Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Re: Final release [message #17031 is a reply to message #17028] Fri, 25 July 2008 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Zardos is currently offline  Zardos
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 25 July 2008 17:16

Has anybody tried GoboLinux? Is it stable? Can it detect hardware well enough so I don't have to spend the next week on a forum just to get my network working? It looks like a fun experiment, but I'm not in the mood for head-ache inducing setups.

I have used it for a year. The concept of the directory layout is beautiful. Installation of programmes is the way as it should be. No package management.

Hardware detection... And the whole rest: It's a hobby distro. With all its consequences. Be prepared for hanging around in forums.

But if you want to try something different and have some time left. It's worth a look.

For me most distros look the same. The difference is just "sucks slightly more" or "sucks slightly less". Ubuntu was the most pain free distro. But after Virtual Box stopped working, because the kernel was updated I have given up. Another problem of all distros is software updates. You have to wait for the mercy of the god like package maintainers until you can get an update. Developers usually do not create packages (to many distros) like for windows. There is no !practical! freedom. Of course I can compile it on my own. But I don't want. I have compiled enough foreign apps in my life. I still like writing programms, but this does not mean I like to compile Virtual box a kernel, Firefox or whatever.

Sorry, my frustration and dissapointment with Linux, GPL Zealots and the whole rest makes me sound like a troll.

This comment on linuxhaters sums it up:
http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-browser-needs-16- exabytes.html#disqus_thread

- Ralf

[Updated on: Fri, 25 July 2008 21:22]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: UPP SW deployment
Next Topic: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:28:26 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02457 seconds