FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » pkg-config discussion
pkg-config discussion [message #8590] Tue, 20 March 2007 14:31 Go to previous message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
This is probably still a little early, but if it would not take to much time away from other things I would like to start a discussion on adding pkg-config to U++.

While I have not invested a lot of time in implementation and testing, I had played with a simple hack which allowed me to execute a a generic script to grab the configuration information. The problem with this approach, as I had alluded previously, is that there are a number of computer systems security issues that should be addressed so that users cannot gain inappropriate access to system resources or run malicious scripts.

The flip side to this problem is that we do not know ahead of time *all* the package configuration tools that we will need to query. Therefor allowing U++ to run generic scripts during the build process allows the greatest functionality.

One other possibility is to develop a tool that will help cache and manage configuration info when U++ is built and installed. This will sidestep most of the subtler sys admin issues, but will complicate using configuration scripts for user applications.

I have a number of ideas and solutions for each of these design ideas, but will end the post here to solicit thoughts on the matter.

Best regards,

EBo --

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Changeing to recursive critical sections... (?)
Next Topic: Autotool support by Upp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:31:41 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02902 seconds