FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » First impressions
First impressions [message #8010] Sun, 04 February 2007 05:24 Go to previous message
filipg is currently offline  filipg
Howdy. I've been programming for over a decade and using wxWidgets for a few months. I tried out U++ and hope my suggestions help. I downloaded the Linux rpm and it installed without any problems on Fedora 6.

With that said, I spent about 15 minutes looking for something to "run". Maybe a link from theide should exist to "upp"? I had to reinstall with verbose flag to find that what I was really looking for had nothing to do with "upp" - completely unexpected (to a new user!)

Second, it would be very nice if there was a man-page (even one page!) for both "theide" and "upp" - there is currently nothing.

Third, once I executed "theide", I could find no way to ADD an existing tree to the IDE. That is, having a directory of c++ files in a subdirectory "testing", how to make the IDE "see" these files. In fact, I gave up.

Fourth, it would be nice if the "Comparisons" page on the homepage, where U++ is compared with wxWidgets, had some information on specifically which platforms are supported. I see that Linux & Windows are supported but what about Mac OS? PalmOS? WinCE? I know it's under the "Status & Roadmap" but if you're going to compare...

Finally, as there does not appear to be a downloadable version of the documentation, perhaps provide a link to some site-grabber like http://www.httrack.com (free and cross-platform).

U++ looks impressive. If I *wasn't* anxious to try it, I wouldn't be posting here :-)

Cheers,
Fil

P.S. I do not have Internet at home (by choice), so if it's not in the package, I can't get it until the next day.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: the long view (whats the roadmap for UPP?)
Next Topic: crush of the program
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:34:29 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01216 seconds