Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » How to distribute some parts of Core in another library?
Re: How to distribute some parts of Core in another library? [message #48473 is a reply to message #48470] Thu, 06 July 2017 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 06 July 2017 04:22

GPL requires you to publish modified sources. But only to your customers, doesn't mean you must provide them as free download on Internet for everyone.. but the very first customer who will download it may freely post it on Internet, if he wish so, so count GPL as "must publish src".

I didn't know that bit that you were not required to publish it yourself. Thanks!

Otherwise this is high level stuff I found on my own. I'm having problems googling the detail stuff.

The bit where a package is its own license and not the sum license of its dependencies was one such detail.

Another is if you need to register as a copyright owner. I'm about to release a new hand written C++ bit of code on GitHub next week. I can choose its license, but how do I determine the copyright. Do I put just 2017 because it is 2017? Who do I put as the copyright owner? Does the year count? When does it expire? Are some years netter than others or is it not important.

I also want to upload some generated C++ code. The input is not C++, the output is C++. Is the output the same license as the input? Does the license of the generator impact the license of the output?

Many questions!
Re: How to distribute some parts of Core in another library? [message #48479 is a reply to message #48473] Thu, 06 July 2017 18:16 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 06 July 2017 09:28

I'm having problems googling the detail stuff.

That perhaps because nobody really cares that much. The lore is "GPL is bad for bussiness, rest is OK". (Note that "bad for bussiness" does not need to imply a negative thing in all cases). IMO thats all that is to be known.
Previous Topic: stable sort bug.. or looks like it
Next Topic: Sys command truncates captured console output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:44:48 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02368 seconds