Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Multiple configuration files with TheIDE
Multiple configuration files with TheIDE [message #40443] Thu, 01 August 2013 20:48 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
It would be useful to allow TheIDE to serialize settings into different files. That would allow one to use TheIDE installed on laptop with different sets of monitors.

Path to the current configuration file can be set up via GUI or command line.

I think a lot of laptop users would benefit from this feature.

TIA

Regards,
Novo
Re: Multiple configuration files with TheIDE [message #40444 is a reply to message #40443] Thu, 01 August 2013 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Novo,

If you're on Linux, you can simply achieve this with zero lines of code Smile All you need to do is to create a symlink to theide binary with different name, e.g.
ln -s /usr/bin/theide /usr/bin/theide-laptop
This way, theide started through the symlink will think the application name is theide-laptop and will store configuration to ~/.upp/theide-laptop/ instead of the usual path. So you get two completely separate sets of configuration.

The downside could be that buildmethods, assemblies and other configuration would be split too, but that can be fixed by hardlinking one to the other if desired (I think symlink wouldn't work in this case, as theide overwrites the file, but I might be wrong).

I successfully use this trick to keep a clean configuration for testing purposes...

On windows, similar thing can probably be done, but I never tried and I don't really remember the perks of windows filesystems anymore Smile

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Multiple configuration files with TheIDE [message #40445 is a reply to message #40444] Thu, 01 August 2013 22:26 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Hi Honza,

Thanks for the idea with links! I my case I need to make a link for ~/.upp/theide/theide.cfg (or for ~/.upp/ide/ide.cfg because I always use TheIDE built from source code).

AFAIK, there should be a way to create links in Windows.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: Check all files when updating
Next Topic: [BUG & Patch] TheIDE under POSIX dosen't open directories containing spaces.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:34:22 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02225 seconds