Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Quick start issues for new users
icon4.gif  Quick start issues for new users [message #5727] Wed, 11 October 2006 11:58 Go to previous message
lancelaneway is currently offline  lancelaneway
First I would like to express my thanks to all who are trying to make this the ultimate compiler for C++ developers.

I have attempted to use this compiler at verious stages of development and here are the issues I have with it:

<1> INSTALLATION: Install dialogs need to be updated. Microsoft Visual C++ free edition 2003 is no longer available (replaced by 2005); but I don't like the Microsoft bloatware anyway and prefer MinGW. And although the latest build comes with the compiler pre-installed, the confusing message about downloading and installing another MinGW copy makes install painful for newvians.

<2> SPEED: Building programs is SSSLLLOOOWWW... ... ... (slow) I would like to build my program at least twice a day so I can make corrections. DevC++ can build small applications in less than 1 second, instead of several long minutes with Ultimate++.

<3> SIZE: They say that bigger is better, but applications that are small can run almost entirely in cache ram of the processor. Even when optimized for size, final programs are 3 times larger than VC6 (Yes this comparison includes statically linked and embedded runtimes on both compilers).

<4> ...(sorry running out of time, but I have more issues)

I know I may have not given this IDE more than a cursory glance primarily due to issue <2>, but I would like those of you who are more experienced to voice your opinions as to why you think that developers should switch from other IDEs to Ultimate++.

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: IconDes class header and impelement file missing