Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » native look
native look [message #466] Wed, 04 January 2006 13:24 Go to previous message
hojtsy is currently offline  hojtsy
Experienced Member
Hi,
I am very new to U++, I have been playing with Qt4 for a few months now. When coming from Qt background these things are immediately visible:
- both compilation times and runtime performance is far better than in Qt.
- library source code is much smaller than in Qt. In the beginning I was suspecting that I am only seeing a small subset of the code. Smile
- U++ applications have a distinct look which does not match the native Windows 2k look to the extent Qt does. Some examples are arrows in the combo boxes, the file open dialog, radio buttons, scrollbars

I see that there are substantial amount of quality work invested in the library. Compared to all this work it seems a minor effort to mimic the OS look more precisely. Am I speculating correctly if I say that this was intentional choice by the library authors, because they like this look better than the OS native? This seems to be a matter of personal taste. I respect your taste, but my preference would be to develop applications which matches the native look better. The reason is the Rule of Least Surprise: http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/ppt/ppt23.htm
My question is: is there any option/add-on/existing application to mimic the native OS look more precisely or is such planned for U++?

best regards,
Sandor

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Next Topic: Chameleon, graphic technology
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:58:42 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02973 seconds