FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ SQL » Doubts on a sqlite query
Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38612] Sat, 29 December 2012 08:53 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I have two tables, TEAMS with 120 records and PLAYERS with 600 records. Each team contains 5 players. After a sort I need to update a field of TEAMS and another of PLAYERS. Both fields are called N. To perform this task I use the following procedure
void vegadb::SetPairingNumbers(int n, int arr_N[], Vector<int> ids)
{ 	int i, id, idp, np=1;
	Sql sqlteam(sqliteVT);
	Sql sqlplayer(sqliteVT);
	Sql sqlp(sqliteVT);

for(i=0; i<n; i++) {
 	    id = arr_N[i];
	    sqlteam.Execute("update TEAMS set N=? where ID=?", i+1, ids[i]); 
            sqlplayer.Execute("SELECT ID FROM PLAYERS WHERE TEAM_ID=? ORDER BY BOARD ASC", id); //retrieve players of team id by boards
	    while (sqlplayer.Fetch()) {
			idp = (int) (sqlplayer[0]);
		        sqlp.Execute("update PLAYERS set N=? where ID=?", np++, idp); //set pairing number to the player idp
	    }      
	}
}

It works as expected. The problem is that it requires about 25 seconds on my notebook (intel celeron 1.70 GHz, 1Gb ram). It is not a monster machine but the number of records to be processed is not huge. Because I have not experience with sqlite I would like to know if this delay time is normal or maybe there is a faster way to write the query.

Thanks,
Luigi
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38613 is a reply to message #38612] Sat, 29 December 2012 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Luigi,

The 25 seconds for few simple queries sounds awfully wrong. Have you tried to figure out what exactly takes so long there? Putting TIMING macros to each of the Execute() calls could tell you something:
 	for(i=0; i<n; i++) {
 	    id = arr_N[i];
	    { TIMING("team-update"); sqlteam.Execute("update TEAMS set N=? where ID=?", i+1, ids[i]); }
            { TIMING("player-select"); sqlplayer.Execute("SELECT ID FROM PLAYERS WHERE TEAM_ID=? ORDER BY BOARD ASC", id); }//retrieve players of team id by boards
		        TIMING("player-update"); sqlp.Execute("update PLAYERS set N=? where ID=?", np++, idp); //set pairing number to the player idp
	    }      
	}

One trick that might make it faster is to execute it all in single query, using a long case construct. The query would look something like this:
update PLAYERS 
set N=case ID
  when 1 then 23
  when 2 then 42
  when 600 then 123
It'll be a long (and ugly Smile ) query, but it could be faster then 600 small ones. Similar thing can be done for teams too.

Also, are you using indexes on your tables? They can make a lot of difference.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38614 is a reply to message #38613] Sat, 29 December 2012 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi Honza,

thank you very much for the anwer. These were the guilty tables

TABLE_(TEAMS)
	INT     (ID) PRIMARY_KEY AUTO_INCREMENT 
	INT_    (N) 
	STRING_ (NAMET, 30)
	STRING_ (ORIG, 30)
	STRING_ (REGION, 30)
	STRING_ (FED, 3) 
	INT_    (RTG)
	INT_    (STATUS) 
END_TABLE

TABLE_(PLAYERS)
	INT     (ID) PRIMARY_KEY AUTO_INCREMENT
	INT_    (TEAM_ID) INDEX
	INT_    (BOARD) 
	INT     (N) 
	STRING  (NAME, 30)
	STRING  (FED, 30)
	STRING_ (BDAY, 10)
	STRING_ (SEX, 1) 
	STRING_ (CAT, 5) 
	INT_    (IDFIDE) 
	INT_    (RTGFIDE) 
	STRING_ (IDNAT,10) 
	INT_    (RTGNAT) 
	INT_    (K)
END_TABLE

I have now added an index to TEAM_ID. I do not know if the index is created while the database is populated or even later. I hope it has been created with this code when I opened the existing DB

void vegadb::SetDatabase(String dbname)
{
    if (sqliteVT.IsOpen()) sqliteVT.Close();
    if (!FileExists(dbname)) {
		if(!sqliteVT.Open( dbname )) {
			Exclamation("Can't create or open database file");
			return;
		}
		SQL = sqliteVT;
//		sqliteVT.SetTrace();
		SqlSchema sch(SQLITE3);
		All_Tables(sch);
		Sqlite3PerformScript(sch.Upgrade());
		Sqlite3PerformScript(sch.Attributes());  
	}
	else {
		if(!sqliteVT.Open( dbname )) {
			Exclamation("Can't create or open database file");
			return;
		}
		SQL = sqliteVT;
//		sqliteVT.SetTrace();
		SqlSchema sch(SQLITE3);
	}
	SQL.ClearError();
}

Anyway I have not seen any improvement.
I used TIMING

TIMING players-update : 44.66 s - 57.33 ms (44.66 s / 779 ), min: 32.00 ms, max: 698.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 779
TIMING player-select : 44.78 s - 285.22 ms (44.78 s / 157 ), min: 134.00 ms, max: 844.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157
TIMING team-update : 53.32 s - 339.64 ms (53.32 s / 157 ), min: 167.00 ms, max: 910.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157

to discover I have understimated the delay Smile . The teams are 157 and players 779 but it looks wrong too. The players-update query seems to have problems. I'll try to understand what can be although at moment I do not see error.

Regards,
Luigi

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2012 13:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38615 is a reply to message #38614] Sat, 29 December 2012 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

forlano wrote on Sat, 29 December 2012 13:21

I have now added an index to TEAM_ID. I do not know if the index is created while the database is populated or even later. I hope it has been created with this code when I opened the existing DB
I believe the sch.Upgrade() should create the index just fine. The index is normally created when it is added to the table and it is updated with each change to the contents of the table.

forlano wrote on Sat, 29 December 2012 13:21

The players-update query seems to have problems. I'll try to understand what can be although at moment I do not see error.
It actually seems to me that players-update is the best performing one out of those three Smile It takes only 57 ms per call. Could you try to do it in fewer queries using CASE as I described above? The code should look something like this (not tested):
	String teams = "update TEAMS set N = case ID";
	for(i=0; i<n; i++) {
		teams += Format(" when %i then %i", ids[i], i+1);
		{TIMING("player-select"); sqlplayer.Execute("SELECT ID FROM PLAYERS WHERE TEAM_ID=? ORDER BY BOARD ASC", arr_N[i]);}
		String players = "update PLAYERS set N = case ID";
			players += Format(" when %i then %i", idp, np++);
		}
		{TIMING("players-update"); sqlp.Execute(players); }
	}
	{TIMING("teams"); sqlteam.Execute(teams);}
It should lower the query count to 157+157+1. I'm really curious if it cuts down the overall time significantly or not Smile

Honza
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38616 is a reply to message #38615] Sat, 29 December 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:

It actually seems to me that players-update is the best performing one out of those three Smile

This shows how deep is my understanding of the subject Laughing

Quote:

It should lower the query count to 157+157+1. I'm really curious if it cuts down the overall time significantly or not Smile

You are welcome. I've just copied and paste to get

TIMING teams : 0.00 ns - 0.00 ns ( 0.00 ns / 1 ), min: 0.00 ns, max: 0.00 ns, nesting: 1 - 1
TIMING players-update : 9.97 ms - 63.51 us (10.00 ms / 157 ), min: 0.00 ns, max: 1.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157
TIMING player-select : 29.97 ms - 190.90 us (30.00 ms / 157 ), min: 0.00 ns, max: 1.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157

Surprised Very Happy Now it takes an instant instead of 46 seconds
I discovered there is another bottleneck in my code. I am going to remove with your excellent tecnique!

Thanks a lot and Happy New Year!!!
Luigi

Edit: just now I checked better and I discovered that the query do nothing Smile ... there should be some syntax error in the query somewhere... investigating

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2012 16:56]

Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38617 is a reply to message #38616] Sat, 29 December 2012 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

forlano wrote on Sat, 29 December 2012 15:35

Edit: just now I checked better and I discovered that the query do nothing Smile ... there should be some syntax error in the query somewhere... investigating

Exactly what I thought when I saw that the times are so much faster now, "That looks to good to be true" Very Happy I probably made som mistake in the code or there is something I missed about sqlite syntax, I'm no expert either Wink

You should probably check the queries. Some time ago in another thread, I posted a very simple sqlite console written in U++. You can use that or some other tools (e.g. sqlitebrowser or sqliteman) to inspect the contents of the database and to easily test the queries.

Honza

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2012 17:47]

Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38618 is a reply to message #38617] Sat, 29 December 2012 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Good news. This works as expected (I got the hint here )

String teams = "update TEAMS set N = case ";
	for(i=0; i<n; i++) {
		teams += Format(" when ID=%i then %i", ids[i], i+1 );
		{TIMING("player-select"); sqlplayer.Execute("SELECT ID FROM PLAYERS WHERE TEAM_ID=? ORDER BY BOARD ASC", arr_N[i]); }
		String players = "update PLAYERS set N = case ";
			players += Format(" when ID=%i then %i", idp, np++);
		}
		players += " else N end ";
	}
	teams += " else N end ";
	{TIMING("teams");sqlteam.Execute(teams);}

with timing

TIMING teams : 56.00 ms - 56.00 ms (56.00 ms / 1 ), min: 56.00 ms, max: 56.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 1
TIMING players-update : 21.90 s - 139.46 ms (21.90 s / 157 ), min: 46.00 ms, max: 646.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157
TIMING player-select : 177.97 ms - 1.13 ms (178.00 ms / 157 ), min: 0.00 ns, max: 2.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157

Much better but still too high. Anyway I saw the things can improve rearranging the query. I'll think about it.

Thanks again,
Luigi
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38619 is a reply to message #38612] Sat, 29 December 2012 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Wow! I learn a lot in this forum.

I didn't know about TIMING macro. Very useful.

Also I didn't know about UPDATE using CASE.
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38620 is a reply to message #38618] Sat, 29 December 2012 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

forlano wrote on Sat, 29 December 2012 21:27

TIMING teams : 56.00 ms - 56.00 ms (56.00 ms / 1 ), min: 56.00 ms, max: 56.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 1
TIMING players-update : 21.90 s - 139.46 ms (21.90 s / 157 ), min: 46.00 ms, max: 646.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157
TIMING player-select : 177.97 ms - 1.13 ms (178.00 ms / 157 ), min: 0.00 ns, max: 2.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157

Much better but still too high. Anyway I saw the things can improve rearranging the query. I'll think about it.

Thats great, so the last problematic thing is the players update... Let's take it a step further and try to set all the players at once. This should work (unless I made some stupid mistake again Smile ):
	String teams = "update TEAMS set N = case ";
	String players = "update PLAYERS set N = case ";
	for(i=0; i<n; i++) {
		teams += Format(" when ID=%i then %i", ids[i], i+1 );
		{TIMING("player-select"); sqlplayer.Execute("SELECT ID FROM PLAYERS WHERE TEAM_ID=? ORDER BY BOARD ASC", arr_N[i]); }
			players += Format(" when ID=%i then %i", idp, np++);
		}
	}
	players += " else N end ";
	teams += " else N end ";
	{TIMING("teams");sqlteam.Execute(teams);}

That should bring it to usable speeds, my guess is under half a second Wink

Honza
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38621 is a reply to message #38620] Sun, 30 December 2012 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 29 December 2012 22:40

That should bring it to usable speeds, my guess is under half a second Wink

Honza

Thats is two times great!

TIMING teams : 55.00 ms - 55.00 ms (55.00 ms / 1 ), min: 55.00 ms, max: 55.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 1
TIMING players-update : 168.00 ms - 168.00 ms (168.00 ms / 1 ), min: 168.00 ms, max: 168.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 1
TIMING player-select : 123.98 ms - 789.65 us (124.00 ms / 157 ), min: 0.00 ns, max: 2.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 157

Two steps and each saved 25 seconds. Not bad! Very Happy
Now I can devote my attention to the other horrible queries that still pollute my code.

Many, many thanks!
Luigi
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38622 is a reply to message #38621] Sun, 30 December 2012 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Here is another achievement. The Honza's tecnique applied to insert. It is not trivial as the sqlite syntax is different by that of mysql (this costed me a hour of time to figure out the problem). See here for details :

Original query (26 seconds)
  for (i=0; i<pairs.GetCount(); i++) {
      for (int j=0; j<TD.MaxBoards+2; j++) {t1[j]=0; t2[j]=0;}
      idw = pairs[i].idw;
      idb = pairs[i].idb;
      played =1; //regular game (default)
      if (idb==0 || idw==0) played = 0; //byed game       
	  {RTIMING("save-team"); SQL.Execute("INSERT INTO TEAMROUND (ROUND,BOARD,NW,NB, PLAYED) VALUES(?,?,?,?, ?)", round, i+1, idw, idb, played); }
      Team& team1 = VTeam.Get( idw );
      Team& team2 = VTeam.Get( idb );   
      if (idw) team1.GetPlayerTeam(t1); //get the white players
      if (idb) team2.GetPlayerTeam(t2); //get the white players
      int idTEAMROUND = SQL.GetInsertedId();   
      //save the player pairing
      for (b=1; b<=TD.NBoards; b++) {                
          gameplayed =1; //regular game (default)
          if (t2[b]==0 || t1[b]==0) gameplayed = 0; //byed game       
	      {RTIMING("save-player"); SQL.Execute("INSERT INTO PLAYERROUND (TEAMROUND_ID, ROUND,BOARD,NW,NB,PLAYED) VALUES(?,?,?,?,?, ?)", 
	      				idTEAMROUND, round, b, t1[b], t2[b], gameplayed); }
      }     
  }

New version (5 seconds)
  String teamround = "INSERT INTO PLAYERROUND (TEAMROUND_ID, ROUND,BOARD,NW,NB,PLAYED) select 0 as TEAMROUND_ID, 0 as ROUND, 0 as BOARD, 0 as NW, 0 as NB,0 as PLAYED ";
  int npair = pairs.GetCount();  
  for (i=0; i<pairs.GetCount(); i++) {
      for (int j=0; j<TD.MaxBoards+2; j++) {t1[j]=0; t2[j]=0;}
      idw = pairs[i].idw;
      idb = pairs[i].idb;
      played =1; //regular game (default)
      if (idb==0 || idw==0) played = 0; //byed game       
	  SQL.Execute("INSERT INTO TEAMROUND (ROUND,BOARD,NW,NB, PLAYED) VALUES(?,?,?,?, ?)", round, i+1, idw, idb, played);
      Team& team1 = VTeam.Get( idw );
      Team& team2 = VTeam.Get( idb );   
      if (idw) team1.GetPlayerTeam(t1); //get the white players
      if (idb) team2.GetPlayerTeam(t2); //get the white players
      //save the player pairing
      for (b=1; b<=TD.NBoards; b++) {                
          gameplayed =1; //regular game (default)
          if (t2[b]==0 || t1[b]==0) gameplayed = 0; //byed game       	      				
	  teamround += Format("UNION SELECT %d,%d,%d,%d,%d,%d ", idTEAMROUND, round, b, t1[b], t2[b], gameplayed); 
      }     
  }
  SQL.Execute(teamround);

Perhaps the previous ugly query stored in teamround string can be simplified with the U++ syntax... if one knows how to do.

Regards,
Luigi
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38623 is a reply to message #38622] Sun, 30 December 2012 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Interesting, I didn't know that you have to do such tricks for multirow inserts in sqlite Smile

For the last piece of code you posted: You probably want the inserting into TEAMROUND to be done in single query too. You now know how, so it should be easy. Also about the "U++ syntax" for sql: It looks better, it takes care of type control, escaping etc. so it is safer, but sometimes it is a pain to do complicated queries in it... I think for example multirow insert would be quite hard to achieve using SqlInsert.

Anyway, the moral of this story is: Sqlite is fast, but only for read queries (selects). The write queries (insert, update) have a big overhead, so many small queries take a long time. Therefore, concatenating them into single long query can save orders of magnitude of time.

This is to some degree true for any database, e.g. for MySql you want to minimize the number of queries too, because connecting to the server can be costly operation. But I admit I didn't know that this applies to sqlite and that it is so bad that couple queries can render the application unusable Smile

Honza
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38624 is a reply to message #38623] Sun, 30 December 2012 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Sun, 30 December 2012 09:44

For the last piece of code you posted: You probably want the inserting into TEAMROUND to be done in single query too. You now know how, so it should be easy.

I tried but I am afraid this time it can't be done. In fact I am iserting in two tables (TEAMROUND and PLAYERROUND) and in the second one I need the 'id' of the record just inserted in the first table that is unknown before of query (or maybe yes Rolling Eyes ). So, after the query I get it by
and then use it later in the final query.

Regards,
Luigi
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38625 is a reply to message #38624] Sun, 30 December 2012 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Oups, I overlooked that Smile

You could in theory get around that limitation too, but it depends on the exact logic of your application, which I don't know Smile The basic idea would be to use some other unique combination of columns (ROUND + BOARD perhaps?) to find the correct row instead of the autoincremented ID. If there is such unique combination of columns, you could then construct the query all at once and don't care about the IDs at all.

Honza
Re: Doubts on a sqlite query [message #38626 is a reply to message #38625] Sun, 30 December 2012 15:20 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Sun, 30 December 2012 14:22

Oups, I overlooked that Smile

You could in theory get around that limitation too, but it depends on the exact logic of your application, which I don't know Smile The basic idea would be to use some other unique combination of columns (ROUND + BOARD perhaps?) to find the correct row instead of the autoincremented ID. If there is such unique combination of columns, you could then construct the query all at once and don't care about the IDs at all.

Honza

That is a very good idea! I must study carefull if it backfires (the board can be changed...).

Luigi
Previous Topic: Use ctrls in another tab as detail problem
Next Topic: Can U++ communicate with a MSACCESS database?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:19:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02946 seconds