Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Win32 nightly builds now using mingw
Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46274] Wed, 06 April 2016 10:55 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
In recent weeks, in the preparation of move to C++11, I have reworked nightly builds infrastructure to use mingw-w64 5.3.0 to build theide. (instead of MSC9).

After a period of instability, all seems to work fine now (I had to tweak -O options etc...).

Also, mingw-w64 5.3.0 is now bundled...

I hope that everything works fine, but testing and comments is welcome.

Mirek
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46277 is a reply to message #46274] Thu, 07 April 2016 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Excellent! Smile

Now U++ is fully portable. When running TheIDE the first time, it searches and auto installs available MSC compilers and in case of "toolchain download", it also installs its own MinGW. Compiling and running Examples with no problem. My actual U++ installation is unaffected. And TheIDE has been compiled with MinGW! Just to say something, maybe it is necessary in U++ download page to say new Windows users to just run theide.exe or theide32.exe for 32 bits Windows version.

Thank you Mirek.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46278 is a reply to message #46277] Thu, 07 April 2016 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Nice!

I've been trying to integrate more and more GCC in my stuff, but it is not that easy.

This is not related to U++, but me doing funky stuff on program terminate, but often with GCC I have a weird problem: the program crashes on the atexit stage, where I do a pre-global destructor cleanup. And the weird part is that this only happens on a fresh compile after a clean. I compile in optimized mode, crashes. Recompile without optimal mode, no crash. After this, no mater how many times I compile in optimized mode, no more crash and the problem goes away for hours or until I shut down everything and clean the build folder.

This happens on Windows only, and anyway I can't Valgrind, since it is in optimized mode.

But without the cleanup, GCC looks like it works well and I try to compile once a week.
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46280 is a reply to message #46278] Thu, 07 April 2016 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I have found that -O3 mode does not work with mingw. I suspect linker issue....
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46283 is a reply to message #46280] Thu, 07 April 2016 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 23:48

So it is not just me then?

Anyway, I might be able to circumvent the problem.

What I'm doing in the atexit method is basically leak detection. How did you manage to do leak detection in U++, since such code needs to run after global destructors, right?
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46287 is a reply to message #46283] Fri, 08 April 2016 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 23:39
mirek wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 23:48

So it is not just me then?

Anyway, I might be able to circumvent the problem.

Well, this one can be "circumvented" by using -O2 instead Smile (It seems that the speed is similar).

Quote:

What I'm doing in the atexit method is basically leak detection. How did you manage to do leak detection in U++, since such code needs to run after global destructors, right?

Check the code Smile It is at the end of heapdbg.cpp and near then end of Core.h.

MSC and GCC have some means to achieve it. If that does not work, universal approach is to make it the first (or likely first) constructor (Core.h 337).

Mirek
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46299 is a reply to message #46287] Mon, 11 April 2016 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Thank you!

The GCC solution seems more elegant, but I need to try both.

But this is hell to test. I have exactly one clean compile to catch the error, because the second compile works, as long as I change the source code, by adding space somewhere. Sometimes. It is very random.
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46301 is a reply to message #46299] Mon, 11 April 2016 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
That sounds BLITZ related. Sometimes, BLITZ can hide error.
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46302 is a reply to message #46301] Mon, 11 April 2016 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 11 April 2016 15:01
That sounds BLITZ related. Sometimes, BLITZ can hide error.

As I said, very random. But I think I'm finally detecting the pattern: external build method modifies source file time, but content is unchanged, I load up TheIDE, build mode is MSC (not sure if build is needed or not), I switch to GCC and it crashes. I think it doesn't rebuild something. I need a bit of more testing, but I think this pattern is 100% reproducible. Apparently, the atexit code is not the source of the trouble, but I still feel like your solution is better than my hack. Neither is -03 the problem since I checked and TheIDE pushes for -O2.
Re: Win32 nightly builds now using mingw [message #46497 is a reply to message #46278] Mon, 16 May 2016 13:27 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 07 April 2016 11:25
Nice!

I've been trying to integrate more and more GCC in my stuff, but it is not that easy.

This is not related to U++, but me doing funky stuff on program terminate, but often with GCC I have a weird problem: the program crashes on the atexit stage, where I do a pre-global destructor cleanup. And the weird part is that this only happens on a fresh compile after a clean. I compile in optimized mode, crashes. Recompile without optimal mode, no crash. After this, no mater how many times I compile in optimized mode, no more crash and the problem goes away for hours or until I shut down everything and clean the build folder.

This happens on Windows only, and anyway I can't Valgrind, since it is in optimized mode.

But without the cleanup, GCC looks like it works well and I try to compile once a week.

There are two problems here.

First, a TheIDE related linking error. If you change the build method from MSC it can happen.

But sometimes it persisted no matter what.

But I finally found something: removing a single inline from a function fixed this. It appears that maybe TDM has some problems with too aggressive inline-ing. The following code crashes:

inline void _free(void** p) {
	if (*p) {
		STDLIB_GC--;
		free(*p);
	}
	*p = 0;
}

Do you guys see anything wrong with this code? It crashes when freeing some members from global variables.
Previous Topic: TheIDE - Python syntax and indention support
Next Topic: Core: New String methods
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:09:59 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03804 seconds