Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Issue in docking example application
Issue in docking example application [message #43700] Mon, 22 September 2014 23:01 Go to next message
frankdeprins is currently offline  frankdeprins
Hello Mirek,

In the docking example application, there is an issue.
Well, the issue is not exactly in that example or the docking library, but in CtrlLib.
Here is what I noticed:

- When you minimize a docked window and then hover the tab, the docked window will reveal itself (expand). So far, so good.
- But when you move the mouse back out of the window and it's tab, there is something wrong with the auto-hiding: the window hides itself indeed, but then briefly flashes to it's full size once again.

After some digging, I found the cause to be in the Animate procedure in CtrlUtil.cpp.

The following change made the issue go away:
void Animate(Ctrl& c, const Rect& target, int type)
{
	if(type < 0)
		type = GUI_PopUpEffect();
	Rect r0 = c.GetRect();
	dword time0 = GetTickCount();
	int anitime = 150;
#ifdef SLOWANIMATION
	anitime = 1500;
#endif
	if(type)
		for(;;) {
			int t = int(GetTickCount() - time0);
			if(t > anitime)
				break;
			if(type == GUIEFFECT_SLIDE) {
				Rect r = r0;
				if(r.left != target.left)
				   r.left -= ((r.left - target.left)* t) / anitime;
				if(r.top != target.top)
				   r.top -= ((r.top - target.top) * t) / anitime;
				if(r.right != target.right)
				   r.right += ((target.right - r.right) * t) / anitime;
				if(r.bottom != target.bottom)
				   r.bottom += ((target.bottom - r.bottom) * t) / anitime;
				c.SetRect(r);
			}
			else
			if(type == GUIEFFECT_FADE)
				c.SetAlpha((byte)(255 * t / anitime));
			else
				break;
			c.Sync();
			Sleep(0);
#ifdef SLOWANIMATION
			Sleep(100);
#endif
		}
	c.SetRect(target);
	c.SetAlpha(255);
}

Could you please review this change and, if OK, apply it?
I know this function is used a lot for all animations, so I guess some care will be needed.

Regards,

Frank
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43731 is a reply to message #43700] Sun, 28 September 2014 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
Frank,

Docking, when used together with OpenGL (GLCtrl) produces a unexpected effect: when you AutoHide a docked window and hover the mouse over the hidden window, it affects the main GLCtrl producing its malfunctioning. That is to day: auto-hidding is somehow incompatible with GLCtrl. Do you mind looking into it?

Thx,

Javier
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43735 is a reply to message #43731] Mon, 29 September 2014 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Javier,

I am always prepared to try some things out.
Mind you, there was no OpenGL around when I encountered the issue for which I proposed this fix.

Regards,

Frank
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43736 is a reply to message #43700] Tue, 30 September 2014 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have had bad feeling about these "!=" comparisons, so I have used a little bit more conservative fix, but should be fixed now.

Mirek
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43741 is a reply to message #43736] Tue, 30 September 2014 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 'bouncing' is indeed also fixed with this code but there is one difference:
With the code I proposed, the docked window did it's auto-hiding with a sliding animation while, with this fix, it just closes in one movement.

Frank
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43750 is a reply to message #43741] Thu, 02 October 2014 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Frank,

If you have time to spare please have a look at this example: jus two GLCtrl depicting an spiral. One is the main window and the other is docked. Every time you click with the mouse, the spiral in the clicked window rotates. Simple.

But when you Auto-Hide the secondary GLCtrl then the main window ceases to work properly. Although not shown in this example, when you try to make a zoom or a pan, then the main window gets distorted.

I think that the way Docking is designed imposes a serious limitation when combined with OpenGL. Any suggestion?

Thx.

Javier
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43752 is a reply to message #43750] Thu, 02 October 2014 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm afraid I cannot compile your example; this line (gl_struct1.h):
	void StartDC()const 	{ wglMakeCurrent(GetDC(), GetP); }
raises errors:

GetDC: function does not take 0 arguments
    GetRC: undeclared identifier

I presume this has to do with the fact that I'm on Windows and, I guess, you are on Linux or, at least, something using X11.
I found out that I had to pas GetHWND to GetDC, but for the second error I have no clue what to do.
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43756 is a reply to message #43752] Fri, 03 October 2014 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Frank,

I am sorry: I forgot to mention that I typically use Glew http://glew.sourceforge.net/ (therfore you have to download and install it) and I also make some minor adjustements in GLCtrl (in this regard, please use the attached version of GLCtrl and try again).

In the Package Organizer you should have: When MSC Library: opengl32 glu32 glew32

Thx,

Javier
  • Attachment: GLCtrl.zip
    (Size: 6.93KB, Downloaded 296 times)
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43761 is a reply to message #43756] Mon, 06 October 2014 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry Javier, but now we are talking about quite some amount of custom code.
Can't you reduce the testcase and limit it to the use of Upp code/controls only?
I hope you understand that I cannot check all this custom code, especially since I am completely unfamiliar with OpenGL stuff.

What I did find strange is that the docking animation is extremely slow in your test app.
Could it be you introduced something slowing down the drawing code of your control?
During the animation, the control gets resized and, hence, repainted quite a lot and when there is some slowdown there, it will have quite some influence.
As for the rest, it looked like the contents of the control were not always refreshed/repainted when they should, but I could not really observe distortions.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2014 08:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43763 is a reply to message #43761] Mon, 06 October 2014 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I transformed the GLDrawDemo app from Upp to use docking and noticed the same problems as in your sample:
° GL control is not repainted properly
° Docking animation is terribly slow
Once again, though, I could not observe any distortion or bad drawing other than the repaint issue in the main window. The GL control in the docking window remains black though. I guess that is something I do incorrectly.
On the other hand, I found quite some problem reports about this GLCtrl in the forum and I have the impression that it is not exactly the crown jewel of Upp.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2014 15:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43765 is a reply to message #43763] Mon, 06 October 2014 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Frank,

Thank very much you for your effort.

I think the issue here is the way Docking is designed, its very basic concept that makes it, somehow, not fully compatible with OpenGL when the Auto-Hide mode has been activated.

Is not worthwhile looking into it for we need an expert in both OpenGL and Docking.

Cheers,

Javier
Re: Issue in docking example application [message #43767 is a reply to message #43765] Tue, 07 October 2014 07:45 Go to previous message
Personally, I have the impression that the GlCtrl is the culprit.
Even without the docking, the same problems as I encountered were already reported in this forum.
It looks like, when you have multiple GlCtrl instances in one topwindow, they all paint to the same surface (some static member somewhere?).
In my converted GlDrawDemo -> GLDockDemo app, I had the impression that the docking GlCtrl was drawing to the one in the toplevel window. Something that came to my mind observing your example app as well.
But, as you say, I am not an OpenGL or even graphics expert. So, I'm afraid I'm at the end of this.
Previous Topic: How to suspend/resume cmd.exe
Next Topic: To improve messages in plural
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:50:58 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02204 seconds