Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » sch file editor
sch file editor [message #37701] Sun, 04 November 2012 13:26 Go to next message
omari is currently offline  omari
Experienced Member
Hi all,

this is an attempt to create a sch editor.

I hope it is util.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3908&private=0

cordially

omari
  • Attachment: scheditor.png
    (Size: 21.09KB, Downloaded 881 times)

regards
omari.
Re: sch file editor [message #37702 is a reply to message #37701] Sun, 04 November 2012 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
attached the upp package.

regards
omari.
Re: sch file editor [message #37704 is a reply to message #37701] Sun, 04 November 2012 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi omari,

It looks interesting, but I don't quite see how it can help anyone. To use it, you need to have some understanding about .sch files and about SQL in general - I'd say that as much as you'd need to write the .sch file yourself. Maybe one thing that might be good about the editor is that it prevents typos and should always generate valid .sch file, but that can be easily checked by trying to compile it.

Is there anything in particular that led you to write this editor? I'm not trying to say it is useless, I'm just curious, because I usually prefer to write everything manually, without specialized editor Wink

After testing, I have few notes to the program itself:
1) It should allow 0-9 and '_' characters in table and column names, it is valid sql and I use them a lot in my schemas Wink
2) You should add a column for default value, that is very common in my schemas too Wink
3) It fails on parsing errors when loading more complex sch files. Aside from perfecting the parser (I understand it is just first version Smile ), you should wrap the load functionality in try/catch block, so the application doesn't crash when user imports malformed text from file or clipboard. If you want to test, you can try with the watchdog scheme, it fails probably because it contains some macros not yet supported by your editor.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: sch file editor [message #37711 is a reply to message #37704] Sun, 04 November 2012 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

thank you for the test and notes, I'll take them into account.

my goal is to enable rapid creation of sch file with or without knowledge of the .sch file synaxis.

cordially

omari.

regards
omari.
Re: sch file editor [message #37713 is a reply to message #37711] Sun, 04 November 2012 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello omari

It seems to be a good idea. Maybe it could be like the .lay files: you can write them in TheIDE with the layout editor or by hand editing the text.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: sch file editor [message #37716 is a reply to message #37711] Mon, 05 November 2012 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

omari wrote on Sun, 04 November 2012 21:24

my goal is to enable rapid creation of sch file with or without knowledge of the .sch file synaxis.

Well, maybe it would be a good idea then to add a read-only CodeEditor to the application showing a preview of .sch file. It would naturally lead the user to learn the .sch file syntax, if he wants Smile

Honza
Re: sch file editor [message #37733 is a reply to message #37716] Tue, 06 November 2012 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
thanks for all suggestions.

they are included in the current version:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3914&private=0

omari.
  • Attachment: scheditor.png
    (Size: 30.20KB, Downloaded 724 times)

regards
omari.
Re: sch file editor [message #37734 is a reply to message #37733] Tue, 06 November 2012 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
the upp package:

regards
omari.
Re: sch file editor [message #37742 is a reply to message #37734] Wed, 07 November 2012 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi Omari,

Nice idea for learning Sql schema syntax. Should be added to the UPP manual online (ask Mirek, Koldo or Honza).

Biobytes.
Re: sch file editor [message #38398 is a reply to message #37742] Thu, 13 December 2012 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Hi!
I like this idea. Writing .SCH manually can be tedious.

But as I said in another thread it might be more interesting to write a plugin/script for MySql WorkBench, it's a UML modeler.

You can design the database visually and then export to .SCH.

Just an idea.

PS: I'm testing your tool and I like it.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 December 2012 21:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: sch file editor [message #38402 is a reply to message #38398] Fri, 14 December 2012 09:44 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Hi lectus,
Quote:

But as I said in another thread it might be more interesting to write a plugin/script for MySql WorkBench, it's a UML modeler.

You can design the database visually and then export to .SCH.

I have started adding DbDesignerFork model import.
I'll post it in a couple of days.

Regars,
omari.

regards
omari.
Previous Topic: Nonsense code in compiling output messages
Next Topic: Insert iml include typo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:27:12 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01004 seconds