Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » What is the difference between learning U++ and Learning C++ through Microsoft Visual Studio? (I am a complete newbie to C related programming. I have project to do for which I have been requested to develope a code on C++. Also, they want to use Open source free licencing software, hence U++. )
Re: What is the difference between learning U++ and Learning C++ through Microsoft Visual Studio? [message #51870 is a reply to message #51858] Mon, 10 June 2019 22:40 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
peterh wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 04:27

In VS, you point the mouse to an operator, variable or function and a popup window gives a short description for its kind and precise type.

VS is using its C++ parser for that, which is not available as a standalone product, AFAIK. The only parser, which TheIDE could use is Clang, but in this case your code should be developed for Clang (you should be able to compile your project with Clang).
What TheIDE is able to do is a compromise. Code navigation isn't perfect, but it works in many cases.
Another "nice" feature of VS is that it often takes hours to open up a relatively big project.

Then you rightklick and you get the source embedded as shown above or goto the definition.
And UPP uses overloaded operators a lot. If you are a newbie and use these operators wrong, then you get a more or less cryptic error message at compile time, nothing more.
Possibly the compiler found an error in a template that is deeply embedded in some other templates and it is hard to figure this out.

IMHO, U++ is very simple, much simpler than anything else in the C++ world. You just need to learn its basic concepts to stop making mistakes. If something doesn't compile it is often enough to just take a look at a class/function declaration. This is just a workflow you need to learn.

Many things are done differently in U++ comparing to other frameworks. In almost all cases U++'s way is better.

In Freepascal Lazarus IDE, if you point to a property, variable or procedure you get an informative popup, this shows type and usage, eventually a short explanation and the choice to open the definition or declaration.

Freepascal/Pascal's syntax is very simple. Parser for this language can be implemented in a couple of hours/days depending on your experience. The same story is with Java and .NET.

C/C++ is a completely different story.

I still think Upp is great work, but to become more accepted, it should create a CMake project that can be used by mainstream IDEs.

I would not be too surprised, if it works in VS if I could build the project in VS.... but Im a beginner with UPP and VS, so I dont know.

Fixing compilation errors and navigating code (especially U++ code) is a trivial task. As soon as you get more familiar with C++ this won't bother you at all.

U++ is something much bigger than just compilation and TheIDE. U++ is about software design, I'd say it is about software philosophy. It is about a different way of thinking. IMHO, this is why it is not that widely accepted. Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Novo

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message