Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » C++ language problems and code snippets » Template problem
Re: Template problem [message #14323 is a reply to message #14320] Fri, 22 February 2008 14:58 Go to previous message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
waxblood wrote on Fri, 22 February 2008 15:32

I remember Mirek once said somewhere in the forum that inheriting classes from upp containers is discouraged, as it is with STL... . Maybe problems arise just because STL is not designed to do such operations, but I can't tell more.

David

Yeah i know it's not a good behavior but in that case(it was an example from Bjarne C++ programming book) std::vector doesn't raise any exception if you use [] operator over the vector limits and it could result in segmentation fault. So a solution to this problem is to inherit from vector and in new [] operator use return vector::at(i) which raise an exception if i is out of vector limits(see first example).

Sometimes is useful to inherit from containers[ex. if you want to make some gui stuff(ex. sizers) and cannot keep container as member].

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Try / catch