FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » DarkTheme support
Re: Please check the list of 2019.1 changes [message #51483 is a reply to message #51482] Sat, 30 March 2019 12:50 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 30 March 2019 11:22
Tom1 wrote on Fri, 29 March 2019 16:31
Hi Mirek,

On Windows 10 it all still works (after adding Ctrl::SetDarkThemeEnabled(); ).

On Windows 7 the symptoms I mentioned in my last message remain.

Well, M$ dropped the support for Win7 and we have not made it worse by recent changes, so... it will perhaps have to wait before I have some Win7 machine again.

Quote:

Another thing I noticed is that Windows 10 1809 does not alter any icon color at all (or maybe just pure black/white) when switching between light and dark themes. (Please take a look at Windows "File Explorer" toolbar icons while toggling between Light and Dark app modes on Windows > Settings > Personalization > Colors.) For this to work properly, all icons must be colored in a way that prevents them from sinking into the background. Sorry to bring this up this late down the road, but after using TheIDE with dark theme for a while, I have now noticed that I have some difficulty to identify certain TheIDE icons (e.g. Build and Rebuild All on the toolbar) in their dark variant. This may be related to the fact that I have red-green colorblindness (as about 8 % of males do). Using light theme icons on dark background would in most cases work better for me after all. Of course there are some icons that would need to be changed in order to be visible on both dark and light backgrounds. This involves changing from black to mid-grey to support both white and black backgrounds with a single icon.

Oh great...

Mirek

Dark theme support on Windows 7 is not critical for me, but as I found it out during testing, I wanted to let you know. Leaving it as it is, is OK with me.

As for the question with icon coloring/theming, I understand your frustration about it and I'm truly sorry I have not been able to realize this before. Embarassed I'm trying to be helpful, but I understand this is not always the case.

Then again, I do not know where Microsoft is going with this subject either. Anyway, the dark theme support has evolved gradually during recent Windows 10 upgrades and there is no evidence that it would stop here. Next update is just around the corner and news on the preview versions point out some slight changes again.

But in the end, you decide how U++ deals with this.

Best regards,

Tom

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message