Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Libraries and TheIDE: i18n, Unicode and Internationalization » Some annoyances with TheIde
Some annoyances with TheIde [message #42885] Sun, 13 April 2014 10:55 Go to next message
mingodad is currently offline  mingodad
Hello !

After using other tools and languages and now again trying ultimate++ I'm experimenting some annoyances:

- No selection highlight, when selecting a word on the editor there is no automatic highlight of the same word through the rest of the code, this feature when present makes easy to see another places where that word/identifier is used.

- Error messages from compiler are hard to work as they get mixed with warnings and success messages as well, maybe a filter button to show only errors would make it easy or even highlight the errors.

- When searching the search window always jump to the bottom of the screen, using lubuntu it get's hiding partially by the status bar, I would expect it to mantain it's position.

- Why when switching from project to project it needs to recompile everything from scratch ? If we already compiled core and a lot of other packages for the same settings why we need to recompile it again and again.

- The ide do not show the whole file hierarchy, for example I open the Http.h and there is no way to see in the hierarchy window the whole file, if I click inside a class definition only the class appear, clicking outside any definition no classes appear.

- On the package window (left bottom corner) it's hard to find something there, there is no order, the hierarchy view at least has a button to show in alphabetical order.

- Help window, I expect to have an option to detach it to have a bigger view or a full screen view instead of the squiched one inside the editor.

Thats it for now, using it more with my tests will show if there is other annoyances too.

Again thanks in advance for your time, attention and great work so far !

[Updated on: Mon, 14 April 2014 13:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Some anoyances with TheIde [message #42888 is a reply to message #42885] Sun, 13 April 2014 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quote:

- Why when swithching from project to project it needs to recompile everything from scratch ? If we already compiled core and a lot of other packages for the same settings why we need to recompile it again and again.

I does not need to and it does not usually. Anyway, main configuration has to be the same between packages (main config flags determine the output directory for object files).

Quote:

- The ide do not show the whole file hierarchy, for example I open the Http.h and there is no way to see in the hierarchy window the whole file, if I click inside a class definition only the class appear, clicking outside any definition no classes appear.

First of all, with all heuristics pushed into C++ semi-parser, it is still not 100% realiable.

Anyway, there is small 'file' icon to the right of navigator "search" which might do what you desire.

Quote:

- On the package window (left bottom corner) it's hard to find something there, there is no order, the hierarchy view at least has a button to show in alpahbetical order.

Well, files in left bottom corner should have meaningful ordering by developer. Sorting them would be contraproductive.

Anyway, if you want to find the particular file, there is Alt+Shift+F "Find file".

Quote:

Thats it for now, using it more with my tests will show if there is other anoyances too.

Thanks. I think this year we will concentrate on theide a bit more, so perhaps some of annoyances will get resolved. Hope you will still be around at that time to test it Smile

I am adding some RM tasks for those of suggestions not covered yet.

Mirek
Re: Some anoyances with TheIde [message #42895 is a reply to message #42885] Sun, 13 April 2014 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mingodad wrote on Sun, 13 April 2014 08:55

- When searching the search window allways jump to the bottom of the screen, using lubuntu it get's hidding partially by the status bar, I would expect it to manatin it's position.

Now reading this, what you mean by "hidding by status bar"? Do you mean theide status bar or lubuntu bottom pane? Theide should read workarea from host platform, workarea should account for any desktop environment features...

(Other than that, it is moved away so that you can see the found text).

Mirek
Re: Some anoyances with TheIde [message #42897 is a reply to message #42895] Sun, 13 April 2014 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lubuntu bottom pane.
Re: Some anoyances with TheIde [message #42898 is a reply to message #42897] Sun, 13 April 2014 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mingodad wrote on Sun, 13 April 2014 18:30
Lubuntu bottom pane.

Screenshot possible? Smile

I am only asking because it works fine with Mint Mate... Might be some problem with obtaining workarea from DE.

BTW, are you using multimonitor setup?

Mirek
Re: Some anoyances with TheIde [message #42902 is a reply to message #42898] Sun, 13 April 2014 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a screenshoot of the find window behind the bottom pane on lubuntu.
No multimonitor, it's a simple laptop.
  • Attachment: bug-find.png
    (Size: 39.25KB, Downloaded 333 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 13 April 2014 21:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Some annoyances with TheIde [message #42915 is a reply to message #42885] Mon, 14 April 2014 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another annoyance is when we are debugging and want to see/copy/scroll the value of a variable/string that is larger than the screen width there is no way to do that.
Re: Some anoyances with TheIde [message #43177 is a reply to message #42902] Thu, 29 May 2014 09:05 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
mingodad wrote on Sun, 13 April 2014 21:22
Here is a screenshoot of the find window behind the bottom pane on lubuntu.
No multimonitor, it's a simple laptop.

This is now somewhat fixed. Anyway, the issue is broken (I think) LXDE WM - I am telling it to put the window to be aligned with the bottom of the workspace, some "smart" logic in WM moves it down behind the bottom pane.

I have simply fixed it by moving it a bit up.
Previous Topic: On trunk some help links do not work
Next Topic: Update for Slovak translation file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:09:11 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00997 seconds