FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Troubles compiling code with -fPIC
Troubles compiling code with -fPIC [message #40190] Sun, 30 June 2013 21:38 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've hit a problem when trying to compile a shared library using U++ with -fPIC switch:
/home/h/upp-production/uppsrc/Core/Cpu.cpp: In function 'void Upp::sCheckCPU()':
/home/h/upp-production/uppsrc/Core/Cpu.cpp:40:84: error: PIC register clobbered by '%ebx' in 'asm'
  __asm__("movl $1, %%eax\n\tcpuid" : "=d" (info1), "=c" (info2) : : "%eax", "%ebx");

As the error message says, the problem is caused by changing a value of ebx register. After a little googling, I found that the widely used fix in this situation is to store the value of ebx before calling cpuid instruction and restore it afterwards. When I looked into the code of SCheckCpu() to do that, to my great surprise I found the code was already there, just commented out Smile

So my question is, does anyone remember if there was some valid reason to comment this line out? If not, I propose to start using it:
Index: /home/h/upp-production/uppsrc/Core/Cpu.cpp
===================================================================
--- /home/h/upp-production/uppsrc/Core/Cpu.cpp  (revision 6151)
+++ /home/h/upp-production/uppsrc/Core/Cpu.cpp  (working copy)
@@ -15,7 +15,6 @@
        if(done) return;
        done = true;
 #ifdef PLATFORM_OSX11
-//     __asm__("pushl %%ebx\n\tmovl $1, %%eax\n\tcpuid\n\tpopl %%ebx" : "=d" (info1), "=c" (info2) : : "%eax");
        sHasMMX = true;
        sHasSSE = true;
        sHasSSE2 = true;
@@ -37,7 +36,7 @@
 #else
        dword info1;
        dword info2;
-       __asm__("movl $1, %%eax\n\tcpuid" : "=d" (info1), "=c" (info2) : : "%eax", "%ebx");
+       __asm__("pushl %%ebx\n\tmovl $1, %%eax\n\tcpuid\n\tpopl %%ebx" : "=d" (info1), "=c" (info2) : : "%eax");
 #endif
        sHasMMX = ((info1 >> 23) & 0x1);
        sHasSSE = ((info1 >> 25) & 0x1);

With this patch my code compiles and I noticed no difference for other programs.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Troubles compiling code with -fPIC [message #40191 is a reply to message #40190] Mon, 01 July 2013 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
This really weird. Not when it was commented out, but my guess is it is commented out since the beginning:

The part of code is for MacOS X, X11 subsystem. Macs always have CPUs that support MMX/SSE/SSE2, so there is no point to call assembler to find out... so all assembly code is #ifdefed out... I doubt that adding some back is the cause of -fPIC problems...

Mirek
Re: Troubles compiling code with -fPIC [message #40192 is a reply to message #40191] Mon, 01 July 2013 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Ah, now I see - patch moves that line too. Applied.
Re: Troubles compiling code with -fPIC [message #40193 is a reply to message #40192] Mon, 01 July 2013 12:15 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Mon, 01 July 2013 08:49

Ah, now I see - patch moves that line too. Applied.

Yes, I deleted it from Mac and used it for i386... Sorry for confusion and thanks for applying the patch.

Honza
Previous Topic: Vector performance on a specific situation
Next Topic: SetSysTime() or SetUtcTime()
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:19:32 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03194 seconds