Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Some Shocking Facts You Probably Didn't Want to Know about U++ Framework...
Re: Some Shocking Facts You Probably Didn't Want to Know about U++ Framework... [message #55503 is a reply to message #55502] Tue, 17 November 2020 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Tue, 17 November 2020 00:30
Hello Mirek,

I see that your comment on the reddit caused controversy Smile We collected a lot of valuable data. From my point of view - the three main causes why they do not want to use our technology are:
- impossible to write in other IDE's than TheIDE.
- not easy to integrate with other build systems. If I want to add GUI part for existing code (front-end) with U++, this is not possible. Everything needs to be integrated with ecosystem. I know that many people like to work with CMake as a build system, so why not let them work with Upp Smile
- custom allocator is not selling point - we should sell it that our GUI is super responsive thanks to that Smile Anyway, we should think about it and what we would like to do with that.

In my opinion we should focus on U++ as library (only core libraries Console + GUI) and provide it as collection of .so and .dlls. Thanks to that our libraries can be integrated with other build system easily. In this case we should do not bundle allocator - it can works within library, but externally it should be hidden. So, all binaries linking to upp libraries should be in USEMALLOCK mode.

I am thinking about creating tool called udeploy that will compile selected uppsrc libraries and produce folder with shared libraries (.dlls) and headers. udeploy tool should copy headers from packages. In Upp not as a platform mode we should have includes like this:
#include <Upp/CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

With the change described above we should get out of the niche, however the investment in this case is huge. This will also allow Upp to be used in bigger projects.

Should, we do something with aggressive keyword in README.md? I see that there are some remarks about it.

Klugier

Absolutely, that was a flop. udeploy would be great. The article style was wrong idea, posting it on reddit even worse. There is always something to learn... Smile

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Layout Designer has been documented (TheIDE)
Next Topic: 2nd price!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:06:50 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01025 seconds