Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » GDB_MI2 debugger fixes
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #41984 is a reply to message #41981] Sun, 09 February 2014 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
klugier wrote on Sun, 09 February 2014 17:20

Hello Massimo,

Quote:

Are you SURE that you're running THIS build and not another, installed one on your system ???

It seems that gtk backend on KDE cause this issue. When I switch to X11 debug mode closes correctly.

So this is definitly not Gdb_MI2 issue.

Quote:

I've just tested your build, but here it works perfectly.
No lags switching panes (I don't know what do you mean with "while debugging", panes are not there when debugger is not running....) and on application exit the debugger terminates correctly.

How to reproduce?
1. Start debugging.
2. Back to IDE.
3. Try to switch between following panes: Autos, Locals, Watches and Explorer. (Debug mode)
4. Now, you can stop debugging.

Sincerely,
Klugier

I can confirm this. I am also working on KDE 4.12 (latest Upp SVN 6888). When working with TheIDE on GTK+ backend, sometimes debug mode (GDB_MI2) does not quit. Panes stays where they are.
Also,
1) Is the disasm removed from the new GDB_MI2 interface, because the right pane where a disassembler should be, is almost empty (Shows only stack pointer, etc.) ? It only works with the legacy gdb interface.
2) There is no yellow pointer arrow (which shows the current position) on breakpoints with the new interface. Is it removed too? If so, it makes debugging a lot harder, since I have to rely on intuition.

Other than these, it seems really improved, thanks for your work!
Regards.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 February 2014 18:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #41985 is a reply to message #41984] Sun, 09 February 2014 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Hi Oblivion,

I'm still working on some other gdb improvements... but I've got none of the problem you're having.
In gnome, gtk backend, all is working perfectly, the disasm pane too.

Just wait that I'm finshed with current development, then I'll try to look at your problems.
In the meanwhile, if you can find the cause you're wellcome.

Ciao

Max
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #41986 is a reply to message #41985] Sun, 09 February 2014 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hi Massimo,

On Ubuntu 13.10 GDB_MI2 works perfect (I have tested with VirtualBox).

But on all my KDE machines debugging has got "lag panes" issue.

Massimo can you test IDE on Kubuntu or other KDE distribution via for example VirtualBox?

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 February 2014 19:55]

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #41987 is a reply to message #41985] Mon, 10 February 2014 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Massimo,

I dug through the TheIDE's code and found the main reason behind the two problems I've mentioned above.
Both problems seem to be a result of a localization/internationalization issue.

You see, My upp dir is under a directory which has some Turkish letters in its name. Both Gdb_MI2::SyncIde() and Gdb_MI2::SyncDisas() methods call the MICmd() method to fill MIValue structures, which seem to have a "file" (tuple?) member in it. But calling the MICmd() method returns a file path and if that path has non-ascii characters, it converts them to a number value (utf or unicode?).

Please find the attached screenshot, which I believe can explain the problem better. In the screenshot, as you will see, because the path doesn't actually exist (the path should not be ".../Geli305237tirme/Ultimate++/...", theide does not call disas.Add().

If I move the Ultimate++ directory under, say, /home/user/ directory everything works fine.

Shouldn't these "localized path" issues be taken care of by theide? Or is this a GDB issue?

(After more investigation: It seems that this is a gdb issue. Gdb uses the numeric representations of non-ascii characters in paths.)

Regards.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2014 01:50]

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #41993 is a reply to message #41987] Mon, 10 February 2014 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hi Oblivion,

this is quite weird.... but I stumbled on a problem with gdb and localization too. It returns (normally, without a prettyprinter python code for it...) decimal number localized, so with ',' instead of '.' in italian, which made parsing of expression data almost impossible.
As I don't use special characters in my filenames I've never seen your problem.
I'll test it when finished with my 'this' explorer pane, probably in a couple of days.

p.s.: the MIValue is a kind of value class that is able to parse and hold gdb data responses. 'tuple' is the equivalent (almost...) of python tuples : { a b }, nothing to do with localization. Probably the problem is inside path handling.

Klugier, about your 'lag' problems, I'll see if I find some time to setup a virtualbox with kde. I don't want to clobber my ubuntu setup with another shell Wink
Can't you try to debug it to locate the problem ?

Ciao

Max
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42004 is a reply to message #41993] Mon, 10 February 2014 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Massimo,

I've done some search on the net, and come by this thread. Same problem and a small discussion, you may want to read it:

http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2010-08/msg00119.html

These guys seem to hit the same problem. It seems that the GDB MI interface converts the UTF-8 characters to 7 bit + octal representation. So either we have to take care of it, and manually parse the path to UTF-8 or there is a command which can do it for us that I don't know.

Regards.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2014 16:55]

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42026 is a reply to message #42004] Tue, 11 February 2014 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hi all,

I've just uploaded a major debugger revision.

Changes:

1) The lag switching tabs should be gone
2) Stepping speed greatly enhanced
3) Added explorer pane for 'this' variable
4) Removed (disabled by now..) python prettyprinters, they will be replaced by c++ modules
5) Removed usage of GDB variables... they're both too slow and too buggy... now variabled are evaluated by gdb command '-data-evaluate-expression', by far faster even if much more difficult to parse results

By now, of Upp types, just the String is pretty printed, all other types are accessible by internal variables.
I'll try to extend it for most common types, probably implementing some plugin mechanics.

Please test and give suggestions!

Ciao

Max

p.s.: still experimental, even if better than before, so expect some bugs.....

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2014 21:59]

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42041 is a reply to message #42026] Thu, 13 February 2014 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Some more enhancements :

Now type evaluators for most common Upp types : String, Vector, VectorMap, Array and ArrayMap.
You can see it at work inside the 'this' pane.

Please test and report any problem.... the code is still quite experimental.

Ciao

Max
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42046 is a reply to message #42026] Thu, 13 February 2014 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:

Changes:

1) The lag switching tabs should be gone
2) Stepping speed greatly enhanced
3) Added explorer pane for 'this' variable
4) Removed (disabled by now..) python prettyprinters, they will be replaced by c++ modules
5) Removed usage of GDB variables... they're both too slow and too buggy... now variabled are evaluated by gdb command '-data-evaluate-expression', by far faster even if much more difficult to parse results

Hi Massimo,
Thanks for your work!

Currently, with TheIDE (6913), on Arch Linux (kernel v: 3.12.10, KDE 4.12, i686, with no SSE2):

1) Yes, lags are gone. At least in X11 mode. GTK mode in theIDE is so laggy in general that I can't use, so I can't say if there's any noticable speed up there (I mean, TheIDE (GTK), especially the code editor and debugger is laggy to an unusable degree on my machine, but it has nothing to do with debugger per se).

2) Yes, stepping speed is greatly enhanced. Only the first initialization takes a relatively long time (4-5 seconds).

3) This pane and type evaluators seem to work, and is handy.

I've encountered some seemingly random dead locks (happens when I run/exit the same apps several times in debug mode). Unfortunately I couldn't determine the cause yet.

Regards.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 February 2014 11:19]

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42047 is a reply to message #42046] Thu, 13 February 2014 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Massimo and Oblivion,

Quote:

2) Yes, stepping speed is greatly enhanced. Only the first initialization takes a relatively long time (4-5 seconds).

Gdb initialization on KDE still takes a lot of time. On Ubuntu it is super fast.

Moreover, now only the first panes switch is laggy. After that everything seems to works OK on KDE.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42048 is a reply to message #42047] Thu, 13 February 2014 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hi Oblivion and Krugier,

I just noticed slow down when there are many arrays/maps to in 'this' inspector.... gdb needs to be called in several times and that's slow.
I've to decide if it's better to not show first container's elements or to just abort their operation if some event is in queue.
The first is easy but I find handy to see first elements in arrays and maps without having to inspect the variable... the second seems quite hard to achieve.
The alternative would be to add a checkbox on settings page for it.... what is your opinion ?
In my PC for a really complex 'this' class it takes less than half a second without containers evaluation, and more than 5-6 seconds if I have some 10 containers to evaluate, which is clearly too much time.

Ah, tooltips are disabled by now, I'm still implementing them in a fast way, it'll be ready in short time.

About general lags, I have theide in GTK mode and I don't notice any of them....

Ciao

Max

p.s.: Klugier, the 'first pane switching' is not lagging, probably you've got many containers in your class. It's the evaluation that is slow. You'll notice the lag also when stepping, after each quick step (about 0.5 seconds after last step, when re-evaluation begins).

[Updated on: Thu, 13 February 2014 14:25]

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42100 is a reply to message #42048] Wed, 19 February 2014 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hi,

I did a big refactoring on debugger code (linux side).
It's still single-threaded (MT is on the way...) but most lags should be gone.

Please test!

I'll do some more refactoring on explore pane and quick watch, then try to go multithreading in order to remove remaining small lags.

Ciao

Max
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42133 is a reply to message #42100] Sun, 23 February 2014 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Massimo,

It seems, that GDB initializing is slower than previous. (Kubuntu 13.10 - KDE 4.11).

I measured initializing time using my watch. It takes around 15 seconds (5 times for 3 seconds!), so it seems that it consumes too much time. And I don't know how to fix it.

Like I noticed several post ago. This code generates slow KDE initializing time.
MIValue Gdb_MI2::ReadGdb(bool wait)
{
	String output, s;
	MIValue res;

if(wait)
	{
		// blocking path
		// waits for 3 seconds max, then return empty value
		// some commands (in particular if they return python exceptions)
		// have a delay between returned exception text and command result
		// so we shall wait up to the final (gdb)
		int retries = 3; // 13 * 50; // <- This variable is too big for KDE. Max retries is always executed at startup.
		while(dbg && retries--)
		{
			dbg->Read(s);
			output += s;
			if(TrimRight(s).EndsWith("(gdb)"))
				break;
			Sleep(20);
			continue;
		}
	}
	else if(dbg)
		dbg->Read(output);
	if(output.IsEmpty())
		return res;
	return ParseGdb(output);
}

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Sun, 23 February 2014 01:18]

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42136 is a reply to message #42133] Sun, 23 February 2014 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hi Kligier,

this path is needed to wait for correct gdb response.
I don't know why it's so slow on kde, I don't have it right here.

Anyways, I'm refactoring most of MI2 debugger and adding multithreading support, so it should not slow the interface.

If you want to help about your problem, just add this line after dbg->Read(s); one :

RLOG(s);

Run the debugger and post the IDE log contents.

Ciao

Max
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42138 is a reply to message #42136] Sun, 23 February 2014 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Massimo,

I enclose log file.

Sincerely,
Klugier
  • Attachment: theide.log
    (Size: 12.96KB, Downloaded 215 times)

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42168 is a reply to message #42138] Tue, 25 February 2014 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hi,

I refactored all the stuff again, and not there's an option to use multithreading.

So, please test it now, building with an option containing MT.

Ciao

Max
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42247 is a reply to message #42168] Sat, 01 March 2014 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Massimo,

Now, Debugger starts super fast on KDE. I tested with "GTK MT IDE".

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42250 is a reply to message #42247] Sat, 01 March 2014 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Ok thanks.... I think now it's almost perfect.

I have still to check a couple of things and it's finished.

Ciao

Max
Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42315 is a reply to message #42250] Fri, 07 March 2014 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Massimo,

Thank you very much for your efforts.
I too can confirm that the latest TheIDE (MT) on KDE (4.12.3) is now very fast and very responsive (both panes and overall debugging).
The issue with escaped path names that I mentioned before is also fixed.
Keep up the good work!

Regards.

Re: GDB_MI2 debugger fixes [message #42318 is a reply to message #42315] Fri, 07 March 2014 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Thank to you to test Wink

It's still slow updating pane's data, but that one is a GDB limit and I can't do anything about it.... the only solution would be to take LLDB codebase and embed it directly, but that one would be an huge work.

Ciao

Max
Previous Topic: [FEATURE] Improving CSS Highlight
Next Topic: svn can block TheIde
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:38:08 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01295 seconds