Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » [Compilation] Include .asm files in build
[Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42541] Sun, 23 March 2014 12:09 Go to next message
crydev is currently offline  crydev
Experienced Member
Hello,

I've been coding on an application that needed and will need .asm files included in the build in the future. I found a thread of how to create custom build steps to compile .asm files. I followed it but I could not get it to work.

Is it possible to get .asm files compiled automatically with a build in the future? It'd be really useful. Smile

Regards,
crydev

[Updated on: Sun, 23 March 2014 12:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42542 is a reply to message #42541] Sun, 23 March 2014 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

crydev wrote on Sun, 23 March 2014 12:09

Hello,

I've been coding on an application that needed and will need .asm files included in the build in the future. I found a thread of how to create custom build steps to compile .asm files. I followed it but I could not get it to work.

Is it possible to get .asm files compiled automatically with a build in the future? It'd be really useful. Smile

Regards,
crydev

Hi crydev,

In my experience, the custom build steps are quite powerful tool. I haven't What have you tried? And why it didn't work?

It should be certainly easier to figure that out, than adding .asm support to all the supported builders Smile Not even talking about fact that there is several asm dialects and it would be probably quite difficult to guess which compiler to use for what file...

Best regards,
Honza
Re: [Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42602 is a reply to message #42542] Wed, 26 March 2014 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

Thank you for your reply. I tried the build steps I found in this thread some time ago. However, I couldn't get it to work.

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=390 12&

I got the 32-bit build step for .asm files to work now. However, the x64 build does not work. It executes ml.exe in favor of ml64.exe. I included the correct bin directories for building x64 code ofcourse.

The compiler is VC10 for both architectures and it works fine with C and C++ code. However, the MASM compilation build step for x64 doesn't. The only difference between the command is using 'ml64' instead of 'ml'. What am I doing wrong?

index.php?t=getfile&id=4479&private=0

Regards,

crydev
  • Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 10.87KB, Downloaded 539 times)
Re: [Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42604 is a reply to message #42602] Wed, 26 March 2014 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

That sounds like some problem whit the evaluation of flags... Could you also post verbose output of the build from TheIDE console?

Thanks,
Honza
Re: [Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42612 is a reply to message #42604] Wed, 26 March 2014 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

I saw the flag of my compiler being MSC10X64 so I tried to use that as flag. However, it didn't work either. The log of my compilation is written below. To be honest I think its not a very good thing that I am not able to see the output of the ml.exe command.

strcmp_sse42.asm
ml /Fo "E:/upp/out/MyApps/CrySearch/VC10x64.Debug.Debug_Full.Gui.Main.Mt.Noblitz.Noi18n.Sse2\strcmp_sse42.obj" /c E:\upp\CrySearch\strcmp_sse42.asm
ml /Fo "E:/upp/out/MyApps/CrySearch/VC10x64.Debug.Debug_Full.Gui.Main.Mt.Noblitz.Noi18n.Sse2\strcmp_sse42.obj" /c E:\upp\CrySearch\strcmp_sse42.asm
Exitcode: 
FAILED: ml /Fo "E:/upp/out/MyApps/CrySearch/VC10x64.Debug.Debug_Full.Gui.Main.Mt.Noblitz.Noi18n.Sse2\strcmp_sse42.obj" /c E:\upp\CrySearch\strcmp_sse42.asm

There were errors. (0:00.14)
Re: [Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42615 is a reply to message #42612] Wed, 26 March 2014 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi crydev,

Now we're getting somewhere Smile

Based on the output, it seems that the flag for your compiler is VC10X64 rather than MSC10X64. Don't ask me why, I'm haven't seen theide on windows for years Smile So, you can try with VC10X64.

If that doesn't help, you can try specifying bit more elaborate tricks with flags. They support some basic expressions, so you can try things like !WIN32 or even better !WIN32 & !POSIX. If that doesn't work either, I'll probably have to get a windows machine to try myself, because this behavior would seem rather suspicious Smile

Honza
Re: [Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42654 is a reply to message #42615] Thu, 27 March 2014 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

When I use the compiler flag (VC10(X64)) as flag for the When field it doesn't execute the build step at all. It seems like WIN32 is defined in 32-bit compilation mode as well as in 64-bit mode. Is there a flag that is not defined in 32 that is in 64?

Regards,
crydev
Re: [Compilation] Include .asm files in build [message #42660 is a reply to message #42654] Thu, 27 March 2014 10:40 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

crydev wrote on Thu, 27 March 2014 08:22

Hi Honza,

When I use the compiler flag (VC10(X64)) as flag for the When field it doesn't execute the build step at all. It seems like WIN32 is defined in 32-bit compilation mode as well as in 64-bit mode. Is there a flag that is not defined in 32 that is in 64?

Regards,
crydev

Ok, I was little afraid of this Sad

But there might be quite simple workaround... You can add flags to build method. Go to Setup > Build Methods and select your 64bit method. Add something like 64BIT to "fixed flags" fields (better into all three, the Common fixed flags one seems broken right now :-/ ). Then do the similar thing for the 32bit build method. After that it should be possible to use 32BIT/64BIT flags in custom build steps.

I hope this will finally work Smile

Honza

PS: There were some changes in the build methods dialog not very long ago. You might want to update your theide to some recent nightly version...
Previous Topic: Should the pick semantics be changed?
Next Topic: How is the u++ repository organized ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:50:55 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01264 seconds