Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » [SOLVED] TcpSocket Connect error
[SOLVED] TcpSocket Connect error [message #42396] Tue, 11 March 2014 12:35 Go to next message
steffen is currently offline  steffen

Hi,

Newest uppsrc revision 7033.

Here on my Ubuntu 12.04 workstation I see a problem with TcpSocket.Connect, it always returns true, even if no server is listening at the other end:

TcpSocket client_socket;
client_socket.Timeout(5000);
if (client_socket.Connect("127.0.0.1", 12345)) // Connect to non existing server
{
	LOG("ERROR, Connect returned true");
}
else
{
	LOG("Correct, The connection could not be established");
}

The doc mentions the operation is blocking, but it is not. It does not say anything about the return value, I just assume it would be true on success.

It works if I comment the O_NONBLOCK from Socket.cpp->TcpSocket::SetupSocket(), like this:
if(fcntl(socket, F_SETFL, (fcntl(socket, F_GETFL, 0)/* | O_NONBLOCK*/))) {

I discovered this while trying to connect to a slow server and the not so reader friendly TcpSocket::RawConnect function passed on the SOCKERR(EINPROGRESS) check. No matter if a connection was established or not.

I don't have the in depth knowledge on the upp code base, to say if removing the O_NONBLOCK will cause undesired problems in other places.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 April 2014 07:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42415 is a reply to message #42396] Wed, 12 March 2014 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
steffen wrote on Tue, 11 March 2014 07:35

Hi,

Newest uppsrc revision 7033.

Here on my Ubuntu 12.04 workstation I see a problem with TcpSocket.Connect, it always returns true, even if no server is listening at the other end:

TcpSocket client_socket;
client_socket.Timeout(5000);
if (client_socket.Connect("127.0.0.1", 12345)) // Connect to non existing server
{
	LOG("ERROR, Connect returned true");
}
else
{
	LOG("Correct, The connection could not be established");
}

The doc mentions the operation is blocking, but it is not. It does not say anything about the return value, I just assume it would be true on success.

It works if I comment the O_NONBLOCK from Socket.cpp->TcpSocket::SetupSocket(), like this:
if(fcntl(socket, F_SETFL, (fcntl(socket, F_GETFL, 0)/* | O_NONBLOCK*/))) {

I discovered this while trying to connect to a slow server and the not so reader friendly TcpSocket::RawConnect function passed on the SOCKERR(EINPROGRESS) check. No matter if a connection was established or not.

I don't have the in depth knowledge on the upp code base, to say if removing the O_NONBLOCK will cause undesired problems in other places.

The documentation is misleading. It is only blocking w.r.t. DNS resolve.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 March 2014 10:55]

Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42416 is a reply to message #42396] Wed, 12 March 2014 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks Mirek,

But what about the return value? I would expect TcpSocket.Connect to return true, when it has established a connection.
This is definitely not how it works, if the server is not responding.

I looked at the Linux man page on connect and for non blocking connections it says the following:
Quote:

EINPROGRESS
The socket is nonblocking and the connection cannot be completed immediately.
It is possible to select(2) or poll(2) for completion by selecting the socket for writing.
After select(2) indicates writability, use getsockopt(2) to read the SO_ERROR option at level
SOL_SOCKET to determine whether connect() completed successfully (SO_ERROR is zero) or unsuccessfully
(SO_ERROR is one of the usual error codes listed here, explaining the reason for the failure).

I have attached a small example showing the error and the solution mentioned in the man page:
When connecting to a non existing server, TcpSocket.Connect returns true, but fails on a subsequent write.

I have tested the example on both Windows and Linux, and both systems has the error.

So a solution could be one of these two:
1. Change TcpSocket::SetupSocket() to make a blocking socket:
Change Socket.cpp line 302 to
	if(fcntl(socket, F_SETFL, (fcntl(socket, F_GETFL, 0)))) {

or
2. Implement the getsockopt call to check the connection before returning from RawConnect.
I can make a patch to RawConnect if you would prefer that solution.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 March 2014 17:25]

Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42417 is a reply to message #42416] Wed, 12 March 2014 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, this variant of Connect actually returns 'true' if host name was resolved, false if not.

It should be possible to make things blocking using WaitWrite after Connect, then error can be checked (Wait actually calls select).

In fact, I guess Connect should be changed to the call itself.

Mirek

Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42424 is a reply to message #42396] Thu, 13 March 2014 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I used the WaitWrite in the Connect2 function in my example, but checking errno just after the WaitWrite returns, it still shows 115 (EINPROGRESS).
It only works if I call getsockopt afterwards, then optval is set to 111 (Connection refused).

I have improved the logging in my example, so now the output is like this:
Quote:

Test1 Connecting
After Connect: 115 Operation now in progress
Connected
Sending: My Test String
ERROR: 111 Connection refused

Test2 Connecting
After WaitWrite: 115 Operation now in progress
optval: 111 Connection refused
SUCCESS: No Connection to non existing server.

Test1 is getting the error after the first write attempt, but it should have failed on connect.
Test2 calls getsockopt and detects the missing connection correctly.
Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42425 is a reply to message #42396] Thu, 13 March 2014 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Here is a patched version of RawConnect, I have NOT tried it with IPv6:
bool TcpSocket::RawConnect(addrinfo *arp)
{
	if(!arp) {
		SetSockError("connect", -1, "not found");
		return false;
	}
	String err;
	for(int pass = 0; pass < 2; pass++) {
		addrinfo *rp = arp;
		while(rp)
		{
			if(rp->ai_family == AF_INET == !pass) // Try to connect IPv4 in the first pass
			{
				if (Open(rp->ai_family, rp->ai_socktype, rp->ai_protocol))
				{
					int r = connect(socket, rp->ai_addr, (int)rp->ai_addrlen);
					if(r != 0)
					{
						if (WaitWrite())
						{
							int optval = 0;
							socklen_t optlen = sizeof(optval);
							if (getsockopt(GetSOCKET(), SOL_SOCKET, SO_ERROR, (char*)&optval, &optlen) == 0)
							{
								if (optval == 0)
									r = 0;
								else
								{
									if(err.GetCount())
										err << '\n';
									err << TcpSocketErrorDesc(optval);
								}
							}
						}
					}
					if (r == 0)
					{
						mode = CONNECT;
						return true;
					}
					if(err.GetCount())
						err << '\n';
					err << TcpSocketErrorDesc(GetErrorCode());
					Close();
				}
			}
			rp = rp->ai_next;
		}
	}
	SetSockError("connect", -1, Nvl(err, "failed"));
	return false;
}

And the output from my connect test is:
Quote:

Test1 Connecting

Test2 Connecting

Regards,
Steffen
Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42544 is a reply to message #42425] Sun, 23 March 2014 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I am sorry for the delay, I had to think this through....

I am afraid I would not be happy with this change as proposed. The problem is that one of aims of non-blocking sockets was ability to provide the fully asynchronous mode of operation, as e.g. demonstrated in reference/GuiWebCrawler, where a multitude of HttpRequests is running concurently, in single thread.

By adding Wait into Connect in this exact way, this would no longer be possible, as Connect would start waiting for the connection (would be now blocking).

That said, I understand that current behaviour is not quite correct too, I just do not see the 'right' solution here now....

Mirek
Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42549 is a reply to message #42396] Mon, 24 March 2014 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Mirek,

Thank you for the answer. I thought it might be complicated and I understand you concerns.
I have another suggestion then, that wont break anything:

Could you add a function that can be called prior to Connect, where one can determine if the socket should be blocking or not?
Storing a member variable containing either O_BLOCK or O_NONBLOCK and then use this variable in the SetupSocket function.

bool TcpSocket::SetupSocket()
{
#ifdef PLATFORM_WIN32
	connection_start = msecs();
	u_long arg = 1;
	if(ioctlsocket(socket, FIONBIO, &arg)) {
		SetSockError("ioctlsocket(FIO[N]BIO)");
		return false;
	}
#else
	#ifdef PLATFORM_BSD
	#endif
	if(fcntl(socket, F_SETFL, (fcntl(socket, F_GETFL, 0) | O_NONBLOCK))) {
		SetSockError("fcntl(O_[NON]BLOCK)");
		return false;
	}
#endif
	return true;
}

Would be something like this:
bool TcpSocket::SetupSocket()
{
#ifdef PLATFORM_WIN32
	u_long arg = 1;
	if(ioctlsocket(socket, mBlockingMode, &arg)) {
		SetSockError("ioctlsocket(FIO[N]BIO)");
		return false;
	}
#else
	#ifdef PLATFORM_BSD
	#endif
	if(fcntl(socket, F_SETFL, (fcntl(socket, F_GETFL, 0) | mBlockingMode))) {
		SetSockError("fcntl(O_[NON]BLOCK)");
		return false;
	}
#endif
	return true;
}

As I wrote earlier, commenting out the O_NONBLOCK part also gives correct result.

Regards,
Steffen
Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42550 is a reply to message #42549] Mon, 24 March 2014 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
On the second thought, Connect with host/port is documented as blocking. Perhaps we could add waiting for write or just (temporary) switch to blocking socket just for this Connect variant?

Mirek
Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42552 is a reply to message #42396] Mon, 24 March 2014 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes it would be correct according to documentation, but wouldn't it break the web crawler example?

It seems like I always end up struggling with the same parts when doing communication code. There is excellent helper functions for detecting read and write readiness. But I often have problems with the connection part, either because of slow lines or servers being offline.
It could be a great help if there was an IsConnected() function and/or a WaitConnect() function, like the WaitRead and WaitWrite functions.

Regards,
Steffen
Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42746 is a reply to message #42552] Tue, 01 April 2014 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I have now added "WaitConnect", please check.

I am yet undecided whether to add WaitConnect at the end of Connect... for now, I have changed docs.
Re: TcpSocket Connect error [message #42763 is a reply to message #42396] Wed, 02 April 2014 07:02 Go to previous message

Thank you very much Mirek, it works fine now. Smile

Just leave it out of Connect. It's easy enough to do:
if (socket.Connect(...) && socket.WaitConnect())
{
	// Connected
}
else
{
	LOG(socket.GetErrorDesc());
}
Previous Topic: SSL handshake error
Next Topic: How to use Skylark on external server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:33:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01341 seconds