Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Re: Final release [message #17007 is a reply to message #17002] Thu, 24 July 2008 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Well, I tried 3 times in the past to switch from windows to Linux. All times because I was tired of viruses/slows down/need to reload the OS every 4-5 monthes.
First time with RH, just 2 weeks and then abandoned.
Second time, Mandrake, 1 month.
Third time with suse.... that one lasted a bit longer, but as usual I went back to windows because of problems.
Sorry... never tried Debian, maybe that would have been better choice.
Now, I'm on ubuntu since... 2 years about, I never had to reformat/reload the OS, nor got viruses... and just one os crash, but it was because I tried something very weird.
With wine now I can use the few apps I need for work... autocad, excel because of old macros (I'm migrating them) and a calculation app that hasn't a Linux counterpart.
I'm very happy with the switch, and I've to thanx Ubuntu because of that.
You're right, Linux misses some standards about dependencies, but... I believe that Ubuntu IS making the standard. Some people may dislike it, but it's so. 80% of users means something, and that's the first time I see that it can beat windows.
In all fields usually the most used stuffs build the standards, not some "artificial" guidelines, see LSB failure.

So, I'm thinking.... if already now 80% of linux users follow ubuntu's standard, maybe other distros should follow it also... I don't mean package managers or so, those belongs to user's preferences, as desktop environment. Just a common environment.

Max

p.s. Sorry for the O.T. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 22:46]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: UPP SW deployment
Next Topic: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:37:36 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02446 seconds