Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » GCC code size optimizations on ARM - GNU/Linux - uClibC
GCC code size optimizations on ARM - GNU/Linux - uClibC [message #16510] Wed, 18 June 2008 18:39 Go to previous message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Hi everyone,

I am currently using theIde as a cross platform IDE for my embedded platform based on an arm926t core, running linux. So far so good, theIde is very useful and easy to configure to use a cross-toolchain.

I made a few test in compiling sample apps based on the Core library as well. Using my arm-linux-uclibc toolchain and a few customizations in the Core library to avoid MMX/SSE detection and other assembly code, I get a 456kB output file for the Core06 example.

In an attempt to reduce the output binary code size as much as possible, I added -ffunction-sections to the compiler options and --gc-sections to the linker options. It used to be a great solution for me on some previous projects. All I got is... 453kB. Not much better. That also means that the source files are well defined, since wrapping sections over object files or over functions is quite the same.

Then I added -fdata-sections to the compiler options, and this time, the size is reduced to 260kB. Great improvement, but makes me wonder:

does anybody here suspect this optimization to make my apps miserably fail later ? I will make tests of course (I'm sharing the device platform so I cannot right now, but tomorrow probably), but I may miss something that someone here already knows about the U++ library that needs this option not to be set.

Anyway, I'll try to give you informed of my results, if anyone interested...

Lionel

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Link error on Linux
Next Topic: FreeBSD: Help, I've lost my templates ....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:00:57 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08372 seconds