Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Re: Final release [message #17016 is a reply to message #17015] Fri, 25 July 2008 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Zardos wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 23:57

But what does it help if you can only get a limited number of OSS Apps? Sometimes I just need and WANT a commercial app. Photoshop or may be Paint Shop Pro, Software to do my tax. Software which uploads photos to a printing service to get printed photos via mail. And so on... Not starting to talk about games...

Well I have still not completly given up for Linux on the Desktop. For server-apps everything is fine with Linux.
I think things will only change if a big company starts pushing Linux on the desktop and try to make serious money with it.

- Ralf

What about wine ? Now it does work with many commercial apps, and many games, too. Maybe not perfect, but as user base increases, it'll be more and more good.
Up to now you can still run autocad, photoshop, dreamweaver, m$office, among others... I do use it with apps I need and I'm very happy with it.
Ah, with the Vista's miracle ( Smile ) sometimes now wine is more compatible than windows itself...

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: UPP SW deployment
Next Topic: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:30:07 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02139 seconds