsrc\RichEdit\Cursor.cpp(94):
C:\upp\uppsrc\RichEdit\Cursor.cpp(328):
C:\upp\uppsrc\RichEdit\Cursor.cpp(347):
C:\upp\uppsrc\RichEdit\Find.cpp(113):

I have not run into any problems yet.

edit: If the find box was not always on top and didn't jump to the bottom center it would be better, at least for some.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 December 2012 17:07]

Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38435 is a reply to message #38433] Sat, 15 December 2012 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi all,

I have a very simple request/idea about the way you can use the help in theIde.

When editing some code, you can easily jump to the library source code, but when in the lib source all you can get is the help about a certain function OR edit the help for that lib (which is not what you want most of the time).

Idea:
When clicking on the 'blue square' a popup menu should appear. It would propose 2 options:
* edit the help
* view the help topic (and thus open the help viewer on the dedicated topic )

[Updated on: Sat, 15 December 2012 17:25]

Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38437 is a reply to message #38435] Sat, 15 December 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Or maybe like how it is done in Eclipse with a list of options or suggestions.
Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38470 is a reply to message #36984] Wed, 19 December 2012 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Android support is a must have, because it's the fastest growing mobile platform.

I believe with NDK you can use C++.

I think Mac OS X is also good to have, because it's part of the 3 big Desktop platforms: Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

U++ is already full-featured as it is. It needs to concentrate on running on more platforms now (Skylark was a huge step in my opinion because web apps run everywhere if a browser is available).

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2012 15:52]

Re: Ideas and priorities for the next development cycle [message #38471 is a reply to message #37177] Wed, 19 December 2012 16:08 Go to previous message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
mirek wrote on Mon, 03 September 2012 13:19

lectus wrote on Mon, 03 September 2012 12:26

Android support is a must have.

This platform is growing too quickly to be ignored.

I agree, unfortunately I have some capacity limits... Smile

Surely, with Rainbow, it should be easy for somebody else to develop Android support...

An alternative and perhaps promising way is to simply use Qt as rainbow backend (same way we are using e.g. Win32) and let it handle platform specific issues. Also note that this is not mutually exclusive Smile

Mirek

There's now Necessitas (Qt for Android). So if you develop a Qt backend for U++ it will probably run on Android through Necessitas.
Previous Topic: Fixing translations
Next Topic: File Operation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:27:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01282 seconds