Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » IDE not retaining SDK path
IDE not retaining SDK path [message #44508] Thu, 19 March 2015 18:11 Go to next message
eldiener is currently offline  eldiener
Promising Member
Using the latest version of U++ ( 8227 ) and choosing the menu Setup | Automatic setup... I enter the path to the SDK version 7.1a on my machine for VC++ 12.0. I then click the OK button. But when I next open the same dialog the path I entered is gone.

I cannot use VC++ 12.0 if the SDK paths are not there when I try to build.
Re: IDE not retaining SDK path [message #44514 is a reply to message #44508] Thu, 19 March 2015 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
eldiener wrote on Thu, 19 March 2015 18:11
Using the latest version of U++ ( 8227 ) and choosing the menu Setup | Automatic setup... I enter the path to the SDK version 7.1a on my machine for VC++ 12.0. I then click the OK button. But when I next open the same dialog the path I entered is gone.

That is OK. This is dialog for automatic setup of build methods. After hitting OK, build methods are created and are later editable using Setup/Build methods.
Re: IDE not retaining SDK path [message #44516 is a reply to message #44514] Fri, 20 March 2015 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Thu, 19 March 2015 18:25

That is OK. This is dialog for automatic setup of build methods. After hitting OK, build methods are created and are later editable using Setup/Build methods.

But it is clearly not creating the right directories for the Setup/Build methods. For instance I gave the path to the SDK as C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A on my machine. Then when I look at the Setup/Build methods I see for executables C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\bin\x86 which does not exist at all; for include directories C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include\um, C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include\shared, and C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include\winrt, none of which exist; for lib directories C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Lib\winv6.3\um\x86, which also does not exist. Where is the IDE getting this stuff from when clearly it is not looking in the path I gave for the Windows SDK ?

I understand I can manually change these paths but this is a bug for setting them up. Also I still do not understand why Automatic Setup does not retain the path I enter so it always know it for each new package I may add to the system. That seems to also be a bug to me.
Re: IDE not retaining SDK path [message #44517 is a reply to message #44516] Fri, 20 March 2015 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
eldiener wrote on Fri, 20 March 2015 10:04

But it is clearly not creating the right directories for the Setup/Build methods. For instance I gave the path to the SDK as C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A on my machine. Then when I look at the Setup/Build methods I see for executables C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\bin\x86 which does not exist at all; for include directories C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include\um, C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include\shared, and C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include\winrt, none of which exist; for lib directories C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Lib\winv6.3\um\x86, which also does not exist. Where is the IDE getting this stuff from when clearly it is not looking in the path I gave for the Windows SDK ?

I understand I can manually change these paths but this is a bug for setting them up. Also I still do not understand why Automatic Setup does not retain the path I enter so it always know it for each new package I may add to the system. That seems to also be a bug to me.

I agree. If you search trough the forum, there are some message threads associated with VC2012 issues.

The trouble here is that it looks like there are more variants of VC2012 install than we support, it perhaps depends on variant of visual c++ and SDK. Clearly we do not have them covered all in automatic setup.

OTOH, when installing theide, MSC10 SDK is "proven". At the moment, VC2012 does not buy you much compared to this SDK...

Anyway, if you are willing to help, could you please

a) describe your setup (what compilers and SDKs have you installed, what is your OS (32/64?))
b) if you manage to fix the build method into working state, which should not be that hard, could you post it here please? We can model changes to automated setup after that...

Mirek
Re: IDE not retaining SDK path [message #44521 is a reply to message #44517] Sat, 21 March 2015 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Fri, 20 March 2015 07:52
eldiener wrote on Fri, 20 March 2015 10:04

I agree. If you search trough the forum, there are some message threads associated with VC2012 issues.

The trouble here is that it looks like there are more variants of VC2012 install than we support, it perhaps depends on variant of visual c++ and SDK. Clearly we do not have them covered all in automatic setup.

OTOH, when installing theide, MSC10 SDK is "proven". At the moment, VC2012 does not buy you much compared to this SDK...

Anyway, if you are willing to help, could you please

a) describe your setup (what compilers and SDKs have you installed, what is your OS (32/64?))
b) if you manage to fix the build method into working state, which should not be that hard, could you post it here please? We can model changes to automated setup after that...

Mirek

"OTOH, when installing theide, MSC10 SDK is "proven". At the moment, VC2012 does not buy you much compared to this SDK..."

VC++12.0 buys me the fact that I can use a more modern C++ compiler. Why would I want to use a compiler
( VC++ 10.0 ) that is three years older and less C++ compliant ? To say that using VC++12 does not buy me much sounds pretty silly to me. Do you enjoy using older, more buggy, less C++ compliant compilers, and then recommend them as superior solutions ?

I noticed that for VC++ 12.0 the correct SDK is not the one I originally put in when installing U++. The actual paths you are generating, off of the SDK path I originally inputted when installing, are correct for SDKs 8.0 and 8.1. But I had given the path for SDK 7.1 and the paths you generate for that are incorrect. Obviously the code that generates the paths does not bother to look to see what paths actually exist but just hard-codes some results. That's really poor programming.

I then went back into auto-setup and entered the path to the 8.1 SDK and hit OK. As always the path was not retained by auto-setup but what was even worse is that the Build Methods paths were not updated at all based on the path I specified in the auto-setup. I just assume that auto-setup only exists for installation and is totally broken within the IDE. Why have it there if it does not work at all.

I now will have to adjust my paths manually in Build Methods for every project in which I use VC++12. What a PITA, unless you can tell me how to straighten things out so that the Build Methods for VC++12 uses the corrected SDK 8.1 path I entered into auto-setup in the IDE.

answer a) I have all versions of Visual Studio from VS2005 through VS2013 ( VC++ 8 through VC++ 12 ) installed on Windows 7 Ultimate edition. I can also run have Windows 8.1 Professional edition on a multi-boot computer if necessary. The SDKs installed are just the ones which the various Visual Studios install automatically. These are 5.0, 6.0A, 7.0A, 7.1A, 8.0, 8.0A, 8.1, 8.1 A.

answer b) I will post once I have manually changed things and get them to work.
Re: IDE not retaining SDK path [message #44523 is a reply to message #44521] Sun, 22 March 2015 06:38 Go to previous message
Promising Member
Thanks for your help. I am going to be moving on and I wish the best of luck to U++. The product is not for me. Your model of how to build things, where everything is built as an executable with subpackages as static libs or shared libs, is not for me. I do all my development on individual re-usable libraries which get used by executables depending on the needs of the exe. I realized that U++ is not for me when I opened one of your libraries ( core ) and tried to build it as a shared library and it failed because your IDE only allowed it to be built as an executable.

The documentation is also way too minimal for me to use your product.

Good luck, and thanks for your help and patience with my questions !
Previous Topic: gcc-4.9.0
Next Topic: Installation error for tarball upp-x11-src-8756.tar.gz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:02:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01591 seconds