FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Open Build Service
Open Build Service [message #39190] Mon, 25 February 2013 18:11 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone Smile

Over the weekend, I was playing with openSUSE's open build service. It is a public instance of the Open Build Service (OBS) used mainly for development of the openSUSE distribution but can be also used to offer packages from same source for Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch Linux and other distributions. I just tried to quickly build the Ubuntu and Archlinux packages using OBS and it turns out it is quite simple and straightforward. It has a nice command line client as well as web interface.

Now, after these initial experiments, I'm really tempted to port all our packaging to OBS and I'm also quite sure that it is possible to accomplish in just a couple days. There is couple things that I consider good reasons to make a switch:

• All distros managed in one place, all rebuilds trigerred by single update
  • Builds binary packages for all supported distributions
  • Automatically creates and hosts repositories for the packages
  • Command line client allows easy scripting
  • OBS is opensource, so if openSUSE ever shuts their instance, we can just install it on our own machines and continue using it.

For those unfamiliar with current situation around packaging:
Ubuntu packages are built and hosted using Launchpad.
Debian packages are built on my notebook and then uploaded to ftp donated by orine.
Archlinux currently only has PKGBUILDS in AUR (arch user repository), no binary packages.
Fedora packages are built only for release versions, in past there have been also Mandriva and openSUSE rpms.

So, here finally comes why I write all this here... From what I've seen so far, the OBS looks just too perfect Smile I've noticed only couple minor problems, but nothing that could not be solved rather easily. So before I start diving deeper into this, my question is: Is there anyone familiar with OBS? I hope someone with more experiences about this could give me some more input... Also, I'm interested in the opinions of whose of you who are using rpm based distros (Mandriva,Fedora,openSUSE,...) and Archlinux: Would use the binary packages for release and/or nightly builds?

Best regards,
Honza

PS: Here is a list of all target distributions supported by OBS.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 February 2013 18:46]

Report message to a moderator

Open Build Service - now with automatic installer script [message #39239 is a reply to message #39190] Sun, 03 March 2013 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Well, I couldn't resist - managing packages in OBS is so simple that it only took me a day to get it all up and working Smile And most of this one day of work I spent trying to write a short, simple "installer script" that would set up the repositories and install packages on users machines. The original intention didn't work out very well - the script is not short at all, nor simple Very Happy But it works, at least on Arch, and Debian where I tested it (Ubuntu testers are welcome Wink ). The supported distributions are Arch Linux, Debian 6 (squeeze aka stable) and Ubuntu 11.04-12.10 (that is Natty, Oneiric, Precise and Quantal).

So if you want to try, the script is attached. You just need to download it and execute in shell, e.g.:
sh ~/Downloads/installer.sh

It will guide you through the process of adding the OBS repositories to your package manager, adding keys to verify the packages, then it will let you select which packages to install and finally launches TheIDE (if installed) to run the per user configuration dialog that appears on first launch. Let me know if you like it (or if you don't Wink ).

Now, why I did all this... The advantages of OBS were already mentioned. There are also some disadvantages,the biggest I see are:
  • Less supported versions (in Launchpad we build also for Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.11, Debian could be built for wheeze and sid as well).
  • Source repositories (deb-src) are not supported
I want to evaluate how it works, if it is possible and desirable to make a switch from the kludgy way it is currently done. So I consider this an open beta testing Smile I'll be glad for any feedback on this.

Best regards,
Honza
  • Attachment: installer.sh
    (Size: 10.81KB, Downloaded 370 times)
Re: Open Build Service - now with automatic installer script [message #39244 is a reply to message #39239] Mon, 04 March 2013 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Honza,

Thank you very very much for your efforts. I've just run the script without any problems on my ArchLinux installed machine, it configured pacman and dowloaded the latest theide-nogtk-5876-1 daily build (binaries) successfully. Everything is working fine. Imo, this seems a better way to install U++ binaries on archlinux. AUR is good too but having compiled binaries is what I prefer. Since I use daily build (check it weekly, actually), you can be sure that I will inform you of any package problems on Archlinux side. Keep up the good work! Smile

Regards.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 March 2013 00:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Open Build Service - now with automatic installer script [message #40567 is a reply to message #39244] Fri, 16 August 2013 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Interesting. So OBS provides a build system for all distros? Is this right?

BTW... Mandriva is old news. The community supported distro is now Mageia (currently 4th in popularity in distrowatch).
Re: Open Build Service - now with automatic installer script [message #40568 is a reply to message #40567] Fri, 16 August 2013 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

lectus wrote on Fri, 16 August 2013 03:34

Interesting. So OBS provides a build system for all distros? Is this right?

Not all of them Smile Just (Open)SUSE, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat and Mandriva. Full list here.

lectus wrote on Fri, 16 August 2013 03:34

BTW... Mandriva is old news. The community supported distro is now Mageia (currently 4th in popularity in distrowatch).

I am aware of that, but that change somehow wasn't reflected in OBS Smile It is in theory possible to run your own instance of OBS and use it for other distros too, especially those using deb and rpm formats should be easy to add. You'd justhave to also supply your own build farm as well Wink

Honza
Re: Open Build Service - now with automatic installer script [message #40570 is a reply to message #40568] Fri, 16 August 2013 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it easier to just build packages for Ubuntu and then use alien to convert to rpm?

Have you tried that?

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/11/alien-command-examples/

I don't know if it works well. They say alien is experimental. But it's worth a try.
Re: Open Build Service [message #40571 is a reply to message #39190] Fri, 16 August 2013 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But anyway, this is a good effort.

We really need centralized way building U++ for different distributions.

Talking about OpenSUSE, I tested it on Virtualbox. Very polished distro. Might consider switching after U++ fully supports it through OBS.
Re: Open Build Service [message #40587 is a reply to message #39190] Mon, 19 August 2013 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

While looking at OBS yesterday, I noticed there are some new distro versions available, so I enabled build for those that we currently support: Debian 7.0, newer Ubuntus.

So the full list of existing packages is now:
Arch Linux
Debian 6.0 (squeeze)
Debian 7.0 (wheezy)
Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)
Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin)
Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal)
Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)

Everything should be available both for x86 and adm64 architectures, in nightly and stable versions. If you decide to try any of the new ones, bug reports are welcome Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Open Build Service [message #41253 is a reply to message #39190] Thu, 21 November 2013 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any progress with this?
Re: Open Build Service [message #41266 is a reply to message #41253] Thu, 21 November 2013 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

lectus wrote on Thu, 21 November 2013 01:54

Any progress with this?

Not much, I have very little time lately... Sad It all kind of works, but I have to move it to some machine running 24/7 to allow periodic builds. Right now, I have to manually trigger rebuilds, which as you can imagine is not very reliable Smile

Honza
Re: Open Build Service [message #41270 is a reply to message #41266] Fri, 22 November 2013 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 21 November 2013 04:58

lectus wrote on Thu, 21 November 2013 01:54

Any progress with this?

Not much, I have very little time lately... Sad It all kind of works, but I have to move it to some machine running 24/7 to allow periodic builds. Right now, I have to manually trigger rebuilds, which as you can imagine is not very reliable Smile

Honza

Do you know how to build U++ on Mageia?

I've been wanting to try this distro on one of my machines. But I'm not very knowledgable on how to build U++ on Mageia (previously Mandriva).

Mageia looks like a fast KDE implementation. That caught my attention for lower end machines.
Re: Open Build Service [message #41271 is a reply to message #41270] Fri, 22 November 2013 07:13 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

lectus wrote on Fri, 22 November 2013 02:23

Do you know how to build U++ on Mageia?

I've been wanting to try this distro on one of my machines. But I'm not very knowledgable on how to build U++ on Mageia (previously Mandriva).

Mageia looks like a fast KDE implementation. That caught my attention for lower end machines.

You can build it from source, that should work on Mageia as well as on any other distribution. There were also some attempts to package U++ in rpm packages in past (mostly for stable releases), but I'm not familliar enough with the rpm based distros to help you do that with more recent sources...

Honza
Previous Topic: Compiling 32-bit on 64-bit Linux
Next Topic: help libcurl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:32:14 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01616 seconds