FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » UPP SW deployment
UPP SW deployment [message #16872] Fri, 18 July 2008 12:41 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I was recently thinking about what in U++ works for me, and I figured out (among other things) I like the package manager a lot, because starting new project usually requires just that, to enter new name of package, some basic set up about build methods, and you can go straight to writing tests (and code), and you are already producing cross-platform solution (although you have to try to compile sources often at all platforms to avoid some minor syntax problems with different compilers).

This thought did trigger my common set of analytical questions in my head, like what is opposite to this, and from one point of view the opposite of starting project is deployment of finished application to customer.

So that's the story how I run into "How does U++ help with SW deployment now?" question. And "What would help you and can be nice fit for U++? And what is your idea about importance of SW deployment and tasks you do connected to it?"

My personal view is that U++ doesn't help at all, actually the tidiness of source tree with only upp+cpp+h files is amazing (some "init" started to appear lately, is it really needed? Can't this one be built temporarily just during compilation and put rather into "out" dir than in src?) and something I absolutely love, but it also means you have to hunt final .exe somewhere in "out" folder which can be sort of puzzling in case you build with different compilers+flags, so I think U++ right now is a bit hostile in this matter.

I have hard time to figure out what would fit into U++ (TheIDE probably is the main target) and help with this.
Only two things did cross my mind.
1) the "list" of all files needed for application execution (.exe, all .dll/.so files, eventually dependency explorer which can detect usage of all .dll files outside of U++ file tree, so you can check them all visually), probably generated during build process? Or after user request?
2) "export application" (or "deploy"?), which would take all necessary files from "out" directory and copy them into destined folder from user. The result should be something what you can pack and send somebody else, and he will be able to run the application. This together with custom deploy steps (which would add necessary external files to such file tree) sounds good to me.

What are your ideas? Do you think this has some potential and should be targeted in the future of U++? What would save you work and hassle, and what is your way to deploy final SW?

[Updated on: Fri, 18 July 2008 12:43]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: notification email
Next Topic: About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:38:13 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02380 seconds