Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #52636 is a reply to message #52635] Sat, 02 November 2019 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello mr_pred,

Thank you for your feedback! I decided to delete these two new repositories uppsrc and example. The reason for that is that we should think what is the best approach of handling the git move. As I told in the previous post submodules gave us some overhead and it doesn't allow to modify submodule A and B in the same commit. For example if you want to modify uppsrc and fix example in the same time. It is not possible with this approach when we assume that uppsrc and examples are different sub-modules.

I list the size of the mirror repository (It weights around 710 Mb which is quite huge number):
8,5M    ./upptst
3,5M    ./examples
71M     ./uppbox
5,5M    ./autotest
91M     ./uppsrc
5,0M    ./rainbow
362M    ./.git
1,2M    ./tutorial
153M    ./bazaar
4,3M    ./reference
88K     ./autotst
9,9M    ./benchmarks
1,1M    ./archive
714M    .

For me the reasonable move is to create new repository without the history of the mirror (.git directory weights around 300 MB) and make decision of removing some code from there. I think bazzar is the good candidate of moving to separate sub-module especially that there is no dependency to the bazaar from other modules. All other directories will be part of the repository without sub-modules. I am aware that we will lose the history, but we will reduce the size of main repo by 300Mb+, which will give us quite reasonable repo size. So, here is the strategy:
8640    ./upptst
3516    ./examples
72592   ./uppbox      // <- UppWeb weights around 62 Mb, so I think it is good candidate for submodule with the link
5544    ./autotest
92692   ./uppsrc
5068    ./rainbow
369812  ./.git
1148    ./tutorial
155900  ./bazaar       // <- Will be moved to separate repository without the link...
4388    ./reference
88      ./autotst      // <- Do we need it anyway, it is similar to autotest, should be unified in new repository
10060   ./benchmarks 
1052    ./archive      // <- I think it can be removed from new repo
730508  .

And then if you want to contribute, all you need to do is clone this repository update uppsrc directory and other assemblies as you want. After that you can simply create branch make changes and create pull request to the main repository.

Mirek, please let me know what do you think about this updated strategy. I can create the preview, but maintaining it for the long time doesn't have much sense.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 November 2019 19:08]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message