Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What's the best virtualization software for development?
What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #37997] Tue, 27 November 2012 15:29 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
I use Virtualbox a lot to test Linux distros.

But some people say VMWARE Player (also free for personal use) has better performance.

What would be the best one for running multiple OSes and building U++ software? What's your experience?

It seems VirtualBox has snapshots in the free version, while VMWARE (free version) doesn't have it. It's a cool feature to freeze the state of the machine and restore it in case something breaks.
Re: What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #38000 is a reply to message #37997] Tue, 27 November 2012 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Lectus

I used VirtualBox under XP for running Ubuntu. All U++ sources where in c: in a folder shared to the virtual machine so it was possible to compile U++ in Windows and the same set of sources in Linux.

As it was getting slower and slower I tried VMWare Player about 6 months ago. U++ compiling in the same conditions was much faster. In addition VMWare Player lets you create new virtual machines from an ISO file and you can suspend them so you can freeze VM status.

So my vote is for VMWare.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #38007 is a reply to message #37997] Wed, 28 November 2012 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

I've been using VirtualBox in past and it wasn't bad, but I prefer working directly. If you want to use simple virtualization on Linux machine, I might recommend openVZ - not a classical virtualization, it is more of a container approach, but it is good enough if you just need it to be able to snapshot working states of your machine or to make a clean one from time to time.

Honza
Re: What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #38009 is a reply to message #37997] Wed, 28 November 2012 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lectus wrote on Tue, 27 November 2012 09:29

I use Virtualbox a lot to test Linux distros.

But some people say VMWARE Player (also free for personal use) has better performance.

What would be the best one for running multiple OSes and building U++ software? What's your experience?

I am using VMWARE player because I had strange issues with VirtualBox - e.g. it was strangely slowing down to the point of freeze during compilation. Nothing like that experienced with VMWARE...

Mirek
Re: What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #38538 is a reply to message #37997] Sat, 22 December 2012 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

A good and easy solution is Proxmox. And it's open source (GPL) !
Re: What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #38539 is a reply to message #38538] Sat, 22 December 2012 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

jibe wrote on Sat, 22 December 2012 15:17

Hi,

A good and easy solution is Proxmox. And it's open source (GPL) !

Actually, Proxmox is just a nice-looking wrapper around OpenVZ and KVM Smile It could be useful, but it is definitely far from what OP asked about - Proxmox doesn't run from Windows, it is basically a linux distro (so you'd have to virtualize windows in it).

Honza
Re: What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #38540 is a reply to message #37997] Sat, 22 December 2012 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Yes, it's true...

But I didn't understand that he wants something running under Windows... He can install proxmox, then install Windows in one VM and test his linux distribs in others VM.

It's another way to do that could be interresting, but it's true that if he absolutly wants something running under windows, proxmox is not a solution !
Re: What's the best virtualization software for development? [message #38541 is a reply to message #38540] Sat, 22 December 2012 19:49 Go to previous message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
I tried VirtualBox and problems and it was very slow.

I tried VMware and it seems to work good with an Ububtu 12.10 guest, Win7 host.

I have had a problem the last few days and it may be from opening a post originating from China on another forum so have been trying to find the problem as it locked the computer several times.

The latest I checked in TaskManager was Networking. One thing I noticed is "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1" and "... VMnet8"
There is no traffic but it seems strange as VMware is not running.

Is this normal?

If not I could try installing VMware on removable media like an SD card but it would be slower. VMware doest't seem to have anything to do with the bug as it ran good for maybe a week without a problem.
Previous Topic: Proof of concept: running Tcl scripts in Skylark
Next Topic: Why do you use U++?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:21:26 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01504 seconds